Corsair Community

Which Thermal Compound

fiazio

There is something wrong if your 965 is idling @ 61 C. Either the heatsink is not attached properly or you have too much vcore voltage or something. It's not the thermal compound by itself that is causing the issue unless it's a 1/4" thick???? Some mobo/software temp/voltage readouts are incorrect. Core Temp is usually pretty accurate but the latest Phenom II CPUs also have an unknown temp offset.

From personal experience with a 965 BE I can tell you that the idle temp should be upper 30 C range and full load stress testing ~ 55 C with the OEM or better heatsink/cooler. 62 C is the MAX operating temp for your CPU per AMD so you need to correct the problem or damage the CPU.

As far as TIM goes Ceramique, AS5, MX-2, etc. are all good. There is no need to pay an excessive price for thermal compound unless 1 C means the world to you.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

all I can say is holy crap!!! The bad thing about radiators is even the slightest amount of dust between the fins will put your static pressure to 0 so even with 2500 high cfm fans you would get no air flow. I live in an old house where dust comes from everywhere so I blow mine out every week with an air compressor set at 150psi and it emits one hell of a dust cloud outside.

Even with air-cooled hardware you need to stay on top of dust - especially during the heating season. I use a thin case fan filter and clean it at least monthly. The other fans inside the PC stay reasonably clean but I blow them off with high pressure compressed air every 3-4 months.

Archived