Corsair Community

CM2X2048 vs. CM2X4096 compatibility?

Sabrefly

Helllo,

Sometime ago I bought a 4Gb kit of CM2X2048-8500C5D modules (2 sticks). Now I'd like to upgrade to a 64-bit OS, so I deicided to add another 4Gb. Unfortunately I can't find CM2X2048 kits available where I live, instead there are only CM2X4096-8500C5D modules (also in 2 sticks x2Gb each). Do you know what is the difference between these markings (same 2sticks x2Gb each but marking reads 4096 vs. 2048)? Is it critical if I use my 2 sticks of CM2X2048 and 2 sticks of CM2X4096? Obviously I'd like to use them properly in the Dual Channel and I'm concerned with disturbing it due to the difference as stated above. If it is possible, how should I install (mix) them in the slots? Otherwise please let me know that I'll necessarily need 8Gb of the same 4096 type.

Please advise,

Thanks,

Sabrefly.

If no 8 GB. RAM kits are available and your mobo supports 8 GB. then two of the same part number and revision RAM kits has a better chance of success than two different RAM kits - but there is no gurarantee that either combination will work without issues.

It's worth noting that the RAM latency and frequency that is specified is for one specific RAM kit. So if you use two RAM kits you will most likely need to try and run them at a lower frequency and slower latencies.

If no 8 GB. RAM kits are available and your mobo supports 8 GB. then two of the same part number and revision RAM kits has a better chance of success than two different RAM kits - but there is no gurarantee that either combination will work without issues.

It's worth noting that the RAM latency and frequency that is specified is for one specific RAM kit. So if you use two RAM kits you will most likely need to try and run them at a lower frequency and slower latencies.

All is clear.

Many thanks,

Sabrefly.

Archived