Corsair Community

Defective DDR2 module?

NCCaniac

I was upgrading my brother's PC with a new MSI motherboard (785GTM-E45) that takes DDR2 memory. When I bought the motherboard, I also purchased a 2GB DDR2 Corsair DIMM (labeled on the package "Desktop Memory 2GB 667MHz PC2-5300...the product number on the package is CMR2G667G...the last "G" is not included on the sticker on the DIMM itself, just "CMR2G667").

When I put the module in the motherboard, it was recognized by the BIOS and seemed fine, but when re-installing Windows XP, I continually got a trap in the dmio.sys driver during the windows install. I checked to make sure the DIMM was properly seated in the memory slot. Not sure what the problem was, I removed that Corsair module and installed another 2GB DDR2 DIMM I had (not the same model) and the install completed with no errors. The machine has been running fine for several weeks now.

Since I cannot find the MSI 785GTM-E45 in the memory configurator at this site, I cannot verify for sure the compatibility of that DDR2 module with this board, but the package does say "Compatible with DELL, Gateway, HP and all other DDR2 desktop PCs". The sales person at the store also assured me it should work. I cannot return the module to the store because it is now past their 30 day return policy window. They said I should take it up under warranty with Corsair.

So, what should I do?

Archived