Corsair Community

CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 with a M4A79XTD Evo problems

Callum

Hey

As the title states , i bought theese memory and stuck it in the computer, but im having some issues with it, my games have a tendencies after a while to just stop now and freeze, specially with Bad Company II , the screen just goes black/white and stays that way, i can then alt tab out and shut it down.

If i let the ram voltage stay at Auto then windows will start up in single channel since apparently it doesnt get enough voltage, if i fire it up at 1.64-1.66 volt as specified their supposed to run 1.65 but cant set the mobo at that, they load up as ganged/dual channel but in games like BC2 it freezes the game after a while, when ive played a map or 3, which is quite annoying, specially if i would like to start up my Fallout New Vegas and it would freeze in there, then i'd be really annoyed.

I know some of the older Corsair memory would like to run at 2.10v , so should i try increasing the voltage abit step by step until i find some steady ground or whats the advise from the professionals ?

DDR3 RAM does not use the higher voltage like DDR2 RAM uses. The industry default DDR3 voltage is 1.5 V. For overclocking ~1.65 V is used. It doesn't matter if you set the voltage in BIOS to 1.64 V or 1.66 V. If you are running your RAM above 1333 MHz. you will need the ~1.65 V for the RAM to function properly.

Your CPU is only guaranteed to run the RAM @ 1333 MHz. You can try increasing the CPU-NB to 1.20 V to see if this helps prevent screen freezing with the RAM set to ~1.65 V. 8 GB. places a greater strain on the IMC. Setting the CPU-NB voltage to 1.20 V helps prevent data errors from the IMC to RAM.

DDR3 RAM does not use the higher voltage like DDR2 RAM uses. The industry default DDR3 voltage is 1.5 V. For overclocking ~1.65 V is used. It doesn't matter if you set the voltage in BIOS to 1.64 V or 1.66 V. If you are running your RAM above 1333 MHz. you will need the ~1.65 V for the RAM to function properly.

Your CPU is only guaranteed to run the RAM @ 1333 MHz. You can try increasing the CPU-NB to 1.20 V to see if this helps prevent screen freezing with the RAM set to ~1.65 V. 8 GB. places a greater strain on the IMC. Setting the CPU-NB voltage to 1.20 V helps prevent data errors from the IMC to RAM.

Thanks, ill try that, because ive just run 10 hours of prime95 while sleeping without a single error or warning while the memory was set at 1333mhz with auto dram voltage.

and while the memory was set at 1600mhz with 1.64-1.66-1.68 prime95 wouldnt pass more than 3-4 tests before warnings and errors occured.

1600 MHz. is overclocking of the RAM so there are no guarantees, but a few BIOS changes might get your PC stable at the higher frequency?

The link below has some useful OC'ing info. for Phenom II CPUs:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

The thing is ive been running with a 2x2GB kit from Mushkin Stiletto with same timings 9-9-9-24 , default volt at 1600mhz ever since i bought my computer back in start of april, they were pc12800 as well, just less GB pr stick.

Its this new kit with more GB pr stick that needs to be tweaked to my computer , one way or another :)

Every stick of RAM is unique as are the CPU/mobo, etc. When you try to run these components overclocked you may need to use different BIOS settings - if they will OC at all.

More GB. places a greater strain on the memory controller and will not always run OC'ed stable. 8 GB. is tougher for the IMC than 4 GB. that's for sure.

Please read the technical info. in the Memory Guide below for details:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87341

Every stick of RAM is unique as are the CPU/mobo, etc. When you try to run these components overclocked you may need to use different BIOS settings - if they will OC at all.

More GB. places a greater strain on the memory controller and will not always run OC'ed stable. 8 GB. is tougher for the IMC than 4 GB. that's for sure.

Please read the technical info. in the Memory Guide below for details:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87341

Yea ive read it now and ive checked http://www.corsair.com/products/phenomii/default.aspx

I wasnt really pleased since i can see officially it will only support a 8gig kit as 1333mhz , but the reason i bought this is if i use all 4 dimm sockets , the computer wont run higher than 1333mhz anyhow, can't get it stable at all really with all 4 sockets used with 2 , 2x2 kits, tried that before.

Which was the reason i bought a 2x4 kit , but now that seems impossible as well , and even before with 2 , 2x2 kits so i had a total of 8gb , seemed somewhat impossible to even run at 1333mhz stable on my motherboard, i kept getting crc errors on every file i downloadet that i tried to unpack, it showed up in the end that it was the asus motherboard that has some issues using all 4 dimm sockets at once, im getting pretty close to selling off this am3 setup i have and buying i7 950, a proper gigabyte motherboard and 12gb memory and just take the fight with the mrs later :p

So i tried putting the dram volt at 1.66 as their supposed to get when you apparently OC them to 1600 even tho its their standard speed, and i increased the cpu-nb to 1.20v

Prime95 got 1 error after 4 min and 1 after 6 min on worker #1 and #2

Rest kept on going but stopped them after i was done taking a shower etc. so it ran for roughly 30min, but allready it tells me there that theese memory do not want to run at theese speeds with theese settings, and the timings on the memory is standard 9-9-9-24.

Try 11-11-11-30 2T @ 1.65 V and test.

prime95 have been running for 3½ hours now so far, no errors or warnings have occured, seems very stable at theese settings.

Do you think i can cut it down to 11-11-11-27 perhaps or wont it matter much for my performance ?

Glad it appears more stable. For all practical purposes you won't be able to see any tangible performance difference between 7-7-7-20 and 11-11-11-30 but you're free to try any combo you like.

Nah im gonna trust your judgement on this one , since my memory is only made to run 9-9-9-24 and not cl7 , they are afterall cl9, but upping them to 11-11-11-30 definitly seemed to help, only one time when i was inside bc2 it felt like the computer was dying , barely couldnt move my mouse around my self, but i take it that was just a very bad glitch/lag that occured.

Havent been anything else with the computer at all, but when i go to bed im gonna set prime95 to run.

Do you think ill be able to stick my other set of 2x2 that runs 1.65v and standard 9-9-9-24 in the computer as well ?

with the same timings ofc etc.

Archived