Corsair Community

CMT4GX3M2A1600C6 question

DIESEL TECH

Guys I am running a AMD platform and I was running 4GB of 1600C6 at 6-6-6-20 with no problem but I changed to 8GB of that memory and it is unstable at 6-6-6-20@1.68v so I pushed up the timing to 7-7-7-20@1.68v and it was stable with is the max safe voltage on that Dominator GT. I thought it would run a little tigher timing then that??? I am running 1090T cpu at 3.8ghz. What should the timing be on that dominator??

When you go from two DIMMs to four DIMMs the latency will always need to be higher for the same DIMMs as the memory controller needs more time to access all of the data addresses. You're very lucky if it runs stable at 7-7-7-20. 8-8-8-24 would be more likely required if not slower. IME you won't find hardly any performance diff with the slightly slower latencies.

while i wait for someone to actually answer my questions i can try and help you a bit

1st of all, it would be a good thing to specify both kits used with part number and revision if any

2nd, some corsair dude will tell you that running 4 sticks of ram in all 4 slots of an amd motherboard will most likely push the memory controller too hard and that you are already lucky to run them at 1600 because amd doesnt garanty you anything over 1333, especially with all 4 dimms populated.

3rd specify the board and revision you are using, some boards arent as overclockable as others, and can be picky about rams

corsair can ensure you can run 1600 at 666-20 but that with 2 sticks, not 4.

one thing you may look into is possibly upping the voltage of your cpu-nb if you can, please make sure you read well about that before doing it as it can damage your cpu(just like any other voltage mods you do).

at this time, running 4 sticks at 1600 7-7-7 seems pretty good to me and im sure lots of ppl would agree

In regards to four DIMMS vs. two, it does make it harder on the memory controller which increases heat. With the memory controller built into the CPU this has a limiting factor on both the CPU and memory frequencies that can be used. On socket AM2 mobos AMD uses 1066 MHz. RAM On socket AM3 mobos they upped the RAM frequency to 1333 MHz. Running the RAM at 1600 MHz. is a nice overclock - if your system will do it but not all PCs will, especially with four DIMMs in place.

Archived