Corsair Community

Memory problems, BSOD etc....help pls...

Predikanten

Hi,

after 8 years absence from the PC-world i recently bought components and put together a gaming-pc. Unfortunately things dont seem so easy now as they did 8 years ago. At least not when it comes to getting the memory functioning correctly.

This is what has happened:

I put together my pc, installed win7 64, installed a couple of games, played a few times and everything worked well a few days. Then all of a sudden i got a BSOD during installation of Chrome. Since then the computer has been really weird.

Since i thought that it was software related i did a fresh and clean install of the OS. However, i had to try several times cause i got messages of corrupted files and such during install. At last i got the OS installed correctly but i keep getting messages of corrupted files when trying to launch different programs, software crashes and BSOD's. I have reinstalled the OS several times but with the same problems.

After having checked the harddrive with a harddrive health test I ran memtest86 to check the RAM.

This is what Memtest86 gives me (i have 4GB ram, 2x2GB):

Running both sticks, on Dimm_A1 and Dimm_B1, i get several errors after just a few minutes of testing.

Running only one stick, tried both sticks individually on both Dimm_A1 and B1, i get no errors at all running the test for several hours.

I have tried to change some settings in the BIOS, tried AUTO, tried XMP, tried them at both 1333 and 1600 MHz with the same results in Memtest.

What could be wrong? Need some help please :)

You are correct that there are many more issues to address on newer hardware and more dials to turn in the BIOS... Try RAM voltage set to 1.65V and timings at 9-9-9-24? Your CPU is rated to run memory at up to 1333 MHz. - if everything is set properly.

Thanks trackrat,

however i have tried running them on 1.65V. Regarding the timing settings; when having the bios ram settings on auto (1333 MHz) it says 9-9-9-24 so i guess that is what i have been running on by default?

And also, when i tried XMP-settings 1600MHz in BIOS i noticed that the setting was 9-9-9-24, 1.65V.

You guys with experience and knowledge really need to help me understand.

In my world, if you put in the sticks, have the voltage, frequency and timing parameters as specified by the Corsair it should work. But i guess im wrong? I mean if there really is something wrong in the hardware of my system, why are the sticks functioning separately but not together?

I have warrany on the components so i really want to figure out if i need to replace some faulty component or if its only a matter of getting the correct settings in bios, whatever settings that might be. Im really annoyd of putting so much money on a computer that doesnt work :( ..........specially when i think it should be very straight forward having the system to at least have the correct settings.

Archived