Corsair Community

CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 Bad sticks... need replacement but how?

lordkermit

I just built a new system whose parts I got from newegg. So after a couple weeks of testing and retesting it has come to my attention that I have not one but two bad stick of this memory of the CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 variety (Dominator 2x2GB pc1600 8-8-8-24 1.65v) . Funny though... as I've read on your forums it is currently so new that it is "unsupported". Admittedly I didn't have as much time to test it out as I would have liked so it took a bit longer, and the problem was elusive.

Specifically, once I figured out all the timing/voltage/o.c. stuff in the bios, I only had issues upon cold booting the system. If windows 7 was put into sleep mode or the computer was already warm then the ram performed perfectly in all the stress tests I could throw at it. However upon cold booting (after being off for several hours/all day) windows will consistantly crash and bluescreen until the sticks warm up. As of about 20 minutes ago I ran memtest86 v4.1 immediatly upon cold bootup (as opposed to warm like last night which passed perfectly) and both sticks failed... One at around 2 minutes in and the other about 1.5 minutes in. However, like I said they both perform perfectly once warmed both in stress tests and in games.

I read a forum post somewhere from a gentlemen who had the exact model ram I do and he mentioned something about a manufacturing problem which caused the ram to manifest its errors for him exactly as I described. As such I would like to request a replacement however I cannot do so through the automated website function as it does not list this model. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

P.S. I plan on purchasing another set of exactly this type if I can find it locally so if substitution of my bad sticks for a similar model is going to happen please notify me asap so I know what to get.

Hey thanks for posting in my thread. Nice to know I'm not alone. I have been spending all of my free time over the last week trying to find a solution to the problem with no luck. It's very frustrating. Goood luck and hopefully Corsair can help us both out.

As noted in the other thread your modules are different as is your system, i.e. Intel vs. AMD. There are many things that can cause memory errors. Hopefully you can determine the true cause of the problem. Obviously if the RAM is in fact defective Corsair will replace.

I've dialed in the timings/voltages. After doing so, windows stabilized and I ran all my tests. Prime 95, Burnin, and a couple others including the Memory Diagnostic native to Windows 7. All passed with flying colors over a 24 hour period. I shut the computer off and came back to it the next day. Upon cold booting I got several (4-5) reboots due to Windows blue screening/crashing, then after that Windows booted up perfectly. I reran all the diagnostics and they all came back clean. Over the course of the following week I tested and restested trying to duplicate the issue, including rebuilding Windows from scratch. The only way to duplicate the issue was cold booting. Subsequently I downloaded Memtest and ran it from a cold boot on both sticks (individually) and they both failed. After Windows stabilized I rebooted and ran memtest again and they both passed.

I borrowed a stick from a friend and no issues were reported from a cold boot (on a stripped down system), so this pointed to the memory sticks.. As I said in an earlier post I read a forum posting from a while back from someone who had the exact issue I have and while I have no idea where they got their information they said something about a manufacturing issue that caused cracking, which only manifested upon cold booting. Replacing his sticks solved his issue.

Confirmed.... new ram modules seemed to have solved the cold boot bsod problem. Two cold boots and as much stress testing in the last 24 hrs that I could fit in. Nice to have a fully functional computer.

Roses to newegg for their over and above Customer Service. Raspberries to Corsair for that prompt reponse to the rma problem/request.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived