Corsair Community

Dominator 1600 on X58: frequency, timings and voltages

Hello and thank you for this forum!

Im trying to understand which is the best way to speed up my TR3X6G1600C8D.

My questions:

1) Is it better to increase DRAM frequency vs reducing timings ?

I see that by default they run at low frequency. I tried to increase to 1331Mhz with BCLK 166 and qpi/dram voltage 1.2, dram voltage 1.5, and as for the timings I get 8-9-9-24 by auto. I see that if I reduce timings to 8-8-8-24, with CPU volt at 1.15 my memtest86 wont start at all. I need to increase CPU voltage to 1.1875 or 1.2 to let memtest start.

2) So, what is the relation between the memory DRAM frequency and timings, with the CPU voltage and the other voltages ?

3) Do you know of any comprehesive guide that shows all of these aspects ?

By the way, if I set the XMP profile, do I need to increase BCLK or CPU voltage ? I'm getting errors in LinX (LInpack) with this configuration. Not yet tried memtest.

Thank you much

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

I have found that timings and speed are both important. With the IMC of AMD and i7 I have found timings more beneficial than legacy memory controllers.

I set to XMP and then reboot. I then enter BIOS and set overclocking values after I set to XMP and then test with Memtest. You want to pass Memtest fully before entering Windows and testing further. You definitely need to have the latest BIOS revision installed.

First get stable at 133Mhz BCLCK and XMP. You need to make no further changes with XMP for this testing. That will come later.

Run Memtest for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Hello and thank you for this forum!

Im trying to understand which is the best way to speed up my TR3X6G1600C8D.

My questions:

1) Is it better to increase DRAM frequency vs reducing timings ?

I see that by default they run at low frequency. I tried to increase to 1331Mhz with BCLK 166 and qpi/dram voltage 1.2, dram voltage 1.5, and as for the timings I get 8-9-9-24 by auto. I see that if I reduce timings to 8-8-8-24, with CPU volt at 1.15 my memtest86 wont start at all. I need to increase CPU voltage to 1.1875 or 1.2 to let memtest start.

2) So, what is the relation between the memory DRAM frequency and timings, with the CPU voltage and the other voltages ?

3) Do you know of any comprehesive guide that shows all of these aspects ?

By the way, if I set the XMP profile, do I need to increase BCLK or CPU voltage ? I'm getting errors in LinX (LInpack) with this configuration. Not yet tried memtest.

Thank you much

Archived