Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9DHX - only stable when underclocked.

lalittle

It's not a common event so I am not certain, but the testing method I gave you will ensure that it is not the memory and then we can move to isolation of other parts.

That is if you wish to do the work.

I couldn't afford to tie up the system for that long right now, which is why I just put the 1GB modules back in. This way I could keep working, and it would test the system at 1333 again.

On this note, I have not had another spontaneous boot since doing this, so it appears that the system is once again stable at 1333. This means that so far, here is what we actual "know":

1) 2GB modules (TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX) are stable at 1333.

2) 4GB modules (TW3X4G1333C9DHX) are NOT stable at 1333.

3) 4GB modules ARE stable at 1066.

Looking at THIS evidence, does it point to the RAM? In other words, could it still be the controller given that it CAN run at 1333, but just not with the new modules?

Thanks again,

Larry

Why did the word "critical" get "bleeped" above?

I wrote

"which would seem to confirm that 1066 vs 1333 is the critical issue."

and it was turned into

"which would seem to confirm that 1066 vs 1333 is the ******** issue."

I went ahead and changed it back, but what happened?

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, which is why I previously told you:

The X38/X48 is problematic with high density memory modules. Many people are having the same issues of 128M X 16 = 2GB modules.

The issue is the memory controller. This is shown by the fact that the memory passes memtest. The CPU passes LinX/Prime95 as well. The data stream of CPU <--> Memory Controller <--> Memory shows the issue isolated to the Memory Controller.

I have personally had this issue with an X38 (Maximus Formula) and X48 (Rampage Extreme). My result was to remove the 2GB modules and insert 4 X 1024 modules. The issue ceased. The other method was to drop the speed of the Maximus Formula 1066Mhz memory (2GB Modules) to 800Mhz and the Rampage Extreme (1600C7 Modules) to 1333Mhz. I refused to do that. The new i7 (X58 Chipset) do not have this issue, even when tested with the same memory.

This means that so far, here is what we actual "know":

1) 2GB modules (TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX) are stable at 1333.

2) 4GB modules (TW3X4G1333C9DHX) are NOT stable at 1333.

3) 4GB modules ARE stable at 1066.

Looking at THIS evidence, does it point to the RAM? In other words, could it still be the controller given that it CAN run at 1333, but just not with the new modules?

Hi folks,

(Firstly let me say I have no interest in O/C, I merely like my hardware to run at its advertised speeds)

I'd just like to chime in and say that I am having the same issues with the RAM in my system as well. My OS, mboard and processor both support 4GB 1333 DDR3, yet the only way to allow the system to run in a stable fashion is to leave the bios settings on AUTO. If I manually set the memory FSB, Timings and voltage (have tried up to and included 1.8v) as per the corsair reccomendations I get random lockups in crysis, farcry2. I initially thought it was my x-fi xtreme gamer soundcard causing the issues so I pulled that only to have the PC continue to lockup randomly during these games.

The only solution I have been able to find is selecting the bios auto settings and thus downclocking the memory speed.

JemmyBubbles,

Did you "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS after putting in the RAM, and THEN make the appropriate changes for these modules? This step is always advised, but I was recently told that it's actually NECESSARY in order to get it to work -- something about some settings that are not visible to the user being changed when you do this.

Larry

These are the settings I would try.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Enter the BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before. Enter these values:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio: 7
Fine CPU Clock Ratio: 0.5
CPU Frequency: 2.50Ghz
Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): 333
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): 100
C.I.A.2: Disabled

Advanced Clock Control 

CPU Clock Drive: Auto
PCI Express Clock Drive: Auto
CPU Clock Skew (ps): 0
MCH Clock Skew (ps): 0
DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance: Standard
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch: 333
System Memory Multiplier: 4
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 1333
DRAM Timing Selectable: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control

CAS Latency Time: 9
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 24

Advanced Timing Control

tRRD: Auto
tWTR: Auto
tWR: Auto
tRFC: Auto
tRTP: Auto
Command Rate (CMD): 2

Driving Strength Profiles
Driving Strength 

Channel A

Static tRead value 8
tRD Phase0 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment :Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank):Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank):Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank):Auto
Trdwr(Same/Diff Rank):Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps

Channel B

Static tRead value 8
tRD Phase0 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment :Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank):Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank):Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank):Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank):Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control

Voltage Type: Manual

CPU

CPU Vcore: Auto
CPU Termination: Auto
CPU PLL: Auto
CPU Reference: Auto
CPU Reference2: Auto
MCH/ICH
MCH Core: 1.22
MCH Reference: 0.800v
MCH/DRAM Ref: 0.900v
ICH I/O: 1.5v
ICH Core: 1.100v

DRAM

DRAM voltage: 2.1v
DRAM Termination: 0.900v
Channel A Reference: 0.900v
Channel B Reference: 0.900v

Advanced Settings

Limit CPUID Max. to 3: Disabled
No-Execute Memory Protect: Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Enabled
C2/C2E State Support: N/A
C4/C4E State Support: N/A
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2): Enabled
CPU EIST Function: Enabled
virtualization Technology: Enabled 

Integrated Peripherals
Legacy USB Storage Detect: Enabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

These are the settings I would try...

Thanks for all the details Derek. So Ctrl-F1 unlocks new BIOS settings that you don't normally see? I've never heard of that trick -- thanks.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible for some RAM-related BIOS settings to get set incorrectly if you put in new ram without loading setup defaults -- i.e. if you make changes but don't "start" with loading setup defaults? I've gone back and forth so many times lately that I've lost track of exactly when I did or didn't load setup defaults as I was swapping modules. I'm now wondering if this could be related to my issues.

A couple things struck me about your recommended settings:

1) You recommended 2.1 volts, but the Ramguy said I should try "up to a maximum of 1.9v," and I believe I read somewhere that the maximum "qualified" voltage is 2.0v. Is it really safe to go to 2.1?

2) You said "Legacy USB Storage Detect: Enabled." Isn't this the setting that is supposed to be DISabled for memtest to work properly?

Thanks again,

Larry

Larry, I've been through the pain of having this issue for about 4-5 months now so I know what it feels like. Hopefully you get it resolved soon. If you don't get anywhere with the settings Derek gave you, please see my post:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showpost.php?p=395064&postcount=20

For the CPU / Frontside bus I would keep these specific to your motherboard/cpu e.g. the folllowing settings:

CPU Ratio Setting = AUTO

FSB Frequency = 333

PCIE Frequency = 100

FSB Strap to North Bridge = 333

Derek can you please post settings specific to Larry's machine when you have the time.

Thanks

Archived