Corsair Community

ASUS P5Q PRO with Corsair ddr2 667MHz RAM?

blarue09

Hi,

I am having a bit of freezing problems in windows/windows start-up every now and then and I wonder if my ram is the problem. I have ran memtest86 for a couple hours and there were no errors other than 3 ECC correctable errors.

As per Asus P5Q-PRO specifications:

4 x DIMM, max. 16GB, DDR2 1200 / 1066 / 800 / 667 MHz, non-ECC, un-buffered memory

Dual channel memory architecture

My Current computer Specifications:

RAM: CM2X1024-5400C4 (2 twin packs) = 4Gb

CPU-Z timings (set to Auto in BIOS): 5-5-5-15-2T @ 334.4 MHz

Motherboard: Asus P5Q-PRO with latest BIOS update

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=0&model=2269&modelmenu=1

CPU: Intel Pentium D 830 Smithfield

In the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) of compatible RAM in my ASUS manual it shows a few corsair 667 ddr2 that work with my motherboard but my modules in particular are not listed.

I also checked on the Corsair memory configurator and you do not have my memory listed as compatible.

Why is this? Is there a reason why other 667MHz ram will work but not mine?

Should I be making any custom timing/voltage/frequency changes to the ram in the bios?

Or should I be getting new ram that is on the ASUS QVL and listed on the Corsair Memory configurator?

Please try to help me with this problem if you can thanks.

Using 4 DRAM modules in the board is far different than using 2 DRAM modules. You are advised to DROP the DRAM bandwidth to 533Mhz when populating with 4 667 Modules. You also need to increase your CPU FSB from 200Mhz (800 QDR) to 266Mhz (1066Mhz QDR).

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Set one stick in slot 1 (Closest to the CPU), enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 15
FSB Frequency = 266
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 266

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-533
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  4
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
RAS# PRE Time = 4
RAS# ACT Time = 12
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Disabled
Relax Level = 9
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.9v
NB Voltage = 1.45v
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Volage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down, remove the stick and insert it in the third slot. Retest. Shut the system down insert a stick in first and third slot. Retest. Remove the DRAM and repeat with the other two sticks. Finally, test with all four.

Results?

are all these values safe for my components? 1.45V seems really high, could it harm anything such as my chipset, UBS ports, etc.? I read in the review of the P5Q PRO by xbitlabs.com, http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5q-pro_7.html#sect1 under "overclocking", that:

"Even replacing the original thermal interface with a more efficient organic silicon thermal compound didn’t help us push the NB voltage over 1.32V. As a result, we couldn’t reach stability at FSB speeds beyond 540MHz. Further MCH voltage increase resulted into chip overheating."

I also forgot to mention I have:

Corsair CMPSU-750TX power supply

Evga Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS / 256mb / VGA Memory Clock - 1.0 GHz / VGA Core Clock - 425.3 MHz

Also, I have a bootable cd of Memtest86 V3.4a, is V2.11 better?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I had my computer fixed finally so I am now running on 2 modules (2GB). In my process of finding the source of the problem I ran memtest on all 4 modules of ram that i have individually. I tested the first one in all 4 slots and all passed fine with over 9 passes (overnight, during the day, etc.) one modules, however, failed testing. I tested it a second time just to be sure and it failed again.

here are my results.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/blarue09/DSCF2345.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/blarue09/DSCF2343.jpg

can anyone help me figure out if i need to have this module warrantied or not?

• 8 years later...

Hi

I have a same problem with my memory i have 2 kit of 2 GB in total 8gb on my p5q pro with am intel procesor e8600 fsb 1333. The memory is corsair xms2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 could You help me to setup the bios to Work i specificate i have the Last bios instalez 2102 .

Thank you

Archived