Corsair Community

performance handling (No Signal to Monitor)

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of DRAM in the Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) Enter your BIOS, Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Advanced:

JumperFree Configuration

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU External Frequency (Mhz): 200 
DRAM Frequency: 333 
AGP/PCI Frequency: 66.6/33.3
CPU Vcore Voltage: Auto
DDR Reference Voltage: 2.8v
AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.50V 
Performance Mode: Auto 

CPU Configuration:

CPUID Maximum Value Limit: Disabled 
Hyper Threading Technology: Enabled 

Chipset:

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Enabled
Memory Acceleration Mode: Auto
DRAM Idle Times: 16T
DRAM Refresh Rate: 15.6uSec
Graphics Adapter Priority: AGP/PCI
Graphics Adapter Size: Auto
Spread Spectrum: Auto
MPS Revision: 1.4

USB Configuration:

USB Function: (Set this to how many USB ports you actually use)
Legacy USB Support: Disabled for Memtest, enabled afterwards if you use a USB Keyboard/Mouse)
USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled

Shut the system down and populate all four Slots. If you gain boot, then boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If you do not gain boot. Then remove the sticks except for one in slot 1. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If error free, shut the system down and remove the stick. Insert it into the slot 2 and boot to the memtest CD. Repeat with the other two slots. After you have tested one stick and all four slots, test a stick in slot 1 and slot 3. Then remove that set and test the other set into slot 2 and slot 4.

Results?

differentiating between single channel and dual channel mode in regards to running diagnostics: what can you tell me about troubleshooting both single and dual channel modes as opposed to troubleshooting in single channel mode rather paired mode

what it takes to boot into BIOS, adjusting voltage frequency...

I'm looking at ideas here

here's the result:

2GBs work as a pair, but when adding the extra 2GBs, the monitor goes dead...I reset CMOS sometimes to their default values...the motherboard won't read anything past the 2GBs which is kind of confusing...

I used the values you gave me, and I also found out the video card wasn't seated correctly so I pushed it back in...

in regards to the DDR frequency: what's the difference between setting it at 320 mhz and 400 mhz (since the Corsair XMS chips are rated at 400mhz)

I got signal back to the monitor but now I'm faced with another dilemma

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits and there are no Quad kits in DDR. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules and do not expect even then that they will work and again, no support unless you purchase a quad kit.

For a four DRAM slot population of 400Mhz DRAM you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 333Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

Archived