Corsair Community

TW3X4G1600C9DHX at 1425MHz

Slyde

Hi all, I have this ram installed on a BlackOps board. I can only get it to run at a max of 1425MHz. I'm running it at 1.801v with 9,9,9,24 1T. Is this about all I can expect from this RAM? Any suggestions as to how to get it closer to it's rated speed? Thanks in advance.

Slyde

Hi all, I have this ram installed on a BlackOps board. I can only get it to run at a max of 1425MHz. I'm running it at 1.801v with 9,9,9,24 1T. Is this about all I can expect from this RAM? Any suggestions as to how to get it closer to it's rated speed? Thanks in advance.

Slyde

It's not the DRAM, it's the chipset. It seems to me that all who bought Core 2 chipsets and DDR3 have bought a technology that was not created for each other. I can only reach 1500Mhz with my 2 X 2048 of 1600C7. I can reach far higher with 2 X 1024 and many people are having this same issue with both X48 and P45 and DDR3 platforms. No one seems to be having this issue with i7 (X58) and DDR3.

I have three sets of 1600Mhz DRAM and none of them make 1600Mhz on this $500.00 CAN board. Not stable that is. I can tweak and pass Memtest easily. Linpack easily but when I game, I crash. I get blue screens such as 0x00003B, 0x000007E, System_Service_Exception, etc. When I drop the DRAM down to 1500Mhz and leave all other settings alone and there is no crash.

I will be moving to i7 when the next iteration (32nm) is released and I would bet money that there will be no DDR3 issue. This is just my opinion though. I bet that if you run with 2 X 1024, the issue will not be there. I've been overclocking since the 286 and have been working with computers since the Commodore Vic 20. This is not, in my estimation, an issue with the DRAM, hence the pass of memtest.

Things I have learned. Raise the Northbridge voltage to ~1.5v. Raise CPU PLL to ~1.6v. Northbridge Reference voltage +.50mv.

Can you document your CPU and DRAM settings in the BIOS? I might be able to help a bit. Also, are you setting your DRAM to the second and fourth slots? They work far better in these slots.

Thanks DerikT for the replay. I'm not unhappy with the O/C I have. I was just wondering if I was missing something by not getting the RAM to it's rated value. I had tried several things, loosened timings, adding volts to NB and VDIMM etc. But all's well. Later.

It's not the DRAM, it's the chipset. It seems to me that all who bought Core 2 chipsets and DDR3 have bought a technology that was not created for each other. I can only reach 1500Mhz with my 2 X 2048 of 1600C7. I can reach far higher with 2 X 1024 and many people are having this same issue with both X48 and P45 and DDR3 platforms. No one seems to be having this issue with i7 (X58) and DDR3.

I have three sets of 1600Mhz DRAM and none of them make 1600Mhz on this $500.00 CAN board. Not stable that is. I can tweak and pass Memtest easily. Linpack easily but when I game, I crash. I get blue screens such as 0x00003B, 0x000007E, System_Service_Exception, etc. When I drop the DRAM down to 1500Mhz and leave all other settings alone and there is no crash.

I will be moving to i7 when the next iteration (32nm) is released and I would bet money that there will be no DDR3 issue. This is just my opinion though. I bet that if you run with 2 X 1024, the issue will not be there. I've been overclocking since the 286 and have been working with computers since the Commodore Vic 20. This is not, in my estimation, an issue with the DRAM, hence the pass of memtest.

Things I have learned. Raise the Northbridge voltage to ~1.5v. Raise CPU PLL to ~1.6v. Northbridge Reference voltage +.50mv.

Can you document your CPU and DRAM settings in the BIOS? I might be able to help a bit. Also, are you setting your DRAM to the second and fourth slots? They work far better in these slots.

DerikT....My BIOS settings are back at all stock now(auto). With the exception of FSB setting. It is at 445MHz with a 1:3.202 divider. I have tightened the timing to 8,8,8,24 T1. It is very stable with Prime95, OCCT and 3dMark06 and Vantage, as well as gaming. I have tried to raise NBv, PLLv, loosening timings, bumping up vDIMM to 1.9v. But I can't get more than 1425MHz. Does this shed any light on my situation? Thanks again.

Slyde

DerikT....My BIOS settings are back at all stock now(auto). With the exception of FSB setting. It is at 445MHz with a 1:3.202 divider. I have tightened the timing to 8,8,8,24 T1. It is very stable with Prime95, OCCT and 3dMark06 and Vantage, as well as gaming. I have tried to raise NBv, PLLv, loosening timings, bumping up vDIMM to 1.9v. But I can't get more than 1425MHz. Does this shed any light on my situation? Thanks again.

Slyde

As I said, it seems to be an issue with the chipset and high density DRAM. I see this issue all the time. More voltage will not help and can actually hurt the overclock.

I know that this issue will NOT repeat when I move to i7. We jumped on an older tech (Core 2) with a newer tech (DDR3) and the two clearly are not created with each other in mind. :(:

Hi I have the 1800mhz Dominators 2x2gb. And yes I think it may truly be the chipset. I have been fiddling with my dominators here and there as I already have a stable non 1:1 overclock but I wanted to see if I could get a 1:1 with 1800Mhz DRAM speed. So far it will Prime Blend 1 test then fail although it seems to work if I drop the ram speed down by about 50Mhz or so.... but I can play games fine with all 4gb running at 1869Mhz no problems at all.

I think it might actually be the chipset as Derek mentioned. I have fiddled with everything in the BIOS (maybe not the skews as much as the others but I found that if I have to fiddle with DRAM skews the chances of o/c success are slim)...

My observations so far

I have been so pissed with this 500.00 (Can) board that I sold the POS for a loss and purchased i7 early. Guess what? NO ISSUES at 1600Mhz. Overclocked to 3.2Ghz and 1600Mhz on the DRAM and solid as can be.

ahhh the joys of keeping up with the Joneses.. man unfortunate that companies decide to use the consumer as beta testers for there hardware isnt it? i too want to upgrade to the i7 platform but am going to wait it out as i paid 3 grand for my rig and have to make it last at least a year and a half or my wife will castrate me..:eek:

Overclocked to 3.8Ghz and 1520 on the DRAM. My next move will be 4.0Ghz and 1600Mhz but I have to get the beast's temps calmed down before that move. Very nice overclock so far though. Fully stable at 3.8Ghz and 1.25v. I disabled HT as it adds ~10C to the load temps and I don't need more than four cores with everything I do anyway. Warm beasties but the thermal envelope on these chips are higher.

Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly...this RAM is EPP rated at 1600MHz and JEDEC rated at 1333MHz. I know the JEDEC is a standard. The Blackops board is not EPP. So does this mean the RAM is really 1333 unless someone can enable EPP? If this is a stupid question, bear with me. DerikT, I understand your chipset reference, but alot of people are able to OC their RAM beyond 2000MHz with 775 socket CPU's on Blackops boards. Granted, not 1600 Ram, but I'm just making a point. But I do see how the i7 would be better suited for faster DDR3 ram without a FSB to work thru.

Slyde

EPP is just a documented plug and play for Nvidia chipsets. The only difference between EPP, XMP and JEDEC is that they are different programmed reports that different BIOS requests access for setting values of DRAM. If you set manually with any of them, they are the same. In other words, disabled Nvidia SLi will work with XMP and/or plane JEDEC high end DRAM, etc. etc. Most of the people who are OC'ing their systems with high density and high speed DRAMs on X38/X48/P45 are doing so with 1GB modules. At any rate, you choose to do what you want with your DRAM. I've told you what I know and you take it for whatever you wish.

Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly...this RAM is EPP rated at 1600MHz and JEDEC rated at 1333MHz. I know the JEDEC is a standard. The Blackops board is not EPP. So does this mean the RAM is really 1333 unless someone can enable EPP? If this is a stupid question, bear with me. DerikT, I understand your chipset reference, but alot of people are able to OC their RAM beyond 2000MHz with 775 socket CPU's on Blackops boards. Granted, not 1600 Ram, but I'm just making a point. But I do see how the i7 would be better suited for faster DDR3 ram without a FSB to work thru.

Slyde

Archived