Corsair Community

Overclocking Settings For ASUS Striker Extreme.

hikman

Currently I have an Intel Core 2 Quad, Q6600 Kentsfield With G0 revision (SLACR), 4 GB DDR2 Corsair XMS2 800mhz cm2x2048-6400C5g, ASUS Striker Extreme, Cooler master psu 600 watts (sli ready), an MSI GeForce 7600GS 512mb graphics card, ASUS Silent Knight CPU Cooler, and im running windows xp pro sp2 32bit OS, i really need to know at what extreme can i take these specs 2,

with these settings i got 3.0Ghz, and below this are the results from prime 95

CPU Multiplier [9X] (can it go further than 9?)

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

CPU FSB: 333

CPU Multi: 9

DDR FSB: 800

tCL: 5

tRCD: 5

tRP: 5

tRAS: 18

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD: Auto

tRC: Auto

tWR: Auto

tWTR: Auto

tREF: Auto

Async Latency: Auto

CMD: 2T

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Enabled

Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled

Enhanced C1 (C1E): Enabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Virtualization Technology: Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Enabled

LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 101

PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 101

PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 101

SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 201

-- Voltages --

Vcore = 1.35v

Vdimm (DRAM Voltage) = 2.1v

1.2v HT: 1.3v

NB Vcore: 1.35v

SB Vcore: 1.50v

CPU VTT: 1.30v

CPUID: 0x6FB

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Kentsfield)

Revision: G0

CPU Speed CPU#0 (Core#0) CPU#0 (Core#1) CPU#0 (Core#2) CPU#0 (Core#3)

3000.08 47 48 45 44

3000.08 47 48 46 43

3000.08 47 48 46 43

3000.08 46 48 45 43

but now i need to know settings for 3.2Ghz or better. plz help....

IMG_0775.thumb.jpg.389ad1e5ca5ee5e984a03f8d23aac7b2.jpg

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Download CoreTemp

I would think that you can make 3.2 - 3.6Ghz depending on the chip. Download Core Temp and post a screenshot, NOT a text dump.

Then, set your DRAM to 4-4-4-12 2T timings with 2.1 volts and your NB Core Voltage to 1.40v and test with Memtest. You can not raise the multiplier. It is locked at a maximum of 9 and a minimum of 6 due to speed step. Does your DRAM pass with these settings?

You are already at the high end of thermals for that CPU. At 3.0Ghz with a Prime Load you are at 69C with only a very short time. Your text dump shows 1.35v of Vcore and the screenshots of the BIOS show 1.45v. Is that your Vdrop? Set to 1.45 in BIOS and shows 1.35v in Windows?

i actually changed the voltage from 1.35 to 1.45v because i was trying to see whether the [400mhz (cpu fsb) with 9x multiplier settings] would work by increasing voltage but it still didnt work it would just load the bios screen then it would freeze.

i tested for prime 95 for about 8 hrs that day again a complete test but the core temp program showed the same temperatures as in the previous screen shot i posted

derekt besides all this overclocking phenomenon i initiated i dont see any remarkable differences in windows i mean right now at current settings 4gb ddr2-800 mhz corsair xms 2 ram, cpu clocked @ 3.0 ghz 333 fsb dram @ 800mhz fsb, and i have a 512mb geforce 7600gs graphics card, still opening just a file in windows is a pain it takes pretty long i ran kaspersky antivirus 7.0 and lavasoft ad-aware 7.1 it detected all spyware and viruses and trojans and it deleted them, i regularly defragmentate all my hard drives but still no differences i dont know what to do, if you have any major tweaks in mind i would highly appreciate it. cause my computer is now like a pentium 1.

derekt besides all this overclocking phenomenon i initiated i dont see any remarkable differences in windows i mean right now at current settings 4gb ddr2-800 mhz corsair xms 2 ram, cpu clocked @ 3.0 ghz 333 fsb dram @ 800mhz fsb, and i have a 512mb geforce 7600gs graphics card, still opening just a file in windows is a pain it takes pretty long i ran kaspersky antivirus 7.0 and lavasoft ad-aware 7.1 it detected all spyware and viruses and trojans and it deleted them, i regularly defragmentate all my hard drives but still no differences i dont know what to do, if you have any major tweaks in mind i would highly appreciate it. cause my computer is now like a pentium 1.

There isn't a remarkable difference since you are not a gamer. Only with high end programs such as Photoshop with a great many megabyte files, audio - video multiplexing, etc. will you see great differences. I mean, how fast can you scroll through excel or a web page. You can't game where a faster CPU will make a difference when you have a 7600GS.

You don't make use of the power. My advice is for you to just enjoy your system. Don't make it a chore.

derekt wat cards would u recommend i mean by which manufacturer would be reliable like chaintec, msi, asus,inno 3d,. and tell me a graphics card i should purchase, one thats affordable that has ddr3 and hd capabilities and sli.

plus u didnt tell me what tweaks i could do in windows to make my programs at least open faster and my computer to respond a little faster.

derekt wat cards would u recommend i mean by which manufacturer would be reliable like chaintec, msi, asus,inno 3d,. and tell me a graphics card i should purchase, one thats affordable that has ddr3 and hd capabilities and sli.

plus u didnt tell me what tweaks i could do in windows to make my programs at least open faster and my computer to respond a little faster.

There's not much as you are already overclocked to 3.0Ghz and running with 6400Mhz DRAM. You could increase the FSB of the processor some but other than that you don't want a complete rebuild and you are already running pretty fast. I'm not sure what you are looking for. You don't seem to be satisfied with a 600Mhz overclock of the CPU so I doubt if an 800Mhz or 1000Mhz overclock will do much for you.

I would purchase a card that had a lifetime warranty. This is the Nvidia video cards from either XFX (Double Lifetime), EVGA, BFG. However, unless you are gaming there will not be any real difference in system performance and once again, you will be disappointed. I can't offer advice since I don't know what games you play, are looking to play. The Gforce 260 should do all you could want though.

I really doubt if I can help you. You might wish to try http://www.overclock.net to see what others have to say.

i do play games like ghost recon 2, flight simulator x, halo 2, ect.... its just that i want the pc to run fast at least in windows, i'm asking u repeatedly on how to tweak settings for windows for it to run fast but ur giving other replies. plz post the answer to my question.

besides all this overclocking phenomenon i initiated, i dont see any remarkable differences in windows i mean right now at current settings 4gb ddr2-800 mhz corsair xms 2 ram, cpu clocked @ 3.0 ghz 333 fsb dram @ 800mhz fsb, and i have a 512mb geforce 7600gs graphics card, still opening just a file in windows is a pain it takes pretty long i ran kaspersky antivirus 7.0 and lavasoft ad-aware 7.1 it detected all spyware and viruses and trojans and it deleted them, i regularly defragmentate all my hard drives but still no differences i dont know what to do, if you have any major tweaks in mind i would highly appreciate it. cause my computer is now like a pentium 1.

I really doubt if I can help you. You might wish to try http://www.overclock.net to see what others have to say.

I meant what I said. Possibly someone else here can help you. If your machine is not already fast with the settings you have, then your issue is something beyond an overclock and I don't know what it is. I'm not withholding anything on you. I just don't know how to help you. I come on here to help people find stability and an overclock. You have both, now you are asking me for OS optimizations and I can't help you there.

Overclocking isn't really for making dramatic differences in performances.

Mainly people overclock their systems to get that last n'th in performance. It could mean the difference between jerky game play, to smooth game play.

Or perhaps improving your MP3 rip rate

Or DVD shrink operations.

Other than that, for general day to day work, you will never see a difference.

With that rig, if it's noticeably slow opening common files in windows then I would suspect your windows install cos there's not really a lot of fine tuning you can do to improve os speed so that you'd physically notice it.

When was the last time you did a full format and re-install of your operating system and software?

If you haven't done it too recently it may be that your registry's in a mess.

I'd do a full format and re-install only the software that you actually use.

You have not mentioned which hard drive you are using. The HD is usually where the bottleneck is when opening an application. I'm running a WD 320 SATA-II drive and my system seems like lightening compared to what I had before. There are faster drives than my WD, mind you

Also, when did you last defrag your HD? It can make a difference. I mean a real defrag - not the utility microsoft includes.

im using 3 hd's the following are and they are arranged in the following priority:

1st(Master) .WD 160GB SATA II 16MB Cache,

2nd(Intermediate).WD 200GB SATA II 16MB Cache,

3rd(Last). Samsung 80GB SATA I 8MB cache

and i defragmentated my hd's probably 2 days ago using microsoft's defrag program u have any good one's in mind.

and the wierd thing is when i restart or turn on my computer so when it starts to load all the background services and other program it just pauses for 10 mins then comes back to normal again, i deleted every virus spyware trojan etc, i thnk i should delete the kaspersky antivirus itself. when i right click on something it takes probably 5 secs to open the options and then when i click open it takes like 12 secs to open the file. aaaaaarrrrrrrgghhhh!!!! its so irritating plz help, i even made a page file for windows virtual memory for each drive so as to at least improve gaming performance a little.

I use Paragon's defragmenter. I can't say if it is any better or worse than any others. I do run dual boot and defragment my XP while in Vista, and defragment Vista while in XP. Doing it this way, I get all the system files defragmented without the need for Paragon defrag to spend 30 minutes of my time holding my system hostage while it works before the system can boot up. If you go with Paragon, get their new version. It has a safe mode. Use it that way.

I'm not saying Paragon's is best. I'm sure others have their own opinion. In any event, you want a utility that defragments your MFT as well as your system files. The Microsoft defragmenter will not do that.

Edit to add...

Unplug your internet cable and remove Kapersky and all other background background tasks that run at startup. One of those might be the culprit. Sometimes they spent a fair amount of time doing a scan before they let you have a program. I use Norton 360, which I thought was painfully slow, but I hardly see it at system boot-up now since I upgraded my system.

what do u think about Auslogics Disk Defrag? cause i really dont feel like spending money on a software like Paragon. i mean since Auslogics Disk Defrag is free of course would u recommend it does it have u the features u told me it should like that MFT defraging or smthg?

I cannot recommend anything I have not used. If it is free, you can always try it. Paragon gives you a free 30 day trial period. Others may too. Try them all, if you can. I've never had a problem paying a reasonable price for a quality product, tho. If I did, I'd be running ******** memory. The salesman who sold me my motherboard tried to sell my the ******** stuff for about half the price of Corsair memory. I've never regretted paying a little bit for a quality product.

Archived