Corsair Community

Re-OC

bigbuck08

With 4 X 1024 of 6400C3's, I would start out with 800Mhz @ 5-5-5-15 and begin to move it up from there. You already know your CPU limits so it should be a cake walk. In the beginning, do not use cooling on the DRAM. Use the finger test to see how hot it is getting. This will let you know what kind of cooling you will need on the DRAM as you move up the ladder. I personally would not go higher than 2.25V on that Micron DRAM as it has been found to not do so well in terms of longevity with greater than 2.3V. That's one of the problems with finding a maximal limit with hardware, the longevity can not be found until the amount of time has gone by and this can only be found in time. Your DRAM is the best of the best though and should have the best thermals as well. Start at the bottom and work your way up. :)

Should I have the other settings the same as before just change the timings?

I would heed my advice regarding the DRAM voltage. If you are speaking towards the overclock of the CPU, then yes, you know what your CPU is capable of so now just be more circumspect with the voltages of the DRAM.

I got the timings to 4-4-4-12 at 800. This is with a CPU overclock to 3.0GHz. Should I try setting the Vdimm to 2.3? Just for fun I set it to 2.4 earlier and it passed Memtest at 3-4-3-9. Heres the settings I currently have.

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

CPU FSB: 1334

CPU Multi: 9

DDR FSB: 800

tCL: 4

tRCD: 4

tRP: 4

tRAS: 12

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD: Auto

tRC: Auto

tWR: Auto

tWTR: Auto

tREF: Auto

Asynvc Latency: Auto

CMD: 2T

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Enabled

Limit CPUID MaxVal: Enabled

Enhanced C1 (C1E): Enabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Virtualization Technology: Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Enabled

LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 101

PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 101

PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 101

SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 201

Voltages

Vcore: 1.35v

Vdimm: 2.25v

I got the timings to 4-4-4-12 at 800. This is with a CPU overclock to 3.0GHz. Should I try setting the Vdimm to 2.3? Just for fun I set it to 2.4 earlier and it passed Memtest at 3-4-3-9. Heres the settings I currently have.

Set it to whatever value you want. You know what advice I gave. Do you NOT read what I write? I can do no more than tell you what I think.

Yes I read what you wrote and am thankful that you offer help. You said you wouldnt recommend anything higher than 2.3v. I was just wondering if that included 2.3v.

Edit:

Assuming you meant 2.3v would be ok I changed it to that and it works! Ran Memtest for 2 passes and no errors!

Heres the settings I have now:

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

CPU FSB: 1334

CPU Multi: 9

DDR FSB: 800

tCL: 3

tRCD: 4

tRP: 3

tRAS: 9

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD: Auto

tRC: Auto

tWR: Auto

tWTR: Auto

tREF: Auto

Asynvc Latency: Auto

CMD: 2T

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Enabled

Limit CPUID MaxVal: Enabled

Enhanced C1 (C1E): Enabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Virtualization Technology: Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Enabled

LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 101

PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 101

PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 101

SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 201

Voltages

Vcore: 1.35v

Vdimm: 2.3

Just for fun I set it to 2.4 earlier and it passed Memtest at 3-4-3-9.

This is what I was responding to :)

Edit:

Keep in mind that you are using 4 X 1024 and running them at the 2 X 1024 recommended speed and latencies. I would be careful with the DRAM voltages personally.

I see. I actually tried 2.4v before your reply lol. I have it at 2.3v, since thats below the recommended shouldnt it be fine even though im running 4GB? I would think that since there is more ram it would need more than 2.4v. Am I missing something? :confused:

I would think that since there is more ram it would need more than 2.4v. Am I missing something? :confused:

You are missing the effects of running with 4 slots filled and running at the settings of a Dual Channel Kit. The issue will be that you are running two kits at the speeds and voltages of a single kit.

If, in six months or a year down the road, your DRAM is damaged and there is no more 6400C3 then RMA will have to be exchanged for what is around and by that time, there might only be the average DRAM. This is the case for DDR. Try finding RMA for TCCD 2-2-2-5 stuff.

So, yes, if you try to run those 4 sticks like it was 2 sticks, then I have no doubt we will see you down the road. I would stick with 2.3V and go no higher personally, but it isn't my DRAM. Mine is running fine and I think it will be running fine next year :p:

The choice is yours though. You know what I think, what I advise and now you need to make your informed choice on what you want to do with "your" DRAM.

Good luck

There seems to be confusion here, atleast for me anyway lol. I understand that running with all 4 dimm slots populated is a crap shoot like you say and was very suprised and happy that it works. I also understand that running higher than the 2.3v with 4GB could cause problems as you say. I guess what I was going for is trying to clarify that 2.3v wont cause problems. I know it is my RAM and am also very happy it is and it is very good RAM.

Just a side not. While I am typing this I am running Prime95, Large FFT, with my overclock and the settings posted above. It is running under full load at 48C! I know this it is 30 degress outside and it makes a difference but I think it would still run cool in the summer. Im happy I took the time to clean out and sort of redo my PC when I installed the new MB. Once again let me thank you for all your help. You are right, you will see me here again. When I want to overclock my next PC. :laughing:

It sounds all good. Remember that your overclock will deal with the MCH issues and thus with an overclock, you can reach the speeds that without the overclock, could be harmful.

The voltage at 2.3v is the top end in my view. Your overclock will deal with the MCH issues that I said were cumulative and degenerative. These characteristics will not (I believe) show in an overclocked MCH as they will in a non overclock MCH. Setting the Voltage of the MCH does NOT overclock the MCH. Only the CPU <--> MCH <--> DRAM overclock does that and you are there. :)

I go through a lot of posts so I do get a bit confused and rather than give the wrong advice, I give both. I gave both non-overclocked and overclocked advice. If not overclocked, then running the DRAM with 4 banks populated at the full 2 banks speeds is not advised. When overclocked, it is fine as long as the voltages are not extreme. Also, regarding Micron D9's. It has been lately found that higher voltages are not good for longevity and the only way to find this out has been people overclocking with high voltages and posting their results in time. Now we have a few years of data in the Enthusiast arena and we can see that high voltages have a debilitating effect on the Microns.

Archived