Corsair Community

Can I use any memory with my TWINXP1024-3200XL?

redmarble

Hi. I would like to add more memory to my system, 2 more gigs (2x1GB.)

What Corsair memory can I use with my current setup:

1GB (2x512MB) TWINXP1024-3200XL

Asus A8N-sli Deluxe mobo (4 memory slots) also, I'm only using one video card and not two (SLI mode) and don't intend to.

** Two slots are already used by my two 512MB sticks. I would like to add 2x1GB sticks on the remainder two slots- making it a total of 3gigs.

Do I need to use high-density, low-density memory, or either?

Can I use Value Select memory? (I just want to add more memory to my system, I'm not really into games; Graphics, yes: Adobe Photoshop CS3, Nikon Capture NX, and Adobe Lightroom

I also don't want to "break the bank," so I really don't want to spend over $180 on 2 more gigs!

I know swapping to corsair Twinx2048-3200C2 is recommended but can't I add other memory?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Joey

redmarble,

It is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED to mix any other memory with your existing 3200XL modules. The IC chips used to manufacture those modules are no longer in production, and any other module mixed with your modules will either result in your system refusing to even POST at all or force a memory clock speed drop to PC1600 (DDR200) speed with extremely high latency timings (e.g. 3-7-7-x). Such a memory speed drop will noticeably degrade system performance. The end result is that on some of your everyday applications, your 3500+ would end up performing slower than even a 1.0 GHz Pentium III system.

Archived