Corsair Community

I have Memory Problems!!!!!!!

stranded

This is a brand new system that I am starting.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (Rev 2) (Firmware F8, latest)

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800

Corsari CM2X1024-6400 (2 Gig)

EVGA 7900 GT KO Video

2 WD Raptor 150 Gig 10K in Raid1

Zalman Cooler

I tried installing this system and everything would freeze after a few minutes. I could get to certain parts of the install and everything would stop. I would have to power down and back up. (It was driving me crazy). I pulled one (1) stick of memory out, and now everything works great. The drives will now format, the OS will install, etc. How could one stick of this memory lock my system up? Also, can I ever install the second gig of memory. Do I need a diffent style of memory? My CPU temp has never exceeded 41 deg C.

I tried another stick of the same memory and version number after I installed the OS and all the drivers. System will boot and recognize the extra 1 gig but will then lock up. (I have to cycle power to reboot.) I have the voltage set +.3 so this should give me 2.1 Volts. Is there another setting that will allow me to add the second 1 gig module?

Another update; I moved the Ram to the other channel (Red ones). I did this to check if I had a bad memory slot in the other Channel (Yellow ones). The computer acts just as before. I made it to the web and was reading an article and the computer just froze. Once again, I have to cut off the power and remove the second 1 gig of memory for the computer function properly. Is there anyone that might have any suggestions? I have 4 gig of this memory but I can only get 1 gig to work. It is set at 800 Mhz. Should I go lower (2.5 x instead of 3 times)?

Thanks.

Well I have ran the MemTest ver 1.7 and every time the computer freezes during test 4. This does this on both sticks of memory. I tested both 1 at a time. I am started to believe this memory does not work with this MB even though it is listed as compatible. I even bumped the bus down from 800 to 667. It still locked up during test 4 although it made it 20 seconds longer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guess most people are doing something else this Saturday besides looking at these boards.

Thanks.

Quote from Memtest.org from their admin on 1-15-07;

"Seems like Memtest86+ V1.71 will come soon.

I used an engineering-sample board of the 965P with an A0 stepping, and many things changed in the retail version. So, the support for this chipset doesn't work on Memtest86+ V1.70. No problem with the 975X. I'll receive a retail 965 board this week. V1.71 expected within one week. "

This may be the reason this test keeps freezing.

Well.... P965 just OWNZ me....

After hours of hard coding, I must admit that I just CAN'T access this f*****g chipset. Something seems to goes wrong with the Intel board I received. Even CPU-Z is unable to access the P965 on this board. All seems to works fine on another board, but I don't have one right now. I'll ask Franck to know if he knows some tricks about that...

Memtest86+ V1.71 will be a bit late...

My system has been stable (as far as I know) for the last 7 hours. I had to drop the system memory speed to 667 when I add the second 1 gig of memory. At 800, 1 stick was stable but 2 would freeze the system. At 2 Gig, I had to drop the speed to 667. You would think this would be in the MB manual. This may have been obvious to some, but not to me. Why can't this memory run at 800 with 2 gig?

Archived