Corsair Community

Corsair Ram Chips

PC4200 ValueSelect VS512MB533D2 - Micron BT-3/D9DQT relabeled als Corsair MHI00519 64M8CEC

These are 512MB PC2-5300 Strips of Micron chips rated at 533Mhz. They have a Cas Latency of 4 at 533Mhz.

I would say that you would have no problems making 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 at 667Mhz with 2.1v.

You might well do even better with these modules. Keep in mind, they are only guarenteed to perform to the 533Mhz with a Cas Latency of 4.

PC4200 ValueSelect VS512MB533D2 - Micron BT-3/D9DQT relabeled als Corsair MHI00519 64M8CEC

These are 512MB PC2-5300 Strips of Micron chips rated at 533Mhz. They have a Cas Latency of 4 at 533Mhz.

I would say that you would have no problems making 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 at 667Mhz with 2.1v.

You might well do even better with these modules. Keep in mind, they are only guarenteed to perform to the 533Mhz with a Cas Latency of 4.

Well I already have some PC5400LA 4-4-4-12 chips which do DDR667 at 1.8v. These ones cant overclock past 386mhz no matter what kind of voltage I pump into them and no matter how crappy I set the timings. Do you think it would be worth it to trade for those corsair sticks?

Well I already have some ******** PC5400LA 4-4-4-12 chips which do DDR667 at 1.8v. These ones cant overclock past 386mhz no matter what kind of voltage I pump into them and no matter how crappy I set the timings. Do you think it would be worth it to trade for those corsair sticks?

Keep in mind that the 386 is X 2 (Dual Channel) = 772MHz. I can't say what the other chips will clock up to as they might have very little headroom. So I can't really advise you unless you tested them and told me of the headroom.

4 - 4 - 4 - 12 @ 1.8v for 667Mhz might well give you some decent headroom such as 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 @ 2.1v with 800MHz. It all depends. It might well not do it either. Test and find out, then make your choice is my advice.

Please edit out the manufacturer's name. I knew what they were by the model anyway. However, it is not correct to circumvent the Forum rules. :)

Keep in mind that the 386 is X 2 (Dual Channel) = 772MHz. I can't say what the other chips will clock up to as they might have very little headroom. So I can't really advise you unless you tested them and told me of the headroom.

4 - 4 - 4 - 12 @ 1.8v for 667Mhz might well give you some decent headroom such as 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 @ 2.1v with 800MHz. It all depends. It might well not do it either. Test and find out, then make your choice is my advice.

Well I tried my ram at DDR800 6-6-6-15 @ 2.2v and I couldnt even boot at DDR800. Tried pumping some more voltage into my chipset, no difference.

Though micron chips usually overclock pretty well dont they? So maybe just take the risk and get them.

EDIT: sorry about breaking the rule, I didnt actually know of that rule so I just was left wondering :P

Though micron chips usually overclock pretty well dont they? So maybe just take the risk and get them.

Actually, that is the chance I would take as well. The micron's are nice chips but you can also be certain that they have been tested and down binned as not acceptable for the higher performance modules. So it is a crap shoot but hey, that's what makes us Enthusiasts. If we were not, we would just buy the highest quality. That's no fun :p

No problem and thanks for the edit :)

Actually, that is the chance I would take as well. The micron's are nice chips but you can also be certain that they have been tested and down binned as not acceptable for the higher performance modules. So it is a crap shoot but hey, that's what makes us Enthusiasts. If we were not, we would just buy the highest quality. That's no fun :p

No problem and thanks for the edit :)

I did a quick google on the D9DQT and upon looking at a list of ram modules and their chips it seems that the D9DQT are used in PC8000 memory as well as the PC6400 and PC5400. Does that mean I could probaly be pretty sure some of those speeds should be acheivable?

I did a quick google on the D9DQT and upon looking at a list of ram modules and their chips it seems that the D9DQT are used in PC8000 memory as well as the PC6400 and PC5400. Does that mean I could probaly be pretty sure some of those speeds should be acheivable?

No, you can not be pretty sure. Be sure that they have been down binned and so they did NOT meet Corsairs stringent quality tests for PC8000 and PC6400. They still might well make a decent overclock but nothing that can be assured.

No, you can not be pretty sure. Be sure that they have been down binned and so they did NOT meet Corsairs stringent quality tests for PC8000 and PC6400. They still might well make a decent overclock but nothing that can be assured.

Ok I have decided to take the plunge and take the trade. If I get this trade I will of course post back and show the results. Thanks DerekT for all the help, its greatly appreciated :D:

hi all, i am the owner of the chips skootlyloops is reffering to:biggrin:

so far this is where i'm at:

??????? ?????? VS512MB533D2(i'm assuming i'm supposed to NOT mention the brand??)

printed on the chips:

M11100607 64M8CEC

395 fsb@1.8vDimm memtest passed 5-5-5-15

400 FSB@1.8 vDimm memtest errors 5-5-5-15

400 fsb@1.9 vdimm memtest passed 5-5-5-15

405 fsb@1.9 vdimm memtest passed 5-5-5-15

410 fsb@1.9 vdimm memtest passed 5-5-5-15

420 fsb@2.0 vdimm 13 passes of test 5 5-5-5-15

system

E6300(stock Vcore and cooler atm)

gigabyte 965P-S3

corsair value select

7600gs

generic atx v2.0 psu(400watt)

any suggestions as to what i should try????

what do you guys think???

hi all, i am the owner of the chips skootlyloops is reffering to:biggrin:

so far this is where i'm at:

??????? ?????? VS512MB533D2(i'm assuming i'm supposed to NOT mention the brand??)

printed on the chips:

M11100607 64M8CEC

395 fsb@1.8vDimm memtest passed 5-5-5-15

400 FSB@1.8 vDimm memtest errors 5-5-5-15

400 fsb@1.9 vdimm memtest passed 5-5-5-15

405 fsb@1.9 vdimm memtest passed 5-5-5-15

system

E6300(stock Vcore and cooler atm)

gigabyte 965P-S3

corsair value select

7600gs

generic atx v2.0 psu(400watt)

any suggestions as to what i should try????

what do you guys think???

Those are Corsair Rams. You can mention the Corsair RAM name here :)

You can consider the generic 400Watt PSU as the anchor holding you back in long term use. The stock cooler is your second issue. I would personally not go any further than a 400Mhz FSB and stock voltages with your stock cooler and generic 400Watt PSU.

I can not even support giving any other advice in overclocking with those two components other than you need to upgrade your PSU for long term system health.

The stock cooler with a 2.8Ghz overclock 400 X 7 = 2.8Ghz is about as high as I would take it but I do not even know if that PSU can give you stable rails at even that overclock.

My advice?

A good PSU with a minimum of 36 Amps on the +12V rail or 18 Amps on two +12V rails. Such as the Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W with triple +12V rails and 40 Amps Continuous. That's 3 18 Amps +12V rails!

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/HX_power_supply.html

This will allow you all the power you need to overclock and expect long term stability. It is easy to begin an overclock but to maintain a healthy one for long term use, genereic PSU's will not stand the test of time.

the generic psu is for testing ONLY, once i'm happy with the setup, and i install

the system into a case, it will be getting my antec TC550watt.

a new cooler is also on the cards in the next few days, probably a TT big typhoon, as i have owned one of these before.

thanks for the advice :biggrin:

the generic psu is for testing ONLY, once i'm happy with the setup, and i install

the system into a case, it will be getting my antec TC550watt.

a new cooler is also on the cards in the next few days, probably a TT big typhoon, as i have owned one of these before.

thanks for the advice :biggrin:

The BT is my favorite as well since it cools the motherboard very nicely as well. That Exteme Spirit II (Thermaltake) is only $18.00USD and it keeps the Northbridge very cool. :)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Ropey123/HPIM0092.jpg

With that E6300 and your motherboard, you will be held back by your dram as this board will only do 1:1 (and greater) ratios. I have personally seen 3.2 - 3.4Ghz with that CPU

Continue testing once you get a better PSU. You can test with the stock cooler. I look forward to seeing what this CPU will do with that dram. You are doing very nice already.

orthos is running now, 30 mins so far, will google core temp and get back to you.

just like to add that there was very little planning in this hardware, pure dumb luck, about time i won 1 ;):

core temp says 68 on both cores, easy tunes says 57?? what gives????

once its stable(prime) for a few hours, i will clock it back till i get a better hsf i think

The BT is my favorite as well since it cools the motherboard very nicely as well. That Exteme Spirit II (Thermaltake) is only $18.00USD and it keeps the Northbridge very cool. :)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Ropey123/HPIM0092.jpg

With that E6300 and your motherboard, you will be held back by your dram as this board will only do 1:1 (and greater) ratios. I have personally seen 3.2 - 3.4Ghz with that CPU

Continue testing once you get a better PSU. You can test with the stock cooler. I look forward to seeing what this CPU will do with that dram. You are doing very nice already.

the NB does get a bit toasty doesn't it:bigeyes: will probably leave it and have 2

120mm@5volts on a zalman fan bracket, that and a 120mm intake, and

an exhaust should give good flow.

really can't be assed with water again, luckily this chip doesn't really need

extreme cooling

That should be fine airflow over the Northbridge and yes, it does get toasty which is why I went for the Extreme Spirit II. It's so cheap and now i can put my finger on the bridge (at the bottom) and it is hardly warm.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S8#

Note the difference between 'thermal design power' and 'thermal specification':

Thermal Design Power (65w): (Also referred to as Thermal Guideline) The maximum amount of heat which a thermal solution must be able to dissipate from the processor so that the processor will operate under normal operating conditions.

Thermal Specification (60.1c): The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader.

Core Temp reads a digital temp sensor built directly into each core. With a Tcase max of 85c, a Tjunction of 60c then 60c load is perfectly fine although I like it a bit cooler myself. My load temps are 55/57C with dual folding and 58/60C with TAT full load and 56/58 with dual Orthos. I would get that cooler you speak of even if you are at the upper limit for long term loads.

The problem is that most have been led astray by the prior method of analogue thermistor, and algorithmic calculation (Even the BIOS utilizes this method) to render thermal readouts. The readouts were not indicative of the actual core thermals, and as such were lower by a fair amount than the actual thermal temperatures.

This has given most people the view that 35 - 55C is a healthy readout. This is not the case with Conroe, and only now are we finally finding a true center core digital readout of the actual thermals. No algorithm is necessary. No analogue thermistors are necessary. This digital readout will be installed in all future processors from Intel and normally AMD follows such developments so we will very likely see them enact the same thermal readout method.

Archived