Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200 w/ A8N-SLI, help O/C'ing!

Hey, I'm currently trying to OC my new system (first-timer over here...)

Asus A8N-SLI (bios 1014)

AMD Opteron165 @ 1.45v

Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2

Antec TPII 550w Power

So far, I've reached limits on my CPU at HTT 285mhz with x9 multiplier @ 1.45v, and I'm lastly trying to set my ram to atleast hit DDR400 speeds with good timings to get the system passing memtest. I had to adjust my timings from 2-3-2-6-1T up to 2.5-3-3-6-1T just to get it to memtest to find the max speed, and the voltage to 2.85v.

I found the speed limit of my RAM to be 215mhz with no divider...any higher would not pass memtest #5 while testing it. This board only allows .5, .67, and .83 dividers to work with. I also had to lower my CPU HTT to 280 when setting the multiplier back to x9 to make final speed adjustments to my ram at this point. So my choices were to try and run the RAM at 232mhz (too high?) or 188mhz (too low, but atleast it will work) with corresponding dividers to get them there (.83 and .67)

It seems too low to have to stop at 188mhz (memtest is actually reporting 180mhz, DDR266) while everyone else out there seems to be able to hit much higher on these same timings, atleast 200mhz if anything. Are my timings too tight? Voltage too high? Any insight would help... here's where I left off today with memtest running, no errors yet:

CPU HTT 280mhz, x9 @ 1.45v

RAM: 2.5-3-3-6-1T @ 2.85v

.67 divider used for RAM speed: 188mhz (180 according to memtest), DDR266

Trying to achieve atleast 200mhz/DDR400 speeds with similar timings.

I wasn't exactly sure if there were other timing parameters in my BIOS that I could adjust to play with the divider any, or if any other programs will allow you to adjust it outside of the BIOS. Thanks for the help!!!

How many successful 0 error passes of test #5 in Memtest should go by before I can consider my configuration good to go?

Right now, I'm trying to overclock my TWINX2048-3200 to 267mhz 1:1 @ 2.85v, 2.5-3-3-6-1T, and I can get about 10 passes of #5, occasionally having 0-2 errors at the very end of the test. Is this something I can let slide?

thanks!

Im not so sure memtest86 should have last word in testing memory stability. Try Prime95 blend test. If you have errors in memtest you will definitely also have them in P95. Can still get them with no memtest errors. May be consider it a basic quick-test which should be flawless no matter what. If the more picky P95 matters depends on how close to limit you are.

With so few errors may be you should play with finetuning, trc, trfc etc. Use max. values and see what happens. trtw at 3 or 4 might help too. Try increase chipset voltage 0.05 or 0.1. Same with ram, too little or too much can give errors.

Archived