Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 does not work together with CMX512-3200C2 - why?

straylight

Hi Folks,

i bought the vs1gbkit about a year ago, had to send it back due to one defective module.

i got myself a new board (Gigabyte K8NE) and a replacement CMX512-C3200C2 while waiting for the repaired ram.

today it arrived and while either cmx512 or the 1gb-kit works absolutely fine - they wont work together on my board.

any suggestions why that might be?

Unfortunately, today's memory controllers and chipsets will hiccup or hang if you attempt operation with mixed modules and/or mixed memory ICs. You see, the CMX512-3200C2 and the VS512MB400 modules both need different minimum voltages, and their SPD-programmed timings are also different from each other.

To be specific, the SPD-programmed timings for the CMX512-3200C2 module are actually CAS 3-3-3-8, while the SPD-programmed timings for the VS512MB400 are CAS 2.5-3-3-8. The different SPD-programmed timings fooled the systems' BIOS, and thus will either run at fail-safe timings or simply refuse to POST.

A workaround is to increase the DDR Voltage (~2.8 is usually sufficient) and manually set your latencies to relaxed values (I.E. 3-3-3-8).

This would be the 'greatest common denominator' for the modules and would give you the best chance of them working.

Barring a bit of luck, RJL is correct.

PLUR

CK

Archived