Corsair Community

Updated Radiator on Cool

PeteB

Ive just updated my radiator on the COOL kit.

Ive installed a blackice extreme 2 (dual rad).

Looking forward to hopefully a 5 degrees temp drop, but unfortunateley

the temps have gone up a few (about 3 degrees c).

Ive gone from 35c to about 37/38c. Not to much of a problem, but after all my efforts and modds required to get this to fit, maybe i shouldnt of bothered.

It does now take longer to reach max temps, but when it does its slightly hotter.

Ive 2 fans running on the rad now, the rad stays really cool but the cpu temps are slightly higher.

I think maybe the second fan is pulling hot air from the power supply, which is a hot one as it is a fanless type, but as i said the rad seems really cool.??

Maybe the pump is having trouble with running a dual radiator????.

Some good news though is i can run the fans at 5V (very slow) very low noise, and the temps stay at 37/38c

So i can run very quiet at 37/38c the only detremental effect is that whilst on load then back to idle it takes longer for the temps to come back down.

Please can anyone give me some feed back on this and there experiences on this. Im hoping to add a northbridge block.(hope this doesent increase temps again)?????

Is there any way of adding a chiller to cool the liquid down before it goes to the cpu?????????? (would be pretty cool)??????

PS. new modded pump STILL works fine.(problem with the pumps is definately solved (watch out for old stock though) now the pump works ok, it will be a shame if i need a more powerfull one..

anyway ive learnt to "chill" out a little and try not to get stressed at small problems.

Cheers

PeteB

The reason your temps went up is because the BIX II is much thicker(double row) and requires a stronger(also louder) fan to cool it off compaired to the original thinner BI Pro radiator that shipped with the kit. The BI Pro II would have been a better choice if you wanted to use low speed/silent fans.

Putting double fans on in a push/pull setup will help you with your problem. That of installing some higher speed single fans, your choice.................... :bigeyes:

The reason your temps went up is because the BIX II is much thicker(double row) and requires a stronger(also louder) fan to cool it off compaired to the original thinner BI Pro radiator that shipped with the kit. The BI Pro II would have been a better choice if you wanted to use low speed/silent fans.

Putting double fans on in a push/pull setup will help you with your problem. That of installing some higher speed single fans, your choice.................... :bigeyes:

Thanks Bio-Hazard

Im glad there is a reason for the increased temps, was a bit confused at first.

I should have done more research first or asked someone like yourself, anyway its too late now its bought and fitted.

I guess that using one hallf height fan and the original panaflow fan is not suitable then). OH well.

It will now have to be louder more powerfull fans, i guess or be happy with what i have.???

I have now reversed my fans so they pull air in (like a car rad) from the outside and pull this way through the rad.

This way helps a little and the temps are now similar to using the thinner single radiator.

Its a bit of a learning curve, and a bit of experimenting i suppose. hopefully when i add a northbridge block i`l still be ok with temps??????

I use an asus a8n-sli deluxe and the northbridge is a bit of a hot one.

I would like to extend to the northbridge to remove the noisy fan, but if i need noisier fans for the rad, im going 1 step forward and 2 back.

I will have to decide on performance or noise i guess.

Any sugesstions on what fan i could try for the BIX2 rad, if i dont like the noise i can allways not use the fan (fans are cheap and ive no problem buying one just to see if the temps will come down a little???)

Many thanks

PeteB

If you put 4 low speed fans on the rad in a push pull setup, it will help your performance alot and only slightly raise the sound level if you pivk your fans carefully. Adding a NB block will raise your overall tempssome, but not by a great amount, maybe a degree or 2. I'm running a DFI NF4 Ultra system with the stock air cooler with a adjustable fan set to mid speed and my temps stay under 40c for the NB for the most part. Water cooling isn't really needed if you have good case air flow and case temps. In my system I have 3 low speed 120mm fans blowing across the motherboard at all times.

DSC02005.JPG.64b5027c732686ae25205b74f26b54e4.JPG

If you put 4 low speed fans on the rad in a push pull setup, it will help your performance alot and only slightly raise the sound level if you pivk your fans carefully. Adding a NB block will raise your overall tempssome, but not by a great amount, maybe a degree or 2. I'm running a DFI NF4 Ultra system with the stock air cooler with a adjustable fan set to mid speed and my temps stay under 40c for the NB for the most part. Water cooling isn't really needed if you have good case air flow and case temps. In my system I have 3 low speed 120mm fans blowing across the motherboard at all times.

I would like a push/pull config, unfortunateley as i have designed and built my own watercooling top box that extends my case height a little, there is no room for this config.

The top box is made to a professional standard(£100 worth of labour) and is sprayed with harlequin(£750 a litre) paint, and £300 worth of artwork so thats it now it stays as it is for a while.

I should recieve my maze4 gpu block(hope it fits my radeon x850xt pe??) and new clear dangerden rez and a8nsli northbridge cooler on tuesday.

Yet again i will have to strip the system down to take the M/B out, as the northbridge fan/heatsink uses push pull type pins and i need to get to the back of the m/b to remove it.

OH well thats how it goes i suppose. when fitted i will mill out a square hole in the motherboard backplate so in future i can remove the block without taking out the motherboard.

Not sure of the temp on the northbridge, would have to add a thermometer/sensor to find out.(its got noisy and intermittent so this is why im adding it to my watercooling loop).

I can live with a few more degrees to the temps i suppose.(as im adding a gpu block as well i guess that will increase it a little more(again a very hot graphics card).?????

I have a side 120mm fan blowing across m/b and my temps are now as below

athlon64 3500+ newcastle core 35c idle at 22c ambient temp.

asus a8n-sli deluxe 36c approx.

I think our spell of hot weather in the uk is almost over, so my temps MAY? come down a bit.. Now looking forward to the cold weather..(strange but i know the temps in hot and standard weather but not cold yet).

the northbridge block will be my next job anyway, dont really like putting my main machine out of action for too long, so hopefully all goes well.

Thanks for your help and suggesstions, im beginning to understand the advantages and limitations of watercooling a little better now.

If my temps get too high, i was thinking of adding a water chiller to the setup (not sure yet they are quite big and noisy). I use fluidxp which is non conductive and has a frezzing point of -12.5c, so could be quite interesting.

I may have to take out the uv dye though as i dont know if this can be chilled to below 0 temps?????.

PeteB

Archived