Corsair Community

Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Elite AIO pump humming loudly

Hello.

I've had an issue for a while now where the pump of my AIO a Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Elite has been making a very loud humming noise, much louder than my fans. It is not the fans that are causing the issue as even with all of my fans at 0 RPM the humming persists. Lowering the preset of my pump from Standard to Quiet changes the pitch of the humming but it is still very loud.

I recently switched out the front fans of my PC case and had to remove my radiator which is mounted at the top of my case to give myself some room. I originally went with Corsair AF120 fans to match those on my radiator and also included a Commander Core XT. I unplugged the USB connection of my cooler from the mobo and into the passthrough on the Core, though I ended up switching my fans again to another brand and plugged the USB of my cooler back into the mobo.

I noticed that the USB was slightly loose when I reconnected it to the mobo, I don't remember if it was loose beforehand, but the RGB turns on fine. I saw a post online saying that a lack of proper voltage could cause humming so I'm not too sure if this is the issue and somehow by plugging the USB of my cooler into the passthrough has stretched the connectors. I've also considered that it could be either coil whine or a trapped air bubble.

I've tried tilting my machine back and forth gently to encourage the bubble to come out but to no success unfortunately. I also tried running my CPU fans at high speed for a while but this also did not work. I've opened my machine several times and made sure that everything was tight and that there is nothing touching the pump but everything looks fine. The tubing of my cooler also looks okay and is positioned upwards towards the radiator mounted on top, though there is a very slight dip due to its length but comparing it to others’ it looks fine. I've also tried uninstalling iCUE as in some threads people suggested that the humming could be the result of background processes but this also did not help.

I'm a little stumped as to what to do now other than replace the cable or buy a new cooler altogether. I noticed that there are some complaints that the Capellix model has some coil whine issues but it can't be coincidence that the issue began shortly after doing some work on my PC, so it's probably more likely that I've got a trapped air bubble or somehow it's the fact that the USB connection from the pump to the mobo is loose that's the issue.

Looking for advice on next steps, if not replacing the cable first. I want to try a few more things first before I buy a new cable or cooler.

Thanks.

Specs:

• Case: Cooler Master Masterbox TD500 Mesh
  • Front case fans: Cooler Master Mobius 120P x3
  • Rear case fan: Corsair AF120 Elite x1
  • Motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • CPU cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Elite
  • Radiator fans: Corsair AF120 Elite x3 (mounted on top)
  • GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 3080
  • RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 x 16GB)
  • SSDs: 1x 500GB Samsung 980 Pro, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro
  • PSU: Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold
  • Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7
Edited by johnnyadams

6 hours ago, johnnyadams said:

I noticed that the USB was slightly loose when I reconnected it to the mobo, I don't remember if it was loose beforehand, but the RGB turns on fine.

Not related.  That pathway is for communication between device and software.  All the pump's power comes from the PSU SATA cable to the Commander Core and then along that extra wide connector to the pump block.  Anything talking about voltage control and fan headers are for the old motherboard powered units that don't really exist anymore.  

I've tried tilting my machine back and forth gently to encourage the bubble to come out but to no success unfortunately.

but it can't be coincidence that the issue began shortly after doing some work on my PC, so it's probably more likely that I've got a trapped air bubble

Possible.  Bubble induced hums tend to be slightly erratic or may include soft popping like sounds.  If the pump is is loud with a consistent tone, it is more likely to be electro-mechanical.  As for tilting, lift up the end of the case that will elevate the tubes into the CPU block.  For most users that is the front.  Do this while the PC is running with pump set to Extreme in CUE controls.  Try lifting up to 45 deg if you can and hold for 30 seconds.  If you hear the pump changing tone, you may be onto the solution.  If it is still steady and droning on, then I don't think it's bubbles.  

Regardless, if you are unable to find a solution, contact Corsair Support with the aim of getting a replacement unit.  Don't sit on it and hope it suddenly gets better one day.  Most of the time it does not.  On a side note, keep the fans running and some nominal or slightly faster speed.  The more diffuse tone from them may help cover up some of the pump noise.  Going dead silent with SSDs, Zero speed fans, PSU, etc. is always going to leave something as the loudest thing in the box.  Often it is the AIO pump.  

23 hours ago, c-attack said:

Not related.  That pathway is for communication between device and software.  All the pump's power comes from the PSU SATA cable to the Commander Core and then along that extra wide connector to the pump block.  Anything talking about voltage control and fan headers are for the old motherboard powered units that don't really exist anymore.  

Possible.  Bubble induced hums tend to be slightly erratic or may include soft popping like sounds.  If the pump is is loud with a consistent tone, it is more likely to be electro-mechanical.  As for tilting, lift up the end of the case that will elevate the tubes into the CPU block.  For most users that is the front.  Do this while the PC is running with pump set to Extreme in CUE controls.  Try lifting up to 45 deg if you can and hold for 30 seconds.  If you hear the pump changing tone, you may be onto the solution.  If it is still steady and droning on, then I don't think it's bubbles.  

Regardless, if you are unable to find a solution, contact Corsair Support with the aim of getting a replacement unit.  Don't sit on it and hope it suddenly gets better one day.  Most of the time it does not.  On a side note, keep the fans running and some nominal or slightly faster speed.  The more diffuse tone from them may help cover up some of the pump noise.  Going dead silent with SSDs, Zero speed fans, PSU, etc. is always going to leave something as the loudest thing in the box.  Often it is the AIO pump.  

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I tried running my pump at the Extreme setting and my radiator fans at full speed for about an hour with my PC on its side. Unfortunately though the humming is still there. It's a consistent tone so unfortunately it may be mechanical.

And that's true, my PC is fine otherwise and every other component gives me little to no bother due to how quiet they are, it's unfortunately just the pump that's suddenly giving me hassle.

I may use the opportunity to upgrade to a new cooler before deciding if I want to ask Corsair for a replacement of the same model.

• 6 months later...

I had two of these units fail in under a year after buying them new. Both had the exact same issue showing signs of clogging at the pump head in the microfins, which leads to pump failure.

There had to have been a bad batch of these manufactured as you can see in the images noted below the amount of flaking and sludge in the coolant I drained from both. This is not good.

I've worked for two major review sites in my time and never seen an AIO fail like this in such a short period of time, and multiple ones purchased at the same time as well.

I couldn't be bothered to RMA because I just don't care to spend the time farting around with that, hence why just cracked'em open looked for myself.

There was considerable sludge clogging the fins preventing coolant flow resulting in the typical one hot hose and one cold hose scenario even though the pump rpm was good and stable. As a result, one pump motor has basically failed. It spins but it doesn't sound good at all. The other one is still fine.

I have refilled both units with XL8 and they are working again after really good flushing and fin cleaning. Probably just toss them out though, can't trust them at this point.

20240730_154237.jpg

20240730_154120.jpg