Corsair Community

Problems with fans

Jyri
Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hi. My problem is this. If I set my all 3 fans to Balance mode, they go right up to 1400 - 1500 rpm and the noise/uproar is unbearable 😰.

So what`s wrong? My aio is, Corsair icue h170i elite capellix xt. 

My old Corsair was Corsair h115i pro, and in balance mode 2 fans were quiet. About 600 - 800rpm. So very quiet cooler.

Ihave the latest Icue software. It`s the only software which recognises all  icue h170i elite capellix xt devices. tried old corsair softwares and they did not find coolant devices.

I think there is solution to my problem. I just do not find it. Could someone help me with this, please?

Now my 3 fans are set to Custom 3, meaning 970rpm and pump to extreme. Now it`s quiet cooler but balanced mode should also be quiet!

So help needed soon 😶

Corsair.png

The three presets (Quiet-Balanced-Extreme) are not low-med-high settings or noise sensing. It’s just a fixed set of fan speed vs coolant temp data points, but unfortunately Corsair chooses not to show them in the preset mode. 

If you create a custom curve, there are several shape tools in the lower right corner of the graph. On the Commander Core there may be both air and water (drop) shape tools. Those match the 3 presets. Make sure the sensor choice is set to H170i XT Temp (coolant temperature).  Most users should create a custom copy of the preset so they can see what the fans should be doing. In this case it may let you see if the fan is following directions or there is some type of control problem. 

That said, no one has to use the presets. There are no magic curved or universal settings. Each environment is different along with radiator location and use patterns. What most users want/need is a quiet fan speed at their normal coolant temp and a moderate speed at their normal load temp. If 33C is your baseline desktop temp, set the fans to 600 or something quiet. You won’t go much lower than that and 1000 rpm to be 1C lower in cpu temp is a bad trade. Most users will see the highest coolant temp when gaming rather than a straight gpu load. This is the result of increased case temp rather than directly transmitted cpu heat. +10C coolant is common and if you normally get up to 41-43C, set an acceptable fan speed you can tolerate to that level. For a 140mm fan that might be in the 1200 range. Since the origin of the temp increase is the local case temperature, you won’t cool down any further by blasting the fans and pulling more 40C air through the radiator. Coolant has a +1C=+1C step pattern with cpu temp, so 40C only makes your cpu temp 1C warmer than 39C liquid temp. You don’t need to chase those degrees and can let the fans run in a smooth and controlled manner. 

I am using Icue software first time now. Before used Coirsair link with H115i pro and newer proplems with that. Beginner user in Icue software. Thats why some of your instructions are confusing. Specially this: " If you create a custom curve, there are several shape tools in the lower right corner of the graph. On the Commander Core there may be both air and water (drop) shape tools. Those match the 3 presets. Make sure the sensor choice is set to H170i XT Temp (coolant temperature) ". Any instructions how to get to the several shape tools in the lower right corner of the graph to do some changes?. I will try now by mu self but Icue is much much larger software than Corsair link which was very simple to use.

Can you post a picture of your custom curve?  There should be several shape tools in the lower right corner.  You need to click on the "Custom 1" or Custom 2 names in the lower left corner.  The graph in your screenshot is the speed history for that specific fan.  

It appears to be following the curve in all three screen shots. Your shape tools are the 4 boxes below the graph.  The first is "custom".  The next three are the Quiet, Balanced, and Extreme and should say that when you hover over them.  

That middle curve is likely a little steep in slope.  There is no reason to be running 140mm fans at 2000 rpm.  If 32C is your normal idle temp, set that to something reasonable like 600 rpm.  If your typical max water temp is 40C, then set a tolerable fan speed limit for that.  You can set the last point to something like 55C=100%.  That will be give you an audible warning if something is wrong.  

5 minutes ago, Jyri said:

I tried that last custom 7 mode and Cinebenc R23 heat increased 4c.

+4C coolant temp running R23 for 10 minutes is normal, if not a very good result for a single radiator cooling system.  Hopefully you mean the CPU was 79C prior -- not the coolant temp.  Regardless, if you are going to run heavy CPU benchmarks like R23, Prime95, etc, drop the fans into fixed RPM mode before the test.  It's better for maintaining consistency between test results and you don't need to program an adjustable fan curve for known event.  You want the fan curve to handle the daily use scenarios so you don't have to constantly tweak this or that to keep sound and temps in check.  975 rpm is a decent speed for gaming, but if I were running a max CPU stress test, I would use something more like 1200-1300 for a 140mm fan.  

Where this conversation changes a bit is if you run CPU encoding, CPU renders, or some other long duration professional task all day long.  Then you do need to balance the noise any may want a specific aggressive fan curve for that.  

Thank for advice.

Now after several tests I ended up to these values (can be seen in these pictures I hope).

Now the Cooler is more quiet as was before when Corsair H115i Pro (2 fans) was in use. In that cooler balanced mode was quiet.

If still some more ideas let me know. I can see you know much more than I about coolers and temperatures. And yes, the temperature in Cinebench R23 pictures is specifically CPU temp, not the cooler temp fortunately!

Corsair7.png

Corsair8.png

Icue has plugin to Nvidia but I did not install it because I control my MSI RTX 4070 TI Gaming Trio with Gpu Tweak 3 and it works just fine and surely not affect to cooler problems.

I think too much plugins causes problems. 

Just keep in mind that +-1C to coolant temp is only +-1 to CPU temp.  When managing fan speed, you are managing coolant temp.  If you run R23 5 times, you may get different peak values on the CPU, especially specific cores, but that is not usually the result of the fan speeds.  That is the first level of cooling - conducted heat from CPU to cold plate.  That's not something you can manage.  When it comes to daily use, +200 rpm to lower the coolant temp -1C is likely a bad trade.  

Words of wisdom. Now fans about 840rpm (varies a little) and custom  mode 8, this cooler is quiet enough.

I just wonder why balanced mode is useless (terrible uproar)  in this cooler then did whatever. It may never be resolved🤔.

Corsair H115i Pro balanced mode was very quiet.

The same manufacturer product  both coolers and they  use the same Icue software.

• Solution

There have been some weird control issues going on the last few CUE releases.  It seems to strike a different mechanism each time, so perhaps the failure to follow the preset is yet another.  A now see a second post complaining of a similar issue.  However, even if it was working as expected, I still suggest everyone make the copy of the balanced curve so they can see the points.  I don't know why they want it to be mysterious.  Nobody learns anything from that.

The other somewhat common issue with control is when you run another full spectrum monitoring program and it gets locked up with CUE trying to access hardware.  Common programs are AIDA and HWinfo, but when this happens you typically have other signs as well like missing UI elements, crazy voltage values (12v=3.30v), or impossible fan speeds like 66,000 rpm.  AIOs and fan controllers seem to be the most vulnerable while it's a non-issue for peripherals and usually RAM.  I thought you were using HWMonitor at first, which uses the same CPUID program as CUE and typically does not cause problems.  However, it looks like it is something else.  You might trying running without it, restart the PC, and see if the preset works.  

Edited by c-attack

Hw monitor stopped working after I installed Icue software. I have to use another temp program.

I found out that many other users of the Icue program have similar problems. They also have the same cooler as mine, icue h170i elite capellix xt or Corsair iCUE H150i 360mm Elite Capellix XT. They also use the Icue program. One said that an application called fan control solves your problem, it can adjust both the speed of the pump and the fans according to the parameters you give. One option I heard is that I make a gentle fan curve myself and adjust the ramp up time of the fans to be bigger, so that they don't constantly saw up/down. Can you make an example of this fan curve that I could try?
With Corsair h115i pro cooler I used Corsair link software. It was very good! Corsair Link software did not work with this new Icue h170i Elite Capellix xt.
It didn`t find devices at all, it found nothing.

I was wondering if there was a way to make this new H170i work with the Corsair Link application by adjusting the motherboard bios or some other way? The latest Corsair Link is v4.9.9.3 if I understood correctly.

Some other program must be incompatible with Icue, but I don't know what? In any case, the rtx 4070 ti fans also started spinning all the time after I installed the Icue program on my computer. Coincidence, I don't really think so 🤔.

There were NEVER any problems with the Corsair Link program. It's a shame that apparently no new updates have been made to that program.

Such that it would work with these new liquid coolers. I wonder if this software will ever be made again? It was the best!!

I complained about this liquid cooler problem directly to the Corsair company in the United States and it paid off! They will send me a new Commander Core from there, which I will install in place of the old one and I hope that will solve the problem.

I got a new Commander core from Corsair today and installed it. The machine was noticeably quieter than before When Balanced mode is in use. But not enough, so I continue to use custom mode. Can't do better than this, but it's enough! Merry Christmas somewhere there🧑‍🎄