Corsair Community

iQue fans & Controller compatibility

HammerJack

Greetings and glad I found the forum,

Looking for help in figuring out which hubs/controllers I need to start a new build. The new case selected is the iCUE 5000D RGB AIRFLOW Mid-Tower Case, Black - 3x AF120 RGB ELITE Fans - iCUE Lighting Node PRO Controller - High-airflow Design. I have no cooler planned with this setup, so I am just adding more fans at this time. The new motherboard should have ample power supply/headers, and there is one internal RGB LED connector (JRGB) included.

I like the idea of the 3-included 'AF120 RGB ELITE fans', and with that I have space/openings to add seven more 120mm fans to the case. But I still wish to have as minimal cable and controllers as possible.

If I understand correctly, the included fans with the new case are a 3-pin (dc) connector. If so, then these three fans will need an extra hub to connect to the iCue software to control the RGB lighting only, with no speed (PWM) control at the iCue software. And I believe each one might have to occupy a board header for it's power source, unless these can be daisy chained.

1) How to control the included AF series fans (speed & RGB) through iQue software?

2) For the other 7 fans I need, do I have to stay with the AF series?

3) The iCue Link QX RGB series I like. Different cable interface and I can live with the RGB lighting although the lighting makes no sense for the single rear fan. I am seeing these are easy to interface with the commander core xt controller which allows for both speed and lighting adjustments all in one device.

4) I am currently thinking that I will buy 2 of the Commander Core XT's, two 3-packs of the iCue QX120 RGB Elite series expansion packs (No iCUE LINK System Hub and cables included). These connect tight and would work on the right side, and the top openings.  One single that may or may not be RGB, used in the rear location. The front can locate these 3-included fans with the new case. Also included with the case is the iCue Lighting Node Pro but I have no idea where this 'Node Pro' fits in (no info in the descriptions).

Am I missing anything? Any help of comments are greatly appreciated.

Jack

51 minutes ago, HammerJack said:

the included fans with the new case are a 3-pin (dc) connector

No, they will be 4 pin PWM for the motor.  The RGB cable is Corsair proprietary and will not connect directly to your motherboard RGB headers.  

Options:

1) Minimal -> You have one Lighting Node Core RGB controller in the case.  When you buy more fans, make sure to get one triple pack of 120s.  That will be controller #2.  That will accommodate up to 12 fans for lighting (2x6).  For speed control, connect the PWM header to your motherboard.  At 10 fans you likely will need some type of powered PWM hub or controller.  There should be a 6 fan PWM hub in the case.

2) Commander XT -> RGB  and PWM for 6 fans, but with the PWM hub and LNCore already in the case, this covers 12 fans for RGB and speed.  Technically only 11 for speed as one port on the Commander XT will be the control for the 6 fan PWM hub.  It's not overly expensive and will offer you better control of the gear from the desktop.

3) QX Fans and CUE Link Hub -> Beware... this is a generational change in controllers.  Nothing in the CUE Link system will work on the older controllers and vice versa, so you would need one controller (as above) for the AF fans and then a CUE Link hub for any QX you add.  That hub is PCI-e powered and the one cable carries RGB and fan motor power.  QX fans only work on a CUE Link Hub.  All other Corsair RGB fans DO NOT work on the CUE Link hub.

Fan choices:  If you stick with option 1 or 2, any of the "8 series RGB fans" are direct matches for the AF.  That includes the ML-Elite and SP-Elite.  I don't think I would choose either of those over the AF for case fan duty, but some might prefer the ML-Elite on a radiator.  Where it gets trickier is if you add QL or LL fans.  These are the ring fan with 16 and 34 LEDs.  The differing LED counts makes them tricky to match with other fans and you likely would do AF on one RGB controller and QL/LL on the other.  The Commander XT can handle mixed sets of fans, but it will automatically sub-divide them in the CUE interface so they act like two sets.  Relevance here is if you have dreams of making a single effect pulse through 10 fans of different types on different controllers, you won't be able to do that.  The CUE Link system can chain up to 14 fans, but does represent a notable increase in cost.  

Thanks for the quick reply today c-attack.

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

No, they will be 4 pin PWM for the motor.  The RGB cable is Corsair proprietary and will not connect directly to your motherboard RGB headers.  

That's good to know. Sounds like these 3 included fans will connect to either the Node Core, or the Commander XT?

You have one Lighting Node Core RGB controller in the case.  When you buy more fans, make sure to get one triple pack of 120s.  That will be controller #2.  That will accommodate up to 12 fans for lighting (2x6). 

Might be a misunderstanding. The iCue Link QX RGB series that I mentioned above, does not show anything extra with the package. Just fans and nothing mentioned in the descriptions. It does say 'No iCUE LINK System Hub and cables included'. If there is not a LNCore included with these fans, I am not opposed to just buying one more from Corsair, if available.

I was thinking of buying two of these triple packs and that puts me at 9 fans total with one single fan to choose for the rear. But might have to shift gears. I don't see the QX fans in singles and the only reason I started with them is because they were the first expansion (triple) pack I saw. So if you would like to suggest something else that would be simpler to group together, go right ahead. Even if they are a little different that the triple pack included I can keep the included group of three together.

There should be a 6 fan PWM hub in the case.

This is another mystery. The description only says it includes the '3x AF120 RGB ELITE Fans - iCUE Lighting Node PRO Controller'. Now I did scroll down towards the bottom of the overview tab, and I find this 'A PWM fan repeater controls the included fans, with connections for up to six in total.'. This must be the PWM hub you mention because it is talking about controlling the speed, duh...

Can I not just buy another one of these 6 fan PWM hubs like the one included in the case, and one more Lighting Node Core RGB controller like the one included in the case? OR, two of the Commander Core XT? With two Commander core, I would sit on the extras that were with the case. It sounds like that Commander Core XT is the newer product so if it connects more and is simpler, show me the fans you would choose. Regardless of cost. If I have to sit on the included LNCore, I will save it for another build coming up.

Please advise. Jack

That $50 “expansion kit” is the single QX fan. You must buy a “starter kit” (3x120) to get the hub. The Hub is that small square box in the pictures. The adjacent fans physically inter-lock to each other to pass signal, but you need a bridge cable to jump between different groups of QX fans. The starter kit comes with one 600mm cable to go from Hub to three inter-locked fans. 

The QX are nice and an improvement in capability from prior fans, but that’s likely only noticeable if you were using QL or LL fans before. They are new and no deals to be had. You can mix them in with the 3 AF fans. The QX will go on the hub. The AF-Elite will connect to the Lighting Node Core for rgb and then the motherboard for speed control. It would cost another $50 to make them CUE controllable through a Commander XT. 

QX fans cannot be used with motherboard fan headers, rgb connectors, or any prior Corsair tech. It’s a unique connection system for the CUE Link Hub only. 

Thanks again c-attack.

You have been very helpful and I appreciate that. I still have some gray areas in my mind due to not being familiar with the product line and how everything integrates with the motherboard and software. I have an order now for the new products and once I have hands-on I am sure more of this will make sense. Very pleased with Corsair on this forum. Thanks.