Corsair Community

Twin2x1024a-6400 - showing up as DDR2-533

marxsmann1979

Im sorry if i've made a mistake here but I have an Asus P5WD2 Premium Motheboard and Corsair TWIN2X1024A-6400 Memory (2 GB Worth).

During POST the memory shows up as DDR2-533. I interpret this that the RAM is running under the speed it should be running? Can anyone confirm this or tell me that I'm being a n00b?

I have built 4 of these MOBO / RAM combinations and they're all the same

Thanks

Marc

Welcome to the forums, marxsmann1979!

You're being a n00b. *cough* :D:

Actually, looks like the mainboard just defaulted to DDR-II 533 and you would need to go into the BIOS and manually set the divider / frequency along with increasing the VDimm to ~1.9 volts (READ: Under the 'Advanced Chipset Options' or uGuru Heading in BIOS).

The modules are not garaunteed to run in sets of four, but if they're the same revision number, you should have pretty good luck. Don't exceed 2.0 volts on the VDimm.

Using these modules at DDR-II 800 / PC6400 is a big overclock for any system, FYI, and will not automatically come up because of it. It's like putting a 1066 FSB CPU into a board that only supports an 800 FSB. When it first boots, it'll default to 800, then you have to manually speed it up, but know that it's not officially supported.

PLUR

CK

Thanks for the reply :)

In the Bios rather than play around with manual settings I also have Preset Overclock Options - namely:

Overclock 5% - FSB888/DDR2-667

Overclock 10% - FSB960/DDR2-800

and so on....

If i select one of these will i still need to increase the Vdimm?

Thanks again

Marc

Oh yeah... sorry, forgot that you have the 955 chipset, not the 925.

I think it will tell you how to set the memory / FSB to anything you want in to BIOS section of your mainboard manual, last time I looked, there was even a nice table of 'auto' settings.

However, I still suggest you increase the VDimm to ~1.9 because of the four modules.

PLUR

CK

Oops - looks like i made a mistake. When the system is POSTING it shows:

PC2-5300 Dual Channel Interleaved

NOT

PC2-533

I'm still concerned as on the Corsair box that the memory came in it says 6400 and during POST it says 5300. So something isn't right. Also why is it running INTERLEAVED and not LINEAR? What's the difference?

Thanks

Marc

Interleaved should be better as it's another method for speeding up memory accesses.

As for why it's running 333MHz/DDR-II 667 instead, that's because most board BIOS's don't have the capability of correctly reading a DDR-II 800 SPD chip, thus it isn't programmed for DDR-II 800.

FYI, whatever is listed on POST is not how fast your memory is rated, but how fast it is currently running. If you changed the memory speed in your BIOS to 266MHz, the POST screen would display it as PC4300, etc, etc, etc...

PLUR

CK

Archived