Corsair Community

LL120 Fan Flickering Random Colors

For some reason this one fan in my build keeps flickering random colors that is seen in the gif. (Sorry for the low quality I can't change it) I have had these fans for over 2 years and I have had this issue for around 2 months. I countered the flashing by making the color solid which stopped it, and it flashes only when the fans have an effect. I don't know if the problem is with the fan itself or the RGB hub for the fans. Does anyone know what the issue is and how to fix it?

Untitled video - Made with Clipchamp.gif

Typically this is a bad fan -- or a fan on it's way to really being bad.  When the LED is full blown out, then it stops the circuit dead in its tracks and  dark path marks the very obvious trouble point.  However, when the circuit is not severed but the signal is inhibited in another way, you get flickering and that can ripple down the line.

1) If you have an individual RGB port controller like the Commander Core or XT, simply swap the RGB connector with another fan.  If the fan is bad, the issue follows the fan.  

2) All other controllers (Lighting Node Core, LN Pro, Commander Pro) are serial.  In this instance you can try two things.  Move the offending fan RGB to the #1 slot, it likely then causes everything down the line to flicker.  Move the fan to last position in your fan line.  It may still flicker, but won't affect the others.  Still the same in principle and you're checking to make sure the problem follows the fan.  If it does not and the new fan flickers in that port, then it may be the lighting controller or RGB hub that is causing problems.  

At 2 years you may be just out of warranty, but you can contact Corsair Support.  Either way, you likely will need a replacement fan.  

Edited by c-attack

37 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Typically this is a bad fan -- or a fan on it's way to really being bad.  When the LED is full blown out, then it stops the circuit dead in its tracks and  dark path marks the very obvious trouble point.  However, when the circuit is not severed but the signal is inhibited in another way, you get flickering and that can ripple down the line.

1) If you have am individual RGB port controller like the Commander Core or XT, simply swap the RGB connector with another fan.  If the fan is bad, the issue follows the fan.  

2) All other controllers (Lighting Node Core, LN Pro, Commander Pro) are serial.  In this instance you can try two things.  Move the offending fan RGB to the #1 slot, it likely then causes everything down the line to flicker.  Move the fan to last position in your fan line.  It may still flicker, but won't affect the others.  Still the same in principle and you're checking to make sure the problem follows the fan.  If it does not and the new fan flickers in that port, then it may be the lighting controller or RGB hub that is causing problems.  

At 2 years you may be just out of warranty, but you can contact Corsair Support.  Either way, you likely will need a replacement fan.  

You are probably right that the fan is the issue as I have tried before to swap the cables. Thank you for your response.