Corsair Community

New Pre-build - CORSAIR VENGEANCE i7400 - Freeze, Crash, BSOD - w/ Visual Artifacts prior to crashes

PC is a Corsair Prebuild: 

CORSAIR VENGEANCE i7400 (link to product on their store)

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K

Geforce RTX 4090

Symptoms:

1. Rig started off working great.

2. I use it pretty much exclusively for chrome internet and gaming. Exclusively steam for now.

3. I do dial all the games up, expecting the 4090 to be able to handle it with current gen games.

4. Started with occasional game crash or odd visual artifact that was short lived

1.  Green, White, or Black squares that dance around the screen
    2. Lines cutting through menu screens of games

5. Started to occur even without gameplay , shortly after boot-ups, sometimes with almost nothing running

1. Began to include chrome windows turning all black
    2. Screens seeming to all go black, sometimes recover, sometimes not

6. Complete Computer Freezes, with varieties of experiences:

1. Sometimes audio would keep running in the background while everything else breaks down. No use of super F4 or ctrl+alt+delete or alt+tab
    2. Sometimes mouse would still move but no response to clicking on anything
    3. Sometimes monitors would stop recognizing input altogether and lack signal detection while the keyboard and tower lights were still on.

7. BSOD Blue Screen Of Death

1. I started to notice when I was more patient to let it sit for a while frozen.
    2. It takes a minute, two, three to reach that.
    3. I've started to export minidumps and kernel dumps per helpful recommendations from your prior posts.

8. Primary mentions from minidumps:

1. Most common: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
      1. One BSOD had: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
    2. MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm
    3. IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys
    4. FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x133_ISR_nvlddmkm!unknown_function

As I understand it (thanks to you all): it is more helpful to get to the level of kernel dumps with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

Links:

1. (3) Kernel Memory Dump Examples - Zipped - From Google Drive
  2. Windows Event Log CSV Export - Google Sheets View (Online View)
  3. Original Minidump Analysis Results (copy pasted text to google docs for online view)
    1. One
    2. Two
    3. Three

Rig details:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name VENGEANCE

System Manufacturer CORSAIR

System Model CORSAIR VENGEANCE i7400

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU CS-9050047-NA

Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K, 3000 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. A.CB, 10/25/2022

SMBIOS Version 3.5

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

Motherboard:

BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Product PRO Z690-A WIFI (MS-7D25)

BaseBoard Version 2.0

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State On

PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22621.819"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 63.8 GB

Available Physical Memory 59.3 GB

Total Virtual Memory 128 GB

Available Virtual Memory 122 GB

Page File Space 64.0 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection Off

Virtualization-based security Not enabled

Windows Defender Application Control policy Enforced

Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy Off

Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Things I've attempted so far:

1. Ran Windows Update + Installed any optional upgrades from that menu
  2. Ran Malware Bytes - Quarantine of (3) items
  3. Reseat graphics card
  4. Try plugged into 1 of 3 different monitors alone, using 2 different display port cables interchangeably 
    1. On one iteration I was plugged into the DisplayPort option that is not directly on the graphics card slots itself. Same issues.
  5. Used DDU to uninstall graphics driver and reinstall
  6. Uninstalled iCue software, Astro A40 headset software
  7. Updated Network Adapters drivers (2)
    1. Rabbit hole I went into since I saw references to them in error logs.
    2. Someone had that clear up their crashing issues from another forum.
  8. Set CPU Power Options Advanced for Processor power mgmt to 99% for both options. 
    1. If I read correctly this avoids overclock on CPU? They were at 100% before.
  9. Set Power Settings on PC to custom: Maximum Performance. 
  10. I am not aware of any overclocking on the GPU. I did do some of these things:
    1. Nvidia Control Panel 3d settings use advanced settings
      1. Power preference Maximum Performance

Ran Memory Diagnostic Test : no problems detected

Ran sfc /scannow : "no integrity violations"

Driver Roll-back

Downloaded Nvidia 526.98 from https://www.nvidia.com/Download/find.aspx

Used DDU process to uninstall old driver ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6NPVZ7sdZU )

Installed roll-back of 526.98 one manually by double-clicking .exe

Still experienced crashes after this, but left it in place for now

Ran chkdsk /f c and chkdsk 😄 -- found nothing wrong

Uploaded a more recent event log (I just do last 1hr): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PDGlZNUbWuTwPf8E4GgOUTNKKuKwMopyMsltF3QS-j8/edit#gid=1848474730

Looked into updating IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller -- but saw conflicting information

Some suggest updating SATA AHCI Controller to storahci.sys , some suggest iaStorA.sys -- I was at storahci.sys and dont see the other option on my machine yet.

*Anyone have experience with this?

Looked into SSD Firmware Update

Being a prebuild, I believe OEM issues arise for me.

Im installed with SAMSUNG MZVL22T0HBLB-00A00

Samsung Magician does not do firmware updates or recognize it for healthchecks.

I found this reddit post listing firmware downloads for it off google drive. Im a bit sketched out to download from somewhere not samsung official, though a reputable reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/zyix9i/samsung_ssd_pm9a100a0000b0000b07_firmware_update/

All the above were recommendations from pages i found on the WATCHDOG error or other forum recommendations. Still a bit stumped.

Might try system recovery next since I wasnt too far along on stuff.

Hi there alpine i have the Exact same purchase from corsair and i have the exact same problems.

At first i thought it was my drivers, or my firmware for monitor, but after moving everything around and uninstalling, reinstalling, a million times, ive come to the conclusion its the computer not me.

Opted to return it and purchase another since im within the 30 days.

If i have similar results ill look for a new product all together, but i chose corsair specifically for the customer service and parts that i can recognize.

Just letting you know, you arent the only one.

• Like 1

I just ordered this pc... Should I cancel the order? If this is the 4090 GPU they send out that is a garbage card... I did send a support ticket asking them not to put this card in my pc build... I do not think I can wait for them to respond... Why is everything so dam trivial and cryptic... WHAT $4000 not enough for a decent 4090 videocard...

Thank you for sharing your experience Eggchen. 

Im attempting to do similar. I'd like to give Corsair the chance to send me back a working machine, as well as learn how smooth the RMA process is or not during this.

I have a suspicious feeling I may get "stuck" in a non-refundable situation with how timelines might pan out with the RMA -- but thats pure speculation and not fact of the matter yet.

I'll see what I get > and on second round my preference would also be the return for refund to go about building my own.

Unfortunately, if you research: NZXT seems to be doing the same habits with their prebuilds with grabbing the quickest available GPU. This seems to translate to manufacturers that are not as proven and well known as we would probably snag if we work on the hunt ourselves. Likely a symptom of wanting a machine with some of the latest and greatest.

Anyways. Thats all commentary. I want to see how well it goes on RMA and then will keep this and other forum posts updated. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Edited by AlpineBuckeye

One brief note on RMA progress so far, an initial hiccup:

If you are progressing with your support agent and they have offered to send you a box: keep your eye out on if the incoming box is actually on its way within the 48 hours they mention.

I checked UPS, USPS, and FedEx login portals for my address with each of their respective "manage deliveries" and "track all deliveries" functionality and saw nothing inbound.

After reaching out to support they did not see a tracking code and had to trigger another ticket.

That's to say, 3 days lost on progress on that alone. Make sure you get a tracking number.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Similar case for me as well. It was first maybe once a week then got worse then back to once a week but this past two weeks it has been almost daily.

Yesterday it was twice and today another two times.

The dump files always seem to point at something different  as well. I started a ticket and have shared my dump files but haven't heard back.

Here is the post I started for similar issues except I don't see the visual artifacts. For me it just goes straight into blue screen without notice other than there is a brief period where it stops responding and shows the blue screen.