Corsair Community

H115i - fanspeed not increasing when temperature rises

I have an H115i on an Intel i7-8700K - running latest iCue software as of today. I have an issue with a CPU that keeps hitting 100 degrees C and then being throttled down to protect it. 

I've re-seated and re-applied thermal paste, but the problem persists.

Inside iCue, I can see that the Motherboard reports the package and core temperatures ( ie, I can see they are constantly changeing and rising to hit 100).

I have tried to create a custom cooling preset that should speed up the H115i fans to 100% even when temp reaches 35 deg C, but they never go over 1320 rpm - in fact, even while temps are high, the fan speeds will alternate between 1200 and 1320 rpm. I cannot set the pump to the custom profile, only the Extreme profile, but it also never goes above 3200rpm (max is 3300 rpm)

I can't find any "save" or "Apply" buttons on the iCue interface, so I assume that when I change the profiles or presets they are supposed to be implemented in real time - but like I said, it does not seem to be the case.

Please help.

9 hours ago, Piie_AA said:

I have tried to create a custom cooling preset that should speed up the H115i fans to 100% even when temp reaches 35 deg C, but they never go over 1320 rpm

Which "H15i" do you have?  There are around 6 with that as part of the name.  Seems like it might be a H115i Pro, in which case ~1300 rpm is the maximum speed on the 140mm fan based model.  

Regardless of which model you have, fan speed differences between 1000-2000 rpm do not cause you to hit 100C.  The difference between 2000 and 750 rpm might be 5-7C and clearly that is not enough to bring it down to expected levels.  In CUE, take a look at the "H115i Temp".  This is the liquid temp and a useful tool for separating an internal issue from everything else.