Corsair Community

Temperature and noise questions.

Roger Wilco

Now that my Hydrocool has had a few weeks to settle in, I decided I'd check temperatures and check with other users. Keeping in mind that my mobo has a reputation for inaccurate temperatures (MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR), I just want to know if basically, the temp increase on the HC and MBM are normal. Idle: MBM - 38 C HC - 24.5 Load: MBM - 43 C HC - 25.5 One other thing while I'm here; in the last 48 hours, my HydroCool has started making a consistent buzzing noise. It seems to be coming from the pump. I've tried reseating the HC, tilting it, etc, but makes no difference. I'd like to hear any ideas as to what exactly is causing this all of a sudden, and how I might remedy it! Thanks in advance, Roger

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your H200 temps look to be in the neighborhood. But your temps from MBM do look to be high if accurate. For example right now mine is: (light use/ almost idle) H200: 24.5C ASUS Probe: 29C And my system is O/C (see sign. below) Early posts covered this same problem if your temps are close to accurate in MBM. Two causes found were: 1. Excessive thermal paste applied. You should only use just enough to barely cover the cpu to fill in slight voids, and more will react like a insulation barrior and cause the cooling process to be hampered and less efficient. The paste is extremely thick and hard to work with, but taking ones time and using a plastic credit card or such to use as a squeegy works great. 2. CPU bracket locked down uneven. When attaching the cpu, ensure that you apply pressure to both side clamps equally & evenly at the same time to ensure equal pressure on the H200 bracket over the cpu. Also you might want to see the post: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=88174#post88174[/url] In regards to your noise for corrective action. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions Morris; I had seen the suggestions for noise reduction in earlier threads, but it was usually regarding another noise (the "hissing"), so I thought it might be something else. I've tried tilting the unit to remove air as I mentioned before, so I will try removing the resevoir cap - should I do this while the unit is running? I think I'll leave the option of removing the rubber donut as a last resort....not too keen on opening her up and removing bits at this stage (would it void my warranty?). Re: your suggestions on the heat issue; my first thought was to reseat and redo the thermal paste too. I did a very thorough job, cleaned the waterblock and processor with isopropyl, reapplied paste with a bank card as thin as I could get it. I sweated over getting the waterblock locked down perfect, I'm confident that it couldn't be seated any better than it is (AMD bracket). Having done that, I'm looking skeptically at my mobo again. Time to hit the MSI forums again I think, and get some straight answers (they can be incredibly unhelpful at times). Thanks for taking the time to go over all the solutions, much appreciated :D: Regards, Roger

My pleasure, just trying to give a little back to this forum which has given me so much. :winking: [QUOTE]I've tried tilting the unit to remove air as I mentioned before, so I will try removing the resevoir cap - should I do this while the unit is running?[/QUOTE] You can, I have a couple of times on mine. I just wouldn't do it over anything let's say like your computer just in case. But looking in while it's running mearly looks like the coolant is aggitating. It's also a good time to top it off. [QUOTE]I think I'll leave the option of removing the rubber donut as a last resort....not too keen on opening her up and removing bits at this stage (would it void my warranty?).[/QUOTE] No it won't. From another thread I've read that Cool Guy even recommended it ([COLOR=red]CoolGuy validate if you would[/COLOR]) and that later production models come without the rubber donut. I'm not real familliar with your mb as to the temp readings so I will leave that as is. Best of luck at the MSI forums.

• Corsair Employee
Removing the rubber ring will not void your warranty. It does quite the unit by removing some of the vibration the pump transferred to the chassis. If you have any questions regarding the process please let me know. Your temperatures for MBM are a little on the high side. However the HC temps look to be right on for what you are doing. Thanks! Cool Guy

Hi Cool Guy, I got off the fan grill with a little trouble, but think I have the hang of it now. However, I noticed there's something that looks like a plug?, blocking the way (power to the pump I assume), and preventing me from removing the rubber donut. I was afraid of breaking something, so I just had a fiddle with the rubber, and that seems to have just about reduced all the extra noise that popped up recently. Do I just pull the plug straight off the pump? Look forward to your reply, Roger

Take a razor or sharp knife and cut the donut off at it's thinnest area. You don't need it and if you want to put it back on for some unkown reason you could simply slide it back on and use a ziptie around it. Either way, it doesn't void the warranty and if you would have received a later production model it would have been the exact same setup without the rubber donut! Just my 2c worth! Good luck

They should give you a job Morris, you answer more threads than CoolGuy :winking: Maybe it's an insidious plot though; get a small group of end users to answer all the other customer's problems, throw the group the occasional bone (free XMS memory for example:p: ) and save Corsair a bucketload by not actually having to pay anyone official to patrol the forums! It's basically what MSI does.....:laughing: Enough of my crackpot conspiracy theories anyway....hehe:D: Roger

• Corsair Employee
morrisgs is correct that cutting it off is an easy way to get rid of the ring. It is much easier to take the ring off if you actually remove the entire cover. There are four screws holding the cover on and you can pop the top off. With the cover off you can easily get to the connector. It is a clip on design. The clip holding the connector on is the fan side of the connector. If you have any questions pelase let me know. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Another question: I flushed out the HC recently, put in 150ml of automotive coolant and the rest with distilled water. Seemed to be working fine. Last couple of days have been rather warm, and when I'm gaming, the HC display goes up to about 28C (today anyway). At this temp, I've started getting the occasional "ffft" sound (like air coming from the pump). It's not all the time, just seems random, but often enough to be annoying. Would this be a case of lack of coolant? I put in a bit more, should I keep on adding until the sound goes away at higher temps?(it's not making any noise when under 28C) Thanks in advance, Roger

I'd try to ensure that you don't have any air in the lines 'cause if so can get louder with temperature increases. Also, increasing the viscocity of the coolant helps keep the bosch pump quieter in mine and most other posts I've read. Hope this helps:winking:

Thanks for the help yet again, Morris :D: I've added more coolant, filled to the top now. Unfortunately, I'm still getting that noise when I go over 28C on the HC (I've tried tilting to get rid of air, etc, checked for air pockets/bubbles - none that I can see) Edit: Noise is consistent when hitting the 30C mark on the HC display, and bloody annoying too I might add. Any other ideas? CoolGuy? Regards, Roger

I'm also getting the same problem of the "Pfft" sound coming from the pump at 29C+. I noticed there is moister in the big connectors between the resavior and the pump that wont go away. Rocking the unit doesnt help remove the air trapped in those area. If I untighten the resavior cap is reduces the "Pfft" sound a bit. Anyone have a solution?

I see alot of moister at the pump side of the connector hose. I'm thinking the pump is getting air from the outside and is creating the moister betwwen the 2 big connection hoses. I tried tightening the pumps four screws, but it didnt stop the "Pfft" sound. I noticed that if I push the back of pump towards the reservoir, the "Pfft" sound stops. Is my pump defective?

• 2 weeks later...
Another update on the noise issue; had some hot weather in the last couple of weeks here, now the "ffft" sound is only occuring when the HC goes over 35C. I've tried all the suggestions previously mentioned, to no avail. Surely there is some way to make this unit run silently, regardless of temperature? Cheers, Roger

I'm having the same problem with 'fffptt' sound at around 29.5 and up temp on the unit. Have you tryed increasing the coolant ratio that what I was going to try next, just wondering if you had solved the problem before buying a jug of antifreeze( Propylene Glycol based I 'd assume)?

I have tried upping the coolant ratio, and while it has helped a little, at 34C plus, I still get the noise. I'm using automotive antifreeze at the moment, which is ethylene glycol. From what I've been told, it's basically the same thing as propylene glycol, except it's quite toxic. Roger

well this pump should be able to run with just distilled water and not make this noise, my other pumps can, as we add more antifeeze temps also increase we should need just enough to stop corrosion not quiet a pump. Wonder if a STP lubricant would work.:brick:

I'm really getting quite irritated with the problems I've been having with the HydroCool, and I would like some kind of "official" (CoolGuy?) response to them. I have an ongoing noise and temperature problem, I have tried all suggestions on this board that I can find. Is there something wrong with my unit? It is a hot day here, but 49C on idle seems just a little high, especially considering what other people get. I have tried different ratios of water to coolant for the noise problem, I've tried different coolants. Still have a noise problem in warmer weather. I've cleaned, reapplied paste, reseated the heatsink three times now, I've tried different thermal paste. Still abnormal temperatures. Throw me a line here Corsair, I'm drowning. Roger.

Is the Hydrocool 200 compare actually better than air. If so do I need to use cooling fans to cool the rest of the motherboard. I don't overclock, but I am wondering if it is a good time to get the Hydrocool 200 for my P4 3.06 Ghz. I don't like the noise I hear with my fans

Well the corsair takes care of your cpu fan needs although the rest of your components still need some air movement ie: harddrives, motherboard, chipsets, video card, ect.. Your HSF on your cpu is usually the loudest contributer to noise and heat to a system. The external water cooling of the corsair takes the heat from your cpu out of the case, so less case cooling is needed though like I mentioned earlier you still need some air movement in your case albeit less than before.

Archived