Corsair Community

4000X RGB with additional case fans

Lord Polymath

I've got a 4000X RGB White case on the way for my new build. I could use some advice on fans and the lighting node core. I assume the 3 fans that come preinstalled in the front will be connected to the node, and I want to add two QL120 fans to the top (intake) and one to the back (exhaust).

The node core supports 6 fans, but a Corsair install video says not to mix different RGB fan series. Does that mean the QL fans won't work on that Lighting Node Core?

The Corsair 4000x rgb website says it comes with thress (yes there is a typo on the website) 120mm fans, but does not say what model. The fans in the picture show a part number of CO-9050073-ww, which are 140mm fans...

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would hope that I could use the Lighting Node Core as the USB hub like in this diagram. My main concern is that the provided front case fans are not the same model as the QL120 case fans. Question about the diagram - what kind of cable is the blue "LED Control" that goes from the hub to the commander pro?

s6LvseMh.png

Edited by Lord Polymath

Thanks to CorsairJordan from support who replied to my post on Reddit. Here is their reply:

The Lighting Node Core only controls the RGB. If you wanted to contol the RPM through iCUE, you'd need a Commander Core. Otherwise, you'll plug the fans into your motherboard and use the BIOS to control the RPM.

The fans will have arrows on them to indicate airflow, but if you're looking at the logo side, it'd be blowing away from you.

All of our RGB series fans work all of our RGB controllers. You'll have no issues with either LLs or QLs with the Lighting Node Core.

Unfortunately, that’s not entirely correct. Any Corsair RGB fan can run on any of the various controllers (LNP or Commander + RGB hub or either Lighting Node Core or Commander Core). However, the program still works off a base fan LED count. In this instance, those new SP-Elite fans have 8 LEDs and the QL 34. You can’t tell the controller you have 3 of each. You have to select one fan type x number of fans. So you can lie to the program, tell it you have “QL x 4” and it will generate enough LEDs to light them all. However, none of the preset effects will work correctly and it throws off the timing and per fan lighting.

The case will come with one lighting controller. When you order the QL, make sure you get one 2x140 “multipack”. That will have the other lighting controller you need. The 3 QL go on one Lighting Node Core. The SP-Elite from the case on another. In the software they will be two different devices, but also each will follow their programming. Both SP-Elite and QL have more preset effects to choose from than other fans.

For speed control, you can do whatever you want. This is independent from the lighting. You cannot buy a Commander Core that can support fan lighting and speed control internally. The Commander Pro still serves as the retail fan controller. However, be aware that is going to be an additional device in this scenario. It cannot run the lighting for either set of fans without a RGB lighting hub, something you lack at the moment. If you have space, that’s not a concern.

Edited by c-attack

Unfortunately, that’s not entirely correct. Any Corsair RGB fan can run on any of the various controllers (LNP or Commander + RGB hub or either Lighting Node Core or Commander Core). However, the program still works off a base fan LED count. In this instance, those new SP-Elite fans have 8 LEDs and the QL 34. You can’t tell the controller you have 3 of each. You have to select one fan type x number of fans. So you can lie to the program, tell it you have “QL x 4” and it will generate enough LEDs to light them all. However, none of the preset effects will work correctly and it throws off the timing and per fan lighting.

The case will come with one lighting controller. When you order the QL, make sure you get one 2x140 “multipack”. That will have the other lighting controller you need. The 3 QL go on one Lighting Node Core. The SP-Elite from the case on another. In the software they will be two different devices, but also each will follow their programming. Both SP-Elite and QL have more preset effects to choose from than other fans.

For speed control, you can do whatever you want. This is independent from the lighting. You cannot buy a Commander Core that can support fan lighting and speed control internally. The Commander Pro still serves as the retail fan controller. However, be aware that is going to be an additional device in this scenario. It cannot run the lighting for either set of fans without a RGB lighting hub, something you lack at the moment. If you have space, that’s not a concern.

Thanks for the reply. So to get this completely straight, can you verify this is how I should do it?

Commander Pro will go to a USB header on the motherboard, and each Lighting Node Core will plug into the Commander Pro's 2 USB ports. All six fan PWM cables will then connect to the Commander Pro. Or are you saying I need both Lighting Node Cores AND a RGB lighting hub AND a commander pro?

Alternatively I could take the Commander Pro out of the equation and use two lighting node cores (3 SP fans on one and 3 QL fans on the other) then use CHA_FAN headers on my motherboard for the PWM cables and control the fan speed via the BIOS. The Motherboard I have selected right now (ASUS ROG Strix B550-E) has 3 CHA_FAN headers so I'd need some splitters or a hub of some sort...

Thanks again

For your installation, the Commander will not be involved in the RGB part of the set-up at all. It would be strictly a fan controller so you can adjust fans speeds from CUE on the desktop vs the BIOS. You would need more hardware (the Corsair RGB Fan Hub LED from the diagram in post 1) to use it's RGB channels to replace one of the Core devices. Unless you have one of those lying around from a previous set of ML or LL fans, trading a Core device for a RGB hub may not be a worthwhile venture. The decision on whether to use the Commander for fan control is totally up to you and won't impact the stuff below. Fan PWM wires will go to MB headers or the Commander fans ports as you choose.

Your case will come with a Lighting Node Core (below) for the 3 SP-Elite fans on the case. When you buy the QL140s, make sure to get the multipack with another Lighting Node Core. Now you're all set. The Lighting Node Core is that RGB fan hub from above combined with a 1 channel fan RGB controller. It needs a SATA for power and a USB 2 for communication. Other than that, it's just plug and play. SP-Elite go 1-2-3 on one Core. QL go 1-2-3 on the other. Both can plug their USB into the Commander, Motherboard internal USB headers, or a USB Hub (what most people need when they get to 3 or more devices).

http://i.imgur.com/Xx60jRAl.png

Zotty's Diagram Factory

Edited by c-attack

For your installation, the Commander will not be involved in the RGB part of the set-up at all. It would be strictly a fan controller so you can adjust fans speeds from CUE on the desktop vs the BIOS. You would need more hardware (the Corsair RGB Fan Hub LED from the diagram in post 1) to use it's RGB channels to replace one of the Core devices. Unless you have one of those lying around from a previous set of ML or LL fans, trading a Core device for a RGB hub may not be a worthwhile venture. The decision on whether to use the Commander for fan control is totally up to you and won't impact the stuff below. Fan PWM wires will go to MB headers or the Commander fans ports as you choose.

Your case will come with a Lighting Node Core (below) for the 3 SP-Elite fans on the case. When you buy the QL140s, make sure to get the multipack with another Lighting Node Core. Now you're all set. The Lighting Node Core is that RGB fan hub from above combined with a 1 channel fan RGB controller. It needs a SATA for power and a USB 2 for communication. Other than that, it's just plug and play. SP-Elite go 1-2-3 on one Core. QL go 1-2-3 on the other. Both can plug their USB into the Commander, Motherboard internal USB headers, or a USB Hub (what most people need when they get to 3 or more devices).

http://i.imgur.com/Xx60jRAl.png

Zotty's Diagram Factory

Think I've got it figured out now, thanks a bunch for your help. 4000X should be here tomorrow. Now to figure out all of the other components :)