Corsair Community

PCI-E Split Cable for 2-cable RTX 3080 - 24/7 use?

Kallex

good luck supplying 5A from a 7805 powered on 12v. you'll need to watercool the poor fellow dropping 7v at that current.

unless you have a Zotty build running full white on RGB, PSUs are more than adequate ^^

if not, it'll be a lot more efficient to implement a simple buck converter or any other flavour of switch mode DC/DC

i have been having black screen and 100% fan screen random for a while on the ftw2, was ether the paste or hx1000i yet its not old but the 1080ftw2 is connected with a pig tail and supplied but in manual it says the psu is supplied with (4) 8 pin 6x2 and been using the pig tail since day one but there is (3) 8 pin 6x2, was messing today and just touching the plug i replicated the same issue, rattle on pins? so going to change to two dedicated leads soon as , thing is ive done the EVGA ftw2 bios 11gbs update so reviews will not reflect power draw

• 11 months later...

Hi Guys. Sry im late to the party. But I found this thread via google search.

I have a Corsair RM 750x (V2) 2018 and I got a ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti like 1 month now. Today I was playing CP2077 @ 5K with DLSS Performance + RT @ Ultra @ 50 FPS with G-Sync (smooth)  which is then 2560x1440 internal resoultion. Out of a sudden....shutdown complete PC.

I was scared as hell. It was also in the middle of the night. 4' o clock.

I was immedialtey sure it was the power supply. As it turns out. I was only using one PCIe cable with the pigtail to connect both PCIe connectos on the GPU. 

I was always thinkin because its a Single Rail PSU it only needs one connection. But after reading this thread especially that one comment from the corsair staff guy. I shuted down the pc. And connected a second PCIe cable to the PSU and GPU!

Now it looks ugly as hell, especially in a Lian Li o11 Dynamic. But wtf...I will see if it happens again. I hope not.

Before I got the RTX 3080 Ti. I was using a RTX 2080 non Super, which was undervolted via Powerlimit @ 200W. Never had a Problem for over 1 year with one PCIe Cable + Pigtail

Any Ideas how to manage now those lying around cables which are not needed? 

This is my system with one PCIe Cable and using the pigtail connector for both connections on the GPU (Fixed now)

img_20010z0k2vzwkk7.png

Rest of my system:

R7-3800X

32GB DDR4 3733 CL 14 + Subtimings tuned @ 1,52V

RTX 3080 Ti ASUS TUF

Bunch of SSDs

And a lots of RGB (static color)

Edited by Lazy-Joe-89

On 12/31/2021 at 9:36 PM, Lazy-Joe-89 said:

Hi Guys. Sry im late to the party. But I found this thread via google search.

I have a Corsair RM 750x (V2) 2018 and I got a ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti like 1 month now. Today I was playing CP2077 @ 5K with DLSS Performance + RT @ Ultra @ 50 FPS with G-Sync (smooth)  which is then 2560x1440 internal resoultion. Out of a sudden....shutdown complete PC.

I was scared as hell. It was also in the middle of the night. 4' o clock.

I was immedialtey sure it was the power supply. As it turns out. I was only using one PCIe cable with the pigtail to connect both PCIe connectos on the GPU. 

I was always thinkin because its a Single Rail PSU it only needs one connection. But after reading this thread especially that one comment from the corsair staff guy. I shuted down the pc. And connected a second PCIe cable to the PSU and GPU!

Now it looks ugly as hell, especially in a Lian Li o11 Dynamic. But wtf...I will see if it happens again. I hope not.

Before I got the RTX 3080 Ti. I was using a RTX 2080 non Super, which was undervolted via Powerlimit @ 200W. Never had a Problem for over 1 year with one PCIe Cable + Pigtail

Any Ideas how to manage now those lying around cables which are not needed? 

This is my system with one PCIe Cable and using the pigtail connector for both connections on the GPU (Fixed now)

img_20010z0k2vzwkk7.png

Rest of my system:

R7-3800X

32GB DDR4 3733 CL 14 + Subtimings tuned @ 1,52V

RTX 3080 Ti ASUS TUF

Bunch of SSDs

And a lots of RGB (static color)

So it just hard powered off completely? Or did it restart? Were you monitoring your temps? It could've potentially been a thermal shutdown to protect your hardware, like if a heatsink wasn't making full contact.

As for the "ugliness" of the PCI-e power cables, you could buy one of these, which would significantly improve the appearance (though you might want to paint it white to match your case): EVGA PowerLink

It looks like it's even on sale, normally $20, now $5 with free one-day shipping (I have no connection with Amazon or EVGA)

You could also try displaying your GPU vertically with a riser/extender, combined with the PowerLink.

Another option is to embrace the cabling, albeit in a fashionable way with sleeved color power cables. CableMod is the most well-known company that makes these, though Corsair eventually started selling some of their own.

Be warned however that you must only use cables that are designed for whatever specific PSU you're using, they're not interchangeable (at least not without some electrical knowledge).

Just a few ideas.

Edited by Coldblackice

On 1/9/2022 at 1:34 AM, Coldblackice said:

So it just hard powered off completely? Or did it restart? Were you monitoring your temps? It could've potentially been a thermal shutdown to protect your hardware, like if a heatsink wasn't making full contact.

As for the "ugliness" of the PCI-e power cables, you could buy one of these, which would significantly improve the appearance (though you might want to paint it white to match your case): EVGA PowerLink

It looks like it's even on sale, normally $20, now $5 with free one-day shipping (I have no connection with Amazon or EVGA)

You could also try displaying your GPU vertically with a riser/extender, combined with the PowerLink.

Another option is to embrace the cabling, albeit in a fashionable way with sleeved color power cables. CableMod is the most well-known company that makes these, though Corsair eventually started selling some of their own.

Be warned however that you must only use cables that are designed for whatever specific PSU you're using, they're not interchangeable (at least not without some electrical knowledge).

Just a few ideas.

Thx for the reply.

But as I mentioned I solved the problem by connecting to PCIe Cable from the Power Supply to the graphic card. Before I was using one cable with pigtail connection to power the second PCIe Connector on the GPU.

The immedialtey shutdown when Gaming never happened again.

Edited by Lazy-Joe-89