Corsair Community

New Build - Need Help With Fans/Lighting

Magic Rat

I just built myself a new computer this week. Got it all wired and ready to go except for the fans and lighting....(which SHOULD be simple but isn't to me). I'm lost and need some patient and understanding soul to spell it out for me in plain language.

Here is what I have....(6) QL 120mm fans (including 2 mounted to the Corsair H100i Platinum AIO...I used QL instead of the supplied fans as I wanted all 6 fans to be the same and the best)

Also have a Commander Pro to hook it all to...

I understand (more or less) the iCUE software once I get it all wired and running....

So...exactly please (and simple....like you are explaining to a 10 year old)....how do I wire up these (6) fans using the supplied hubs and the Commander Pro?

Each QL fan has 2 wires - 1 for power/speed control and the other for RGB lighting. The RGB wire should be tagged and it has the flatter connector head.

1) All RGB wires go to the Lighting Node Core, which hopefully you have at least 1 from buying the multi-pack of QL. If not, you are going to need a power source for the lighting.

2) Fans on the Core device must go in sequential order from 1. You are using 6 and it has 6 ports, so that part is easy. However, connect the fans in the order you wish them to light for sequential effects. #1 should probably be on of the end fans.

3) Fan power and control. The 4 case fans will go to the Commander Pro's fan headers for control. The 2 on the radiator will go to the pump's splitter. The Platinum will control its two QL fans. The Commander all the rest.

4) The Commander has a USB 2 connector. This must go to the motherboard and its how the devices link back to the software. The Core device also has a USB connection. It can go to the MB as well or connect into either of the 2 passthrough ports on the Commander.

5) In iCUE, all lighting will happen from the Lighting effects tab for the Core device. Fan control will be under the Performance Tab in the Commander for those 4 and the H100i Platinum for its 2.

Lots more here: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

The preference is the pump controller. You can connect them to the Commander, tell it you want to use H100i Temp (coolant temp) just like the AIO controller, and it will work fine when the software is running. However, if you quit iCUE (including boot, restart, etc) the Commander will loose the info from the cooler and the fans will either max out or stay fixed at their last speed. Running from the AIO will make them react to coolant temp changes at all times and all conditions. It is a safer option and they are still programmable from within the software. It just takes two more clicks to go their control panel.

gotcha.....I'll let the pump do it then......that will be for just the fan speed control....

the RGB control will still come from the RGB Node and all 6 fans can be mapped in order around my case.....

I have the entire computer built....I understand hooking up all the important parts....but for some reason I couldn't wrap my head around how to incorporate the fans and lighting.....I'll get all that wired up over the weekend and be ready to "press the button" by Monday.....

Thank you very much