Corsair Community

New build PSU recommendations

Lawson112

Hi all,

I'm building a new rig and my knowledge about PSU's is a little limited. I'm planning on using an AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, an AMD RX 5600 XT and an Asus ROG Strix Z390 F motherboard. What PSU would you recommend. I'm also looking for a case if you have any suggestions. Thanks

For the PSU, there are a few online tools that are quite good where you plug in the list of major components you are planning to use and it will cough up a recommended wattage number.

This one isn't bad.

There are different schools of thought of how high to go once you get that number.

Personally I like to have a lot of headroom in my PSU so it doesn't strain and so I can upgrade parts down the track. A stable PSU is one of the most important parts to a PC build and often overlooked.

Others say you shouldn't go too far above what you need as you don't want to draw unnecessary power and some PSUs aren't efficient unless they are pushing out a reasonable percentage of their capacity. You can get into religious wars here if you want to !!

As far as cases go, that is quite a personal thing too and you need to decide what is important to you. Most of the recommendations you get here will be for Corsair cases and you really can't go wrong with them. I have just bought a 500D SE and that is a really pretty case, but quite expensive. Do you want to show off your build? If not, you probably don't care too much about windowed sides, you just want pretty good cooling and something that will sit quietly in a corner and not look ugly. There are plenty of nice unobtrusive Corsair cases that do that. I have used LianLi in the past as well and they also make very good cases, but this is a Corsair forum and we are all a little biased !

If you want a monster showpiece case with its own gravitational field then you want the Corsair 1000D. There are plenty of photos around here showing that off. Look for any post from Zotty, he's done amazing things with his.

Good luck.

Hi all,

I'm building a new rig and my knowledge about PSU's is a little limited. I'm planning on using an AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, an AMD RX 5600 XT and an Asus ROG Strix Z390 F motherboard. What PSU would you recommend? I'm also looking for a new case if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Ryzen processors will not work on the Z390. get an X570 motherboard for Ryzen

Thank you both for the help, it's been very useful especially as I hadn't noticed that the motherboard wasn't compatible. I am running on a budget and I was wondering if an ASUS TUF Gaming B450-PLUS ATX Motherboard would be suitable. Motherboards, like PSU's, are not a strong point of me.

To help you understand that point about motherboards and CPUs the basic rule to follow is. There are 2 different manufacturers of CPUs

1) Intel

2) AMD

Their CPUs are not interchangeable and you must get a motherboard that is appropriate for the family of CPU that you want.

All motherboard manufacturers these days make motherboards for both types of CPUs. So for example ASUS makes both Intel motherboards and AMD motherboards.

What you need to do as a buyer is to carefully examine the specs of the motherboard, there are clues there that tell you which CPU it supports. This is where it can start to get tricky as there are different things you need to understand.

One of the main differences is the "chipset". Another is the "socket". Both of those things vary according to the CPU. Here are *some* chipsets

AMD Chipsets: X570, X470, X370, B450, B350, A320, A300

Intel Chipsets: Z390, B365, H310, H370, Q370, B360, Z370

*Some* sockets

AMD Sockets: AM4

Intel Sockets: 1151, 2066

Some people prefer Intel, others prefer AMD. I have used both over many years of building. You will find a budget board and CPU to match what you want,, you just need to ensure that the board and the CPU match each other.

There's lots of reading you can do online, plus ask around here - there's loads of very knowledgeable folks around here :-)