Corsair Community

This is not acceptable!

Kata

Realtek Intel NVidia HP Logitech

1) None of the above have ever prompted a download for other software.

2) None of the above have installed drivers that my system DIDN'T need.

NONE of my Corsair products need drivers to function AS INTENDED.

Your explanation is somewhere between a red herring and a straw-man. Products by other companies that have Windows driver support are for products that require those drivers. You are justifying the inclusion of Corsair drivers that have ZERO necessity for being installed based on attached hardware.

iCUE is POS software.

What industry is that common in? The Gaming Hardware industry? The Advertisement industry? I'm searching through my System32 directory and I can't seem to find another program or process that is even remotely like yours, which prompts me to install a non-microsoft program or feature. Can you tell me specifically who else is doing this? Any of your competitors? Tell me so I know not to buy their products.

Corsair should well have forced iCue down. Realtek does that. So does Intel. And NVidia. HP ... Logitech ...

I did not expect this question to be answered. I appreciate that. I now have a better understanding of the broader intent of the icue adware. They want to give their users a choice to install their optional software. That's arguably better than installing it outright, or mandatory with the driver. I tend to agree. I'll always rather have a choice.

The issue at hand is the method of giving the choice to the end users, which is intrusive, heavy-handed, and spammy.

Further, the key difference is that all those manufacturers mentioned roll out with actual, useful software, and not adware. Your point in regard to my question is moot, because no one else is installing adware in my System32 directory, to be executed with elevated permissions at such time as its daemon sees fit, which prompts me to install their optional software.

Tell me that's not adware, and you're fundamentally, definitively wrong, or outright lying. I'm not concerned which one it is; however you want to attempt to blow smoke up Corsair customers' rear-ends who are expressing their valid concern is your own business, and you're free to do so; but in this case, I see the problem and I'm calling it out.

I've reported the issue here to Corsair, who does not seem to be taking my concern seriously. I've also reported the issue to Microsoft, who were more professional, courteous, and understanding in their response. I'll likely follow up with them in a few days. I encourage anyone else who shares my views on this matter to do the same.

I now have a better understanding of the broader intent of the icue adware. They want to give their users a choice to install their optional software. That's arguably better than installing it outright, or mandatory with the driver. I tend to agree. I'll always rather have a choice.

I don't want to have a FORCED choice. Corsair has no business pushing any drivers to my system that I didn't tell it to install, apart from a generic OS compatibility device driver that allows basic functionality.

I plug in my Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum (manifold better than any POS mouse you can buy from Corsair) and I can use it out-of-the-box with basic functionality. Logitech doesn't prompt to install its Logitech Gaming Software. If I want to get the full benefit of my mouse I go to https://support.logitech.com/en_ca/product/g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse/downloads# , download the software + drivers, and install them myself.

Corsair can just **** right off with it's "choice". glass_darkly you are one of the few who understands the issue. There's no need to concede ground to this idiocy. Corsair has no business installing ANYTHING without user consent.

They posted an update in reddit FAQ:

UPDATE - Hey guys, just to let you know. We’ve pulled the iCUE notification from Windows Update - it was not functioning as we intended. In the future, we’ll make sure to incorporate your feedback into how we communicate with our new customers, and we apologize for any inconvenience that the iCUE update notification caused you.

Cannot delete CUEInstalPrompt.exe

You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this file.

CUEInstallPrompt.exe

File Description: Corsair HID coinstaller

Company: Corsair Memory, Inc.

File Version: 1.0.29.0

Date created 02/11/2018 14:09

Size: 1.02 MB

Brilliant.... I am now infected with this crap that keeps disconnecting my mouse and keyboard...

Cannot delete CUEInstalPrompt.exe

You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this file.

I was also unable to find and uninstall the update. I could see it in Update History, but couldn't find the corresponding update to uninstall, or any update occurring on 11/13/2018 for that matter.

I was able to find the file in C:/Windows/System32/ and delete it (right click the file CUEInstallPrompt.exe and it showed the Delete option with an administrator shield icon. Clicking that and accepting the administrator action confirmation dialog, the file was removed into the recycle bin. After emptying recycle bin the file was gone for good.

In your case, if you have administrator permissions but can't delete the file as administrator, another desperate option would be to open notepad as administrator, open the CUEInstallPrompt.exe file, ctrl+a to select all, delete all the text/gobbledygook, and then save & overwrite the file, rendering it blank & innocuous.

I don't condone or recommend editing or deleting any files in System32, as it could seriously mess up your computer. But if you are desperate to fix the solution, and you're very careful to only affect that 1 file, you should be good.

Archived