Corsair Community

Do Revision values matter when comparing Kits?

Glorfendill

So, short version. Is there an actual difference in the Ram modules included in the following two Kits (specifically the Revisions are 'B' vs 'X')?

CMK128GX4M8X3600C18

CMK64GX4M4B3600C18

I'm wondering if there's actually been a revision change since the 4 Module Kit was being Made and the 8 Module kit, or if they are actually the same Module?

Longer Version. I'm wanting to stay on my MoBo QVL list and CMK128GX4M8X3600C18 is listed as a valid option utilizing all 8 DIMM slots. In comparison CMK64GX4M4B3600C18 (which I can actually get 2 kits cheaper that 1 of the 8 module kits) is only listed for 4 DIMM slots. I suspect that they should work fine if I order 2 and fill all 8 slots.. but I've been bitten by going off QVL before, and don't want to repeat that.

To save effort, I'm running an Asus Rog Strix X299-E with an 8 Core Intel I-7.

What matters is the revision of the kit, those are indicative of what brand/version memory chips are being used for said memory stick. It goes like this:

Ver 3.xx = Micron D9TBH

Ver 4.31 = Samsung B-die

Ver 5.30 = Hynix AFR

Ver 5.39 = Hynix MFR

This is important and the QVLs mention it because if you have a kit with a version not mentioned the compatibility is not garanteed even if you have the right model of memory/kit.

This is very unfortunate because if you are purchasing online like most do, you have no way of knowing that version in advance...

But in your particular case I can garanteed you will be getting a Samsung based kit! This because for they speed (3600) only Samsung is capable of it and your kit will be Samsung b-die.

As to your particular doubt, CMK64GX4M4B3600C18 is validated for 4 slots because it is a 4 x kit. Usually motherboard manufactureres do not validate kits in double, since they also mostly do not have two kits of the same model and revision on hand to do so.

I suspect you will be fine with 2 x 64gb model kit.

Mixing two of the 4 up kits together will most likely not work. The X kit is tested with all 8 modules and requires extra guardband in order to work. The X kit was created specifically for X299

Thanks, Yeah I found another thread that one of the Corsair engineers basically said mixing kits is never a recommended idea. So I went ahead and paid more for the single x kit. Sounds like I definitely made the right choice.

Archived