Corsair Community

Pc randomly crashes

Steve4465

Hey all, my pc has been crashing the past couple of weeks. I posted in the ram section and corsair suggested I RMA my ram because its still under warranty, so I did that. I was hoping that would fix it, but it still continues to crash on me. I have also replaced my GPU (crashed before replacing so its not that) I'm stuck trying to figure out what it could be... wondering if maybe its my PSU, what would you suggest doing? I dont have a spare PSU that I could hook up. I'm running the AX860i

When you say "Crash", what do you mean exactly? Are you getting a blue screen of death? or does the computer simply shut off or restart on you.

Please post was OS you are using and other components.

Often times, if a computer simply restarts, especially while under load, heat is to blame. Check your CPU temperatures and make sure they are within manufacturer specifications.

If you are getting a blue screen, it will give you an initial error code, sort of like this 0x0000001e, if you have that, post it.

It reboots and starts back up to windows, I am using windows 10. It was having this problem before I upgraded to windows 10 as well.

Asus Maximus V Forumla

Corsair Dominator Ram

Msi GTX 970

Corsair H100i cooler

Intel i7 3770k processor.

I've never had an issue with overheating before, it idles around 32C

I also have 76 occurrences of the following

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 2/25/2016 2:56:39 PM

Event ID: 41

Task Category: (63)

Level: Critical

Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)

User: SYSTEM

Computer: Steve

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>3</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-25T20:56:39.734466000Z" />

<EventRecordID>4372</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Steve</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">6</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">131009023915761353</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">3221225684</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Many people with this PSU had the same problem. I returned one AX860i last week.

Just send it to RMA, my friend. :-(

PS: Look for old posts with jonnyguru's comments. Unfortunatelly I don't have the links here.

I also have 76 occurrences of the following

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 2/25/2016 2:56:39 PM

Event ID: 41

Task Category: (63)

Level: Critical

Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)

User: SYSTEM

Computer: Steve

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

</Event>

Actually, any error messages before this one should be more interesting because this message only tells that Windows started from a state that it was not properly shut down - Think about this as waking up after someone hit you with a bat and you have no recollection of getting hit on the first place but your head hurts.

if there are no error messages that probably indicates a hardware failure.

(since drivers problems are usually reported by a kernel panic AKA blue screen of dead)

You mentioned that you replaced the RAM and GPU and the problem persist. Based on this I would look at your motherboard or PSU.

Have you check the BIOS version on your motherboard? if not, probably is time to check Asus Website and make sure that you are running on the latest version.

A couple questions that I would like to know

1) How long you have using your motherboard

2) Any recent changes - besides that you mentioned - before and after the problem started - Please list everything regardless if you don't think that is related to your issue

3) Can you make the crash happen? or is it random?

4) If It random, Do you know if there are any circumstances that could trigger (or improves the chances) the crash (if I do X,Y and Z, it crash)

5) Are you using any type of overclocking? If so what happen if you set to default (non-overclocked values)?

6) Are you using XMP profile on your RAM, If so, what happen when you set non-XMP values

7) Have you confirmed that the RAM that you are using is listed on the Manufacturer Approved list for your Motherboard.

One of the test that I would run would be to stress your CPU and RAM using Ultimate boot CD. ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) see if you can get the issue, this would isolate further the problem and it may give you clues about what is the source of the problem.

Archived