Corsair Community

One cable or two?

drminer

I have the HX850i and would like to connect a Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP!, which draws up to 250W and requires an 8-pin and a 6-pin connector. Can I safely get away with using only one cable ending in two 6+2 connectors? Or do I need to use two separate cables? I have seen conflicting answers from other manufacturers and would like a definitive answer for the HX850i. Thanks!

For 250 watt under 3 feet cable length we need 8 or 10 AWG strength. You'll easily get away with your current cable. I suggest you order this very useful temperature gun from amazon, put your GPU on stress for 15 minutes and then scan your GPU cable with this gun to see if its overheating or not.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Non-Contact-Infrared-Temperature-Thermometer/dp/B002YE3FS4

For 250 watt under 3 feet cable length we need 8 or 10 AWG strength. You'll easily get away with your current cable. I suggest you order this very useful temperature gun from amazon, put your GPU on stress for 15 minutes and then scan your GPU cable with this gun to see if its overheating or not.

Another bad post :mad:. The limit is not down to the wire thickness, it's down to the pins that are used in the connector :!:.

Can I safely get away with using only one cable ending in two 6+2 connectors? Or do I need to use two separate cables?

Take it easy, English is not my first language but you need to learn your phrasing. Must use two 6+2 i.e 8 pin connectors, each female connector on your card is 150watt.

Take it easy, English is not my first language but you need to learn your phrasing. Must use two 6+2 i.e 8 pin connectors, each female connector on your card is 150watt.

The issue is not the two connections to the GPU, but the one connection to the PSU. There should be two connections to the PSU so two cables should be used.

Your posts are no really helping and are just adding confusion.

The issue is not the two connections to the GPU, but the one connection to the PSU. There should be two connections to the PSU so two cables should be used.

You shouldn't worry about having only one port on your PSU. But if you're skeptical, use molex to 8 pin converter. I hope its not confusing anymore.

http://s24.postimg.org/537lolaut/BJg_K8.jpg

You shouldn't worry about having only one port on your PSU. But if you're skeptical, use molex to 8 pin converter. I hope its not confusing anymore.

The image confirms you are talking utter rubbish. The HX850i has enough PCIe outputs to use two PCIe cables for each GPU. Given this using a Molex to PCIe cable is to say the least inappropriate. Stop being silly!

Instead of posting this **** you could do something sensible like adding your PC specs to your profile, that's assuming you have not overloaded the PSU connections and broken it.

Depending on your GPU you can use the single cable with two connectors, but it is recommended to use two separate cables for each connector on the GPU.

The sleeving isn't going to melt off. The pins are the weakest link, they'll overheat and cause some discoloration and sometimes melting of the connetors. But the wires never get hot enough to melt anything.

Pigtail connectors are fine for GPUs with a 6-pin and an 8-pin as those cards shouldn't be pulling anything more than 225W from the PCIe cables, but certainly not anything with a pair of 8-pin connectors.

There are many other similar posts.

The image confirms you are talking utter rubbish. Stop being silly!

Instead of posting this **** you would do something sensible like adding your PC specs to your profile, that's assuming you have not overloaded the PSU connections and broken it.

You're just being rude and acting like a teenager going thru puberty. Its not my fault that you're so confused how current works. Your PSU has a 12 Volts rail which can deliver 850 watts on all yellow wires thru molex, PCI-e etc connectors. You're repeatedly blabbing about connectors, when its all about amp handling i.e thickness of yellow wires. There are four +12v wires in your

8 pin connector and three +12v wires in your 6+2 pin connector. Corsair PSUs are HCS complaint, so stop being fussy about it.

You're just being rude and acting like a teenager going thru puberty.

I tried to be polite, explain why you are incorrect, included information and other posts to show you are incorrect. I now will leave it to others to deal with your misinformation.

You're repeatedly blabbing about connectors, when its all about amp handling i.e thickness of yellow wires.

jonnyguru is the Corsair PSU product manager, read what he posted again ("The pins are the weakest link"). I also just found as below which is shows I have known how many PCIe cables should be used for some time.

red-ray is correct. Unlike the stock cables which have two PCIe per cable, the indy sleeved cables are one to one, so you'll need TWO cables for one card.

Archived