Corsair Community

Commando Mini

Matego

Hi Everyone

My first post here :bigeyes:

I am having issues with my current Lamptron fan controller. Basically it caused my fans (corsairs AF140 and panaflos 120) to buzz when I lower the speed below 60%.

However, I tried plugging corsairs to the motherboard and lower the speed to 40% using speedfan and it does not buzz.

May have something to do with how Lamptron reduce the voltage.

So the question is whether the Commando Mini can do the job without the buzzing sound?

I am planning to upgrade all 4 panaflos to the SP120 PWM and planning to get the Phanteks 140XP PWM to upgrade my 3 corsairs AF140. I would have gone with the SP140L but they are not available separately.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Mat

May have something to do with how Lamptron reduce the voltage.

So the question is whether the Commando Mini can do the job without the buzzing sound?

With PWM fans the voltage does not get reduced.

Looking at https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=lamptron+fan+controller+buzzing there are many reports of buzzing, but for https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl&q=corsair+commander+mini+buzzing there are not, so I expect a CL Mini will not generate a buzzing sound.

I have 4 x CL Mini and have never noticed a buzzing sound.

Cheers red-ray for the reply.

I think I will get the CL mini and see how it goes.

It is very interesting to see why the fan is not buzzing when I plug it to my motherboard and controlled through speedfan. Mind you these are non PWM fan.

Let us know what happens. When you get the CL Mini please will you tell me which firmware version is comes with. All mine came with 1.1.04 rather than the latest with is 1.1.06, but that was several months ago.

I find that in 4-pin PWM fans work far better than 3-pin voltage fans.

• 2 months later...

I finally got my commander mini and 4 Corsair SP120PWM.

First thing I notice is that there are no buzzing from any of the fan. So its either my Lamptron fan controller is dodgy or maybe a pwm fans are better to be controlled by a pwm controller.

I haven't had the chance to play around with it yet but so far I am happy with it.

And red-ray, the firmware version is 1.1.6.

2 of the fans gives a strange noise on max speed but that will an issue for another day.

Archived