Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a strictly reference card, not just "reference design", the thickness of the pads should be right. Yes, the card might bend first, but after time, it will settle.

You could tighten the bracket, leave it without any AIO attached on a table and let it sit for a day or two. Eventually, it should settle since the Components will make a imprint in the thermal pads to give better thermal conductivity. You might also try gradually tighting the screws from time to time until the screws are fully tightened and Everything settled.

Edited by sebastiannielse

Looks like those thermal pads are too thick and causing the bend, or something at the back of the cooler from the pics.

Damn

Correct. I'm attempting to install an HG10 N980 on my EVGA ACX 2.0 980ti, and the issue is two-fold:

1. The HG10 attaches to the PCB with 6 screws. On the HG10, there are small posts to receive each screw. There's a hole on the PCB (directly above the right-hand side of the PCI contacts) that could be used with a 7th screw, but there's no receiving post. Tightening the 6 screws to the point that you'd expect (so that the HG10 is tight to the PCB) bends the PCB.

2. The thermal padding on my unit was incorrectly placed/sized: it covered most of the VRM chips, but also covered a bit of some taller chips, which (combined with the lack of a 7th screw post) causes a fair amount of the bending.

I trimmed the thermal padding, and made sure to not tighten the 6 screws completely (as another poster was advised by support.) I'm no longer getting the immediate-on-startup overheating/shutdown on my 980ti that I was before, but it's still not cooling it correctly - it idles at ~31c, but when running 3dmark goes directly to 90c, causes the HG10's blower fan to go nuts, etc. This is while hooked up to a new H100i GTX. Any thoughts?

On a strictly reference card, not just "reference design", the thickness of the pads should be right. Yes, the card might bend first, but after time, it will settle.

You could tighten the bracket, leave it without any AIO attached on a table and let it sit for a day or two. Eventually, it should settle since the Components will make a imprint in the thermal pads to give better thermal conductivity. You might also try gradually tighting the screws from time to time until the screws are fully tightened and Everything settled.

The thing is that none of the other HG10 brackets caused the PCB to bend, only the N980 has thermal pads that people are saying don't line up correctly and cause the PCB to bend. It's sounding like a bad design and poor QA after all these months to be honest :sigh!:

If something causes your £400-£800 video card to bend during installation, then there's a big problem; that is completely unacceptable. I'll give Corsair the benefit of the doubt though, but if it does cause my card to bend, the bracket and the cooler is going straight back.

I personally appreciate your input, but if anything, it's somebody from Corsair who should be saying it. It's strange that they've said nothing.

Edited by anti-duck

Correct. I'm attempting to install an HG10 N980 on my EVGA ACX 2.0 980ti, and the issue is two-fold:

1. The HG10 attaches to the PCB with 6 screws. On the HG10, there are small posts to receive each screw. There's a hole on the PCB (directly above the right-hand side of the PCI contacts) that could be used with a 7th screw, but there's no receiving post. Tightening the 6 screws to the point that you'd expect (so that the HG10 is tight to the PCB) bends the PCB.

2. The thermal padding on my unit was incorrectly placed/sized: it covered most of the VRM chips, but also covered a bit of some taller chips, which (combined with the lack of a 7th screw post) causes a fair amount of the bending.

I trimmed the thermal padding, and made sure to not tighten the 6 screws completely (as another poster was advised by support.) I'm no longer getting the immediate-on-startup overheating/shutdown on my 980ti that I was before, but it's still not cooling it correctly - it idles at ~31c, but when running 3dmark goes directly to 90c, causes the HG10's blower fan to go nuts, etc. This is while hooked up to a new H100i GTX. Any thoughts?

This is worrying me more and more. My first install did the same, idled at 32 but shot up to 85. I'm waiting for my RMA since one of the standoffs broke when installing the h75 cooler.

I'm afraid the cooler won't make enough contact whether it's the pads the bending of the pcb or the stanoffs being too tall.

Hoping the second try goes better.

Just ordered the N970 for my Gainward GTX 970. Should be installing it along with an H60 first thing next year.

That gives me a bit over a month to sort out the rest of the mods (braided cables, side panel, H100i custom logo). Aw yiss!

I had a standoff break as well, shooting my idle temps up to 65 degrees Celcius. I cannot believe what a disaster this product launch has become. A full night wasted, now I have to uninstall all of this bull****. What an idiotic design.

If they don't handle this well, this is going to be my last Corsair product ever... And this is coming from a guy who has 90% of his accessories Corsair.

I had a standoff break as well, shooting my idle temps up to 65 degrees Celcius. I cannot believe what a disaster this product launch has become. A full night wasted, now I have to uninstall all of this bull****. What an idiotic design.

If they don't handle this well, this is going to be my last Corsair product ever... And this is coming from a guy who has 90% of his accessories Corsair.

I know some of you may be fed up with hearing me, but I can't help but chime in one last time. I said several pages ago that Corsair have messed up, and I ended up buying the EVGA Hybrid kit for £90 delivered. It was so simple to install as you only need to remove the outer shroud and it still uses the reference plate (and therefore 0% chance of PCB bending). All of my build has been MSI and Corsair (excepting my SSD; that's because the Samsung 840 Evo was on sale a while back and I wasn't really aware of Corsair's SSDs) until this. I have a Corsair case, Corsair fans, Corsair RAM, Corsair PSU, Corsair CPU AIO, and now an EVGA hybrid kit on my ref. 980 Ti.

I don't want to seem like I'm rubbing it in, but I am soooo happy I went with the hybrid kit rather than facing all the problems the majority of you guys are. It also means I have so many more cases to look at now I'm not sticking exclusively with Corsair (I try to upgrade each component approx. every 12-18months, and it is my cases turn now). Some people might think I lack brand loyalty, but to be honest, this whole HG10 thing has been a massive cluster**** for the last 3 months and it was the complete radio silence that eventually turned me off.

My old Headmaster from my days at school had a saying that I think is relevent here:

"A good reputation can take years, even decades to build, but only seconds to destroy."

Someone within Corsair needs to take a good, hard look at this entire affair.

Edited by Makalaure

Yeah, I've noticed that there hasn't been any corsair rep near this thread since the release and subsequent failed installations.

I'm not feeling that confident about my replacement. I might just send everything back and be done with the n980. Then again everything can go right with the replacement and I might be a happy camper. Will have to give it another shot and see what happens.

Welcome to the club, mate. This is really very, very frustrating. I loosened the screws a bit as suggested by support. It almost killed my card. Went to 95 degrees celsius in two seconds. So its either bent card and super high temperatures or no bend but danger of destruction by heat. Great job, Corsair.

Edited by sunthief

I am hoping that the bending is related to the six bracket mounting screws being too tight; although, the thermal pads seem a little thick. Will back them off and report the results.

Either way, the reason I decided to post is that I am also experiencing thermal issues and was wondering if I did not tighten the screws enough, apply adequate paste, etc. despite doing many AIO cooler installations.

NOTE: GELID GC-Extreme paste was used instead of the thermal paste included with the H100i.

Going to be busy for most of the day; but, will definitely look further into this and report back with my findings when I am able.

So far, not impressed. The instructions were an absolute failure. I instead looked at multiple YouTube videos to avoid potential damage to a $900 video card.

Is there anyone who has succesfully managed to install the HG10 N980 with a cooler?

1. What reference model are you using and which cooler?

2. What are your temps?

yes

1. EVGA Titan X SC 12G-P4-2992-KR and H50

2. idle 28c/32c, load 50c/55c

new1.thumb.jpg.6029aa7db0b397407cf9729dcd540d71.jpg

new2.thumb.jpg.383bc7325242a7f1a1c980cd77a53f74.jpg

Edited by escannihilator

I would, for you disappointed customers, instead of sending Everything back, suggest doing this:

On the metal bracket, to the left in the Picture here, that was sent with your cooler:

http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/7/2/7272_19_corsair-hydro-h80i-gt-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review.jpg

drill 4 holes that are about 3-4mm large, one on each leg, about 1mm from the inner circle.

Then add screws, must be like 2.5 cm long, M3, through the drilled holes, then through the 4 corner holes around the GPU. (there is 8 holes around the GPU)

Tighten using a washer and a nut, but tighten carefully so you dont crack the GPU.

If you want to have it as tight as possible without risking damaging the GPU, add 4 springs (those that was sent with the stock cooler is good to go), then 4 more washers, then tighten with a nut until the springs are fully compressed, but not any more.

Now you can loosen a Little bit on the cooler to bracket screws, without the card getting too hot.

I would, for you disappointed customers, instead of sending Everything back, suggest doing this:

On the metal bracket, to the left in the Picture here, that was sent with your cooler:

http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/7/2/7272_19_corsair-hydro-h80i-gt-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review.jpg

drill 4 holes that are about 3-4mm large, one on each leg, about 1mm from the inner circle.

Then add screws, must be like 2.5 cm long, M3, through the drilled holes, then through the 4 corner holes around the GPU. (there is 8 holes around the GPU)

Tighten using a washer and a nut, but tighten carefully so you dont crack the GPU.

If you want to have it as tight as possible without risking damaging the GPU, add 4 springs (those that was sent with the stock cooler is good to go), then 4 more washers, then tighten with a nut until the springs are fully compressed, but not any more.

Now you can loosen a Little bit on the cooler to bracket screws, without the card getting too hot.

So, to fix the issue caused by poor instructions / weirdly non-precise installation needs, I should drill new, exciting holes into this thing? Nah, I'm good.

I have 2 brackets ready to go, but I am too scared to mess things up. Probably gonna wait till corsair releases a youtube video about how to install.

Edit.I noticed they just released a video for the hg970

Edited by ronso

I have 2 brackets ready to go, but I am too scared to mess things up. Probably gonna wait till corsair releases a youtube video about how to install.

Edit.I noticed they just released a video for the hg970

Right - they use a 970 for their demonstration, which has none of the bending / thermal pad issues.

I'm curious if they'll release some official info on the "right" way to install this thing.