Corsair Community

Mistyping keys

acol

You probably wouldn't want a refund for 3 year old faulty product. A repair would be a good outcome.

I`ve had several of my customers ask me to repair 2 - 3 year old TVs. As I no longer do TV repairs, I informed them about the sale of goods act. I know a couple of these customers got their TVs repaired free of charge, once they told the store about the law. One of the TV's had a faulty LCD panel, which would have been expensive to replace. The retailer didn't want to know at first, but once he got an independant report done on the fault, and passed it onto the retailer, they fixed the fault.

You don't have to "prove the damage was from the manufacturer". You have to show that the fault wasn't caused by misuse or excessive use. In other words, the fault was due to component(s) failing because they are not up to the job of lasting a reasonable amount of time.

There is a grey area, but common sense should tell you what is reasonable and what isn't reasonable.

A cheap product will almost certainly be manufactured with cheaper components, and therefore it is reasonable to expect it to fail sooner rather than later.

A more expensive version of the same type of product should be manufactured with better quality components, and to a higher standard. It is therefore reasonable to expect it to last a lot longer than the warranty period (usually 12 months).

As far as these mechanical keyboards go, the Cherry switches are supposed to be high quality and long lasting, and therefore actual switch failure should be pretty rare. The electronics within the keyboard (even the RGB models) is fairly simple compared with many electronic products, and therefore should last many years. What can, and probably does cause many failures is simply poor quality manufacturing. I would guess that the most common failures are caused by bad connections. A keyboard is subjected to a fair bit of vibration caused by typing. If the manufacturer doesn't pay attention to the quality of the soldered connections on the keyboard PCB, the chances are that there will be reliability issues. With good design and manufacturing, these issues can be mostly avoided.

You probably wouldn't want a refund for 3 year old faulty product. A repair would be a good outcome.

I`ve had several of my customers ask me to repair 2 - 3 year old TVs. As I no longer do TV repairs, I informed them about the sale of goods act. I know a couple of these customers got their TVs repaired free of charge, once they told the store about the law. One of the TV's had a faulty LCD panel, which would have been expensive to replace. The retailer didn't want to know at first, but once he got an independant report done on the fault, and passed it onto the retailer, they fixed the fault.

You don't have to "prove the damage was from the manufacturer". You have to show that the fault wasn't caused by misuse or excessive use. In other words, the fault was due to component(s) failing because they are not up to the job of lasting a reasonable amount of time.

There is a grey area, but common sense should tell you what is reasonable and what isn't reasonable.

A cheap product will almost certainly be manufactured with cheaper components, and therefore it is reasonable to expect it to fail sooner rather than later.

A more expensive version of the same type of product should be manufactured with better quality components, and to a higher standard. It is therefore reasonable to expect it to last a lot longer than the warranty period (usually 12 months).

As far as these mechanical keyboards go, the Cherry switches are supposed to be high quality and long lasting, and therefore actual switch failure should be pretty rare. The electronics within the keyboard (even the RGB models) is fairly simple compared with many electronic products, and therefore should last many years. What can, and probably does cause many failures is simply poor quality manufacturing. I would guess that the most common failures are caused by bad connections. A keyboard is subjected to a fair bit of vibration caused by typing. If the manufacturer doesn't pay attention to the quality of the soldered connections on the keyboard PCB, the chances are that there will be reliability issues. With good design and manufacturing, these issues can be mostly avoided.

The stores can always refuse to repair it citing costs and just offer a partial refund, which if im right does not state a max amount that cna be deducted.

I dont think common sense wins court cases involving gray areas.

soldering cant be vibrated loose that easily. and they can be avoided but again money.

No I don't need a source because you would have to be a moron to think that not a single Logitech or Razor keyboard has failed at the 3 year mark. Also if you read what I said about how companies calculate the warrenty period then you would know you got a good keyboard out of the keyboard lot.

This is what you said:

You could try Logitech or Razor course their keyboards do fail around the 3 year mark too.

You implied that the typical lifespan of a Razer or Logitech keyboard is three years which is total nonsense. You made a blanket statement without providing any evidence to support your claim. Clearly only an idiot would believe Razer and Logitech keyboards always last more than three years but that's not you said in your said in your initial post.

Also how long everyone expects a keyboard to last is just what they want it to last. Btw that law doesn't extend your warreenty, it's there to prevent companies from giving BS warreenty periods like say 3 months on a mid range keyboard (k70, chroma, g910). Because it's easy to argue that case. Say Logitech gives a 3 month warreenty and razor offers 2 years. Similar products but one company is obviously trying to screw you. Then you can take them to court and go well that's not right. Laws aren't just based on what the consumer thinks. Most countries have some form of protection for the consumer for when they try and screw customers with a crappy warranty

I'd suggest doing at least a cursory amount of research on laws and their statutory interpretations before attempting to explain them. As you say, laws aren't based on what consumers think. Your post is a perfect example of this.

soldering cant be vibrated loose that easily. and they can be avoided but again money.

Can't it ?

I've spent many years in the consumer electronics repair trade, and have had to re-solder many connections that have failed due to vibration, usually on lower quality products. A product can leave a factory in perfect working order, but may have poor quality soldered joints. When exposed to a certain amount of vibration, these soldered connections can eventually break down, causing intermittent or permanent faults.

And yes, a store might offer a partial refund if the repair is not economical.

At the end of the day, it's up to the manufacturer to decide how much money and effort they want to put into the design and manufacture of their products, and it's for the consumer to decide which products to buy. Most consumers will probably not want to spend extra money of more expensive products if they know that reliability might be an issue.

Can't it ?

I've spent many years in the consumer electronics repair trade, and have had to re-solder many connections that have failed due to vibration, usually on lower quality products. A product can leave a factory in perfect working order, but may have poor quality soldered joints. When exposed to a certain amount of vibration, these soldered connections can eventually break down, causing intermittent or permanent faults.

And yes, a store might offer a partial refund if the repair is not economical.

At the end of the day, it's up to the manufacturer to decide how much money and effort they want to put into the design and manufacture of their products, and it's for the consumer to decide which products to buy. Most consumers will probably not want to spend extra money of more expensive products if they know that reliability might be an issue.

I took apart my K95 to see the sobering. It seems above par from most sodering I've seen on consumer grade electronics. And yes it might fail on some products that should be rugged but aren't but in the end your still trying to shake/vibrate a switch loose from the PCB by typing.

I took apart my K95 to see the sobering. It seems above par from most sodering I've seen on consumer grade electronics. And yes it might fail on some products that should be rugged but aren't but in the end your still trying to shake/vibrate a switch loose from the PCB by typing.

Most soldered joints in most consumer electronics looks very similar to the naked eye. It's only after a period of use that you find out if the soldering is actually good quality or not.

There are different solder formulations, and there are different methods and conditions to apply solder to PCBs. The soldering in a control module of an aircraft will obviously be different (and hopefully better quality !) than the soldering in a portable radio. When designing and building electronic products, manufacturers should consider the operating conditions that the product will be exposed to, and choose appropriate solder/soldering methods to suit.

Archived