Corsair Community

Corsair gets exclusive Cherry contract and then ostracizes 2/3 OS's

k03hl3r

I realize that this is my second post on this topic, but a friend of mine noted something interesting about Corsair's support of Linux/OSX.

Corsair negotiated an exclusive contract with Cherry for their RGB switches. They then proceeded to not support 2 of the 3 major OS's.

This means that the two major competitors who are releasing RGB keyboards at this time were both forced to develop their own keyswitches or use knockoffs. One of those competitors FULLY supports OSX.

Essentially what Corsair has done has told OSX and Linux users who want a Cherry keyswitch-based RGB keyboard to take a walk in the park. They themselves chose to not support OSX/Linux, but they also took away the ability for competitors to support OSX/Linux users with a Cherry RGB keyboard. It's really quite insulting.

Corsair, please release an official statement as to why you are choosing to not support the entire market despite having taken the market's ability to compete away and ostracized OSX and Linux users.

the fewer entities who support those markets the better as it will force people to stop using that garbage. if you're mad just install windows.

I have Windows installed, and I use it for most gaming purposes. However, when I'm working on music or video editing, I'm in OSX. I also use OSX for general computing.

Do you honestly think that *NIX based operating systems are "garbage?" o.O

I guess I would have to agree. To be fair to Corsair, it is a new product, and the RGB-function is a completely original feature. I suppose given the complexity of the software and the bugs that come with it as already reported, it would be expected for them to focus first on the more popular Windows OS, and then, hopefully, roll out the proper support for the other OSs.

But I would also like to support Badman5' question, has anyone tested it on Mac and Linux yet?

Since I'm waiting for a german layout K70 mx-brown I cannot comment on if it works with mac os x, but that is something I will test as soon as I can.

But my understanding so far is, that copying profiles on the keyboard is not really working at the moment. As long as that is not fixed, you will probably have the out of the box vanilla K70 under os x, the same way like under windows without drivers.

Unfortunately, the windows/meta key is single spaced, so you are not able to switch the alt and meta key (that is something you can do in the os x system preferences, switch alt and metakey).

I already looked for replacement, but single cherry mx caps are usually "esc" keycaps (http://www.maxkeyboard.com/products/parts-and-accesssories/key-cap.html). I don't know yet, how they are shaped differently from the k70 meta key.

Maybe someone could tell me, if the "esc" cap looks the same or differently from the "windows"keycap? Thx in advance :)

I bought these for example, to prep a k70 rgb for a friend who uses a mac.

I want to replace the windows/meta key caps as well as the "alt" ones. The 1.25 units long Portal key caps will be the new "command/apple" key caps and the new now small "alt" key cap will be for example the smiley or whatever... we will see how that works out ;)

keycaps.jpg.a2a262d11a93935b1e7d15df18bebae6.jpg

If someone could tell me, if the "esc" key is the same as the windows one, that'll be great :D

Archived