Corsair Community

Push/Pull question which is better?

Cheva

Should I have it like this or the other way around?

-------------------- Top Case Exhaust

2 FANS PULLING

----------------|

RADIATOR

----------------|

2 FANS PUSHING

or

-------------------- Top Case Exhaust

2 FANS PUSHING

----------------|

RADIATOR

----------------|

2 FANS PULLING

Corsair recommends the method you listed second. I tend to agree with that. The difference between the two is always small. The only way to know which is better in your PC is to try both.

Thank you I had a feeling that one would be better as well because I have a HAF X with the 2 200mm fans helping pull the air as well.

Would recommend the first option...cooler air going through the radiator instead of warmer case air. Your exhaust fans can remove the warmed air. See my "Corsair H100 Install in 600T case" video for really efficient operation and very low temps...

Isn't what you are saying the second option? Or do you mean the radiator should be mounted elsewhere, pulling air into the case?

I like the 1st option due to the fact that hot air raises and if you blow down then you work against this...

as long as the case has a good airflow, I really don't think this will make much of a difference (maybe a few degrees if that under heavy load).

Now if the ambient air in the case is quite hot due to lets say 6 HD's and 2 6870 or equivalent cards all producing a ton of heat I would try different options with more flow... with that being said, judging by all the components listed in your sig, I don't think temp will be an issue for you since the temp in the case will be quite low as you don't have a ton of components in a really good case.

Also I don't think you will see any ridiculous change going with the push/pull setup, however I could be wrong. I am judging this by my testing with the system listed above and cranking up the fans to max.... with no difference in temperatures unless the system is heavily under stress.

It seems that as long as you keep your system air flow in 1 general direction you will be fine. If you choose the first example you will need sufficient airflow entering from somewhere else, either the front of case or somewhere at the bottom to keep airflow in 1 direction. If you keep all the airflow Arrows of the fans pointed in the same direction you will have good ventilation.

For your second option you will have more airflow disruption because the front facing fans usually draw air in from the front and now you have air from the top of case drawing air in also. This will cause airflow disruption inside the case. If you go with option 2 you should have efficient rear facing fans drawing air out the back. I don't think that will be as quiet or efficient. With that said, you may not see a huge difference in temp. with setup 1 but you will need less fan speed and it will be less noisy because of uniform airflow.

If you visualize a hairdryer (on) pointed toward the front of the case and another one pointed from the top of the case, think of how much turbulence that would cause inside the case.

Good Luck

I have the HAFX case too with the 2 200mm fans on the top blowing out. I set the push/pull on my H60 blowing into the case from the back. So my case has 4 fans blowing in (1 on the front, 1 large one on the side, and the two for push/pull for H60 from the back) and 2 large ones on top blowing out. Seems to work well.

I have the HAFX case too with the 2 200mm fans on the top blowing out. I set the push/pull on my H60 blowing into the case from the back. So my case has 4 fans blowing in (1 on the front, 1 large one on the side, and the two for push/pull for H60 from the back) and 2 large ones on top blowing out. Seems to work well.

Both of my PCs using the H60 are virtually identical to yours, case and fan wise, and yes it works very well. My CM Sniper has "only" one 200mm fan on the top, but I can literally feel the breeze that fan creates a couple feet away from it, and that is not at it's full speed. I can only imagine what having two of those fans on the top is like.

Then again, my N..T Phantom case has two almost 200mm fans on the top, the higher RPM versions replacing the stock fans (800 vs 1300 RPM), with the same results. If you can get that CPU heat almost immediately out of the case, it's not a problem. The DIMMs would be the only potential problem in this configuration, but their temps are perfect.

Hi Cheva,

I have wondered what to do as well; I went for blowing the air from inside the case out of the back.

It might not be the best but the reason I did that was because my PSU and Nvidia 470 GTX put warm air out the back and I thought that the hot air would rise and get pulled in by the H80 fans.

I also put 4 akasa viper fans in my 600T case connected to the controller the bottom two blow in and the top to suck out.

BTW, this is what I get at idle with 7i 2600-K @ 4.6GHz

/opt/SSD/home/Ubuntu_11.04_x64/me $ sensors

coretemp-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

Core 0: +32.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001

Core 1: +31.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0002

Core 2: +31.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0003

Core 3: +30.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)

Archived