Corsair Community

Can I mod an 8-pin cable like this?

Coldblackice

I have an RMx850 and a Cablemod Pro pack of cables, but I need an extra 8-pin cable which I don't have. I'm wondering if I can chop up the cables I won't use, like the 6-pin cable and molex cables, etc. to make another 8-pin cable out of them.

It seems to me like it shouldn't be a problem, until I noticed that my 8-pin cables both combine two wires/pins on the PCIe end into a single wire/pin on the PSU end, leaving one of the pin/ports open on the 8-pin's PSU connector. From what I'm gathering, it seems there may be a capacitor inside where these wires are merged (beneath the shrink tubing)?

If so, would I be OK making an extra 8-pin cable without this capacitor, or is it pretty necessary? What would be the effects or outcome if I made an 8-pin cable without it?

Corsair sells all types of cable cheap. Get what you need from them.

Extension cables are low cost on eBay. I have 5 bays in my chassis for hard disks so I use a SATA strip and feed that from the main PSU cable which also powers a second strip for the front panel boxes.

Cables galore are low cost on eBay. I use them for specialty stuff a lot.

Corsair sells all types of cable cheap. Get what you need from them.

Extension cables are low cost on eBay. I have 5 bays in my chassis for hard disks so I use a SATA strip and feed that from the main PSU cable which also powers a second strip for the front panel boxes.

Cables galore are low cost on eBay. I use them for specialty stuff a lot.

Thanks. A good suggestion, but I'm doing this both as a simple quick custom-cabling exercise, and then also so I don't have to pay or wait for more cables.

From what I've gathered, it seems not having the capacitor won't have any noticeable negative effect (correct me if I'm wrong). Second, the two wires that get combined into a single pin on the PSU side of the cablemod pro cable are the "Sense" pins, which are fine if they each go to separate ground pins at the PSU instead of being conjoined together into a single ground pin (which would mean only 7 of 8 pins would be populated at the PSU).

So, short of me overlooking something,, as long as I'm making absolute sure I'm correctly wiring source->destination pins (knowing that PSU-side pinouts are not standardized), I should theoretically be okay modding a 6-pin cable into an 8-pin connector, having the two extra sense pins (pins 5 & 6) each go to separate ground pins on the PSU-side connector.

Anything I'm missing or overlooking on this?

I don't recommend messing with type 4 2x12 cable which is designed for modern machines which depend on the addition sense signals provided.

Corsair cables are cheap, but 2x12 is more pesos.

Direct from Corsair is fairly fast, Ebay is slower so I tend to get larger amounts of cables for builds as I do a lot of custom builts in town

• 4 weeks later...
I don't recommend messing with type 4 2x12 cable which is designed for modern machines which depend on the addition sense signals provided.

Corsair cables are cheap, but 2x12 is more pesos.

Direct from Corsair is fairly fast, Ebay is slower so I tend to get larger amounts of cables for builds as I do a lot of custom builts in town

What's the risk of making my own +2 Sense/Ground wires? All I'd be doing is taking a 6-pin cable and adding the +2 pins/wires to it, and since those pins never carry current over them in the first place, I would think this shouldn't be anything difficult or risky -- unless I'm missing something on the spec.

Is there more to the extra +2 pins/wires (Sense + Ground) in an 8-pin that would conflict with soldered wires?

What's the risk of making my own +2 Sense/Ground wires? All I'd be doing is taking a 6-pin cable and adding the +2 pins/wires to it, and since those pins never carry current over them in the first place, I would think this shouldn't be anything difficult or risky -- unless I'm missing something on the spec.

Is there more to the extra +2 pins/wires (Sense + Ground) in an 8-pin that would conflict with soldered wires?

I do not recommend that. Safer is to use the cable that came with the PSU.

My newer RM650 (2019) comes with a type-4 2x12 cable. My older HX1000i comes with a type-3 2x12 cable. They are not interchangeable.

So get the correct cable and do not modify cables like that for safety reasons.

Extra EPS12V cables are low cost from Corsair. Pig-tail dual PCIe cables are shipped with the RMx RMi and RM (2019) PSUs but Corsair sells single braided PCIe cables as well.

Edited by Vegan