Corsair Community

Force 3 120 GB, Win 7 x 64, random lock ups and app crashes.

dbeattie

SSD drive is the boot drive. My firmware is 1.3.3

I built this machine in Jan and since have been experiencing random lock ups, application freezes, and crashes. I do have my drive plugged into the Intel driver and not the Marvell.

Interestingly enough I never see blue screens, usually apps that I'm running that are installed on the drive freeze or crash. It's not any app in particular, it could be IE, chrome, or VS2010.

I don't necessarily blame the SSD as it could be a number of things as you know but having built many machines I have a feeling it is. I'm posting to find out the best way to troubleshoot if it is the drive and possible ways to fix it.

Thanks.

Which memtest, there's a memtest by hcidesign and memtest86+?

I'm not sure if I'm using the rst driver. I installed the latest drivers for my motherboard so if installing the rst driver was extra, then I guess no. Should I be using it?

-Before you install the IRST drivers, Check and see if the SSD is plugged into the Intel SATA 6GB/S port.

From the ASUS product page.

Intel® Z68 chipset :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue

Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Support Intel® Smart Response Technology on 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family

Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *3

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

JMicron® JMB362 controller : *3

1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red

Link to IRST

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

Which memtest, there's a memtest by hcidesign and memtest86+?
memtest86+

I'm not sure if I'm using the rst driver. I installed the latest drivers for my motherboard so if installing the rst driver was extra, then I guess no. Should I be using it?

If you installed Intel chipset driver only, then no, the RST driver is not included. You can check by looking at your system tray, you should find a system tray symbol called Intel Rapid Storage Technology. If it's installed, you might have to disable the LPM feature with a registry fix. You don't have to use Intel RST, the standard Microsoft MSAHCI driver works as well.

Like Toasted already mentioned, make sure your SSD is connected to the very first Intel SATA3 port (gray). If there is any other drive connected to the second SATA3 port, it might be worth a try to leave this port blank and connect this drive to any other Intel SATA2 port (blue).

Hi,

I'm encountering a similar problem using a Thinkpad W520. At random times I see that system is trying to access the ssd, but there seems to be not feedback. This is normally ongoing for about 10 - 180 seconds, within this periode there is no reaction on the systems only HDD light is active. Afterwards everything is ongoing like there was nothing. This is going to happen at system startup to. No Bluescreens, using Intel Rapid Storage Technology accoding to the system tray. To my best knowledge there is no fix for LPM feature installed. Any help is highly apreciated.

I have the exact same problem with my Thinkpad Z61p.

Same "freezes". The machine does not hang but all HD access hangs for

the periods as below.

Tried the disc in a Thinkpas Edge and there are no such problems so the'

disc is ok.

This is either a problem with the chipset in the Thinkpads or a driver problem.

The Thinkpads are quite common machines with common Intel chipsets...

Whereever the problem is Corsair should fix this asap. I can replace my disk but LOTS of other customers will blame Corsair quality.

/Martin

ma1999(at)jma.se

Hi,

I'm encountering a similar problem using a Thinkpad W520. At random times I see that system is trying to access the ssd, but there seems to be not feedback. This is normally ongoing for about 10 - 180 seconds, within this periode there is no reaction on the systems only HDD light is active. Afterwards everything is ongoing like there was nothing. This is going to happen at system startup to. No Bluescreens, using Intel Rapid Storage Technology accoding to the system tray. To my best knowledge there is no fix for LPM feature installed. Any help is highly apreciated.

I have the same issue on a Thinkpad T60p (Windows 7 32-bit). As this is a notebook it has one HDD only. Since I changed the HDD with a Corsair Force 3 120 GB with current firmware 1.3.3 I have partially freezes every day, often starting about 10 to 30 minutes after booting or after a wakeup from power saving mode. A freeze lasts about 1 to 3 minutes and happens every some hours.

I was able to take some screenshots from windows 7 resource manager during a partial freezes and it is always the same behavior: 100% SSD activity but no I/O.

As there might be some problems with AHCI I replaced the “Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller” driver with the one from Intel “Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller” but with this driver the freezes are more frequent and last up to 10 minutes and more. So this is no alternative.

I do not recommend this product anymore as long as the Corsair does not fix this behavior.

My drive degraded today to the point of becoming unusable. I managed to stay booted long enough to make another W7 boot DVD. First my VS2010 wouldn't open then other weird things started happening mostly freezes and reboots/crashes.

For now I'm going back to a traditional drive, this couldn't have happened at a more inconvenient time.

Same problem here, just bought a Force 3 120GB, 1.3.3 already on it. It freezes randomly (though maybe it happens more often when I use bigger data, such as installing a software or using ATTO). When I analyze the minidump file, I see that the problem is caused by "csrss.exe" (but it's clearly related to the drive).

Since I sell these SSD, I could have a replacement from my dealer, but I guess it's not MY OWN drive that is faulty. Suggestions?

Oh, I'm from Italy, so I'd like not to use a RMA procedure if possible.

After spending hours upon hours testing and etc. I've concluded that my SSD drive is PERFECTLY FINE. The problem seems to be with the horrible SATA controllers on my p8z68-v pro gen3.

I have my SSD in another machine and it's been running perfectly. I did test my memory as was mentioned I do and it's fine as well. I'd like to skip this mobo across a lake right now.

Interesting. Lots of users are so quick to blame the SSD, where in reality, it could be their motherboard not quite supporting the SATA3 standard. Or it could be the SATA cable as well.

That's why some people find perfect stability/operation when switching to the SATA2 port.

How big a percentage of RMA'ed drives are actually faulty and how many of the drives would work prefectly well in another PC? We can only guess...

Interesting. Lots of users are so quick to blame the SSD, where in reality, it could be their motherboard not quite supporting the SATA3 standard. Or it could be the SATA cable as well.

That's why some people find perfect stability/operation when switching to the SATA2 port.

How big a percentage of RMA'ed drives are actually faulty and how many of the drives would work prefectly well in another PC? We can only guess...

I agree, I jumped to quickly to blame the SSD drive. Although I wanted to make sure I thoroughly tested what I could and test the SSD in with a separate MB/system before I thought about a RMA.

Archived