Corsair Community

Vengeance 1500 v2 horrible sound quality

JasSmith87

I had a pair of v1 until they recently broke. So I went to the store and bought the v2's without hesitation and they sound just awful. The bass is distorted, everything sounds muddy like I am listening through a sock.

I am running windows 8.1 have the 2.0 drivers installed (I know I dont get surround for now). I have also tried installing the 1.1 drivers like I had with my v1's and I still cant get anywhere near the same sound quality. It's like all high range response is just missing.

What can I do to make these sound like the v1's or are the v2's just a lower quality device? I can't even make them sound as good as a pair of earbuds plugged into the onboard audio (which is how I am playing games now).

The only differences i see on the product pages is the frequency response.

V1500 v2

Frequency Response: 40Hz – 20kHz +5/-5dB, -10dB @ 35Hz

V1500

Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz

If possible, can you try the headset on another computer? Does it sound better or still sound the same?

I brought the headset into work today so I could test out with some other headsets people have around the office. So far I have found my 1500 v2's sound the same as one of my co-workers v2's and neither of them sound very good compared to his older v1's which he has now switched back to after this comparison.

I'm willing to wait until the drivers come out because I have 30 days to return them, but this is really not the device it used to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have this same issue, but I really feel like if I had them RMA'd then I would still have the same issue. It is more than the muddy sound with me- my microphone in windows 7 64 sounds good, but then in game is very low and static filled.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to chime in here. I have a v1, RMA'd several times over the course of the 2yr warranty, that just a few days ago had the right ear cup joint snapped by accident. I went to a local store and got a v2, but the v1 cord is still attached and plays audio fine so I could use them for reference even if they aren't practical to wear anymore.

The sound quality of the v2s, with the beta driver, is just muddy and muffled.

I connected my v2's on my older driver. They sound bad, compared to the v1's. I uninstall the old driver and install the new beta driver, and the v2's still sound bad. Then I restart my computer and I get the booming audio @ 1/100 setting. I honestly dont know, I am seriously considering giving up on Corsair. The v1 had problematic cord failure near the inline volume control, and AFAIK the old L/R audio swap issue never got a fix. I looked into the forum here and find that they have a driver issue greater than 1 month old with Win8 and other users (like the ones in this thread) confirm the other audio concerns I have.

I'm giving Corsair the 30 days I have to return the product I bought to the store, or I'm probably just giving up on them forever. Their customer support for RMA's has been wonderful, but the gamble of $100 with their drivers is too risky. Its just not worth it if it's going to be such a hassle, and I have no guarantee that this will be fixed (if it indeed even can be). :/

Well I ordered a headset and separate mic from Amazon and gave them a few days, nice to say its much better than the v2's in quality and cost me $20 less as well. I returned the Corsair 1500 to the electronics store today and I think its safe to say they wont be missed too much.

I had a pair of v1 until they recently broke. So I went to the store and bought the v2's without hesitation and they sound just awful. The bass is distorted, everything sounds muddy like I am listening through a sock.

I am running windows 8.1 have the 2.0 drivers installed (I know I dont get surround for now). I have also tried installing the 1.1 drivers like I had with my v1's and I still cant get anywhere near the same sound quality. It's like all high range response is just missing.

What can I do to make these sound like the v1's or are the v2's just a lower quality device? I can't even make them sound as good as a pair of earbuds plugged into the onboard audio (which is how I am playing games now).

it's true, v2s are too much bassy

Its not the V2's, it's the drivers, for music I use Razer Surround which gives really good sound quality but seems to glitch in 7.1 surround (glitchy response) for some games, but for music and nonfps gaming its the way to go, im amazed that they released a product without even finishing drivers so they would work properly..

Still, the Razer Surround drivers give superior sound quality over Corsairs drivers

Archived