Corsair Community

Can you test a power supply just by plugging it into the computer?

hanawasaku

I have been building a computer by myself and have come to the conclusion that my power supply doesn't have enough watts to power it. However, I need verification. A little over a month ago, I finished building my computer and it was fully functional. Maybe 5 minutes after it worked fine and I restarted it, it wouldn't turn on anymore. I already swapped out my mobo and processor. I tested my power supply on other computers and it'll power them fine. Can you just test a power supply by plugging it in and turning it on? Also, I used a voltage meter on the back of the meter and it says there's 0V when it's plugged into my computer. It says about 12V when plugged into other computers. Thank you very much.

Can you just test a power supply by plugging it in and turning it on?

No , the PSU has to sense a load before it will power up. You can use a paperclip and a couple of case fans to trick the PSU so it will start outside the case.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

I used a voltage meter on the back of the meter and it says there's 0V when it's plugged into my computer. It says about 12V when plugged into other computers. Thank you very much.

Where are you taking these measurements from and what part of the MB or PSU?

If it wont power up your system , but powers up another systems you could be fairly sure that the PSU is not your issue.

What memory are you using , have you tested it, and have you tried to start the machine with just one stick installed?

You might also want to check all your MB stand-offs to be sure all the mounting screws are tight so there is no ground issue.

Does your MB have an onboard power and reset button? If so have you tried to start the machine using those?

Could you please fill out your system spec in the drop-down menu so we can see what your components are and that would help us, help you better. Without knowing what you have it would be impossible to diagnose any potential issues .

Archived