Corsair Community

Front fan on 650D has started to rattle

Quiz

Few days ago, I noticed a rattling sound coming from my 650D. Turns out it is the front fan but it only rattles if the fan controller is at max speed and the front dust filter is attached. If I remove the dust filter but leave the fan controller on max speed, the noise is gone. If I leave the dust filter on but reduce the fan speed on the controller, the noise is gone. Basically, the noise only happens when the dust filter is attached and the fan controller speed is set to max.

Any ideas?

Okay, what if I want to replace the front 200 mm fan and the rear 120 mm fan? I have and use a H100 with AP-15 fans up top which works great. Low noise is high priority but not at the sacrifice of significant cooling performance. I don't want to do any mods so please keep that in mind.

well this I think are your best option for silence (the less dba

for rad fan one of the best with highest static pressure is the SP120 pwm high performance edition but if you are worried about noise then

on the rad (less dba and higher static pressure mmH2O is best option)

AP-15 1850 RPM 58.3 CFM 2.9 mmH2O 30 dba

corsair sp120 quiet 1450 RPM 37.8 CFM 1.29 mmH2O 23 dba

nf-f12 1500 RPM 93.4 CFM 2.6 mmH2O 22.4 dba

for the 200mm fan (maybe there are others) but the better noise/performance ratio fans I could find were the

cooler master megaflow (110cfm/19dba), NZXT FZ-200 (103cfm/20dba),

Apevia CF20SL (125cfm/20dba)

Thanks.

What about the BitFenix 200 mm fans? Lastly, I wasn't looking for rad fans. Just a 200 mm front intake fan and a 120 mm rear exhaust fan. What 120 mm exhaust fan would you recommend?

Will the Cooler Master MegaFlow fit without any modding? I'll just have to move the HDD cage, right? Will I be able to use the screws that come with the fan to mount it or will I need some specific or special screws?

See my response to your post on Overclock.net. In a nutshell, the only 200mm fan that will fit without modding or removing the front HDD cages is the stock Corsair fan.

As for the rattle, you first need to isolate what is rattling. While running the front fan full blast and the filter in place, press your fingers against the filter to see if that will stop or reduce the rattle.

Some more questions/ideas...

1. How is the Cooler Master MegaFlow 200? I know I'll have to move the HDD cages back. Is it a "drop-in" fit? Meaning no mods required and the regular screws will work/mount the fan?

2. I've read/heard that fans that move a lot of air start making "sounds" when placed up against a filter. Is this true? Will I have this issue with the MegaFlow 200 and the stock filter on the front of the case?

3. How would the MegaFlow 200 compare to the BitFenix Spectre and Spectre Pro? How would it compare to the Aero Cool linked by thenosbod?

4. How loud is the stock 120 mm rear fan on the 650D? Thinking of replacing it too. Should I get the AF120 Performance Edition or the Quiet Edition?

I have a bitfenix spectre pro 200mm on the front of my case and a 230 on the side panel.

MegaFlow 200 Blue LED Silent Fan

Model R4-LUS-07AB-GP

Dimension (W x H x D) 200 x 200 x 30 mm

Speed (R.P.M.) 700 RPM

Air Flow (CFM) 110 CFM

Air pressure (mmH2O) 0.595 mm H2O

Noise 19 dBA

BitFenix Spectre PRO 200mm Fan

- Dimensions (mm): 200x200x25mm

- Current (A): 0.28A ±10%

- Speed (RPM): 900 RPM ±10%

- Air Flow (CFM): 148.72 CFM ±10%

- Air Pressure (mmH2O): 1.26 mmH2O

- Noise (dB-A): 27.5 dB(A)

BitFenix Spectre 230mm Fan - Black

- Dimensions (mm): 230 x 30

- Current (A): 0.18

- Speed (RPM): 700-900

- Air Flow (CFM): 115

- Noise (dB-A): 20

- Air Pressure (mmH2O): 2.52

Black 200mm Case Fan

•Fan Speed: 1000RPM.

•Air Flow: Up to 92 CFM.

•Noise: 28.8dBA.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/black-200mm-case-fan

Aero Cool Dark Force Fan - Black - 200mm

Specifications:-

- Dimensions: 200 x 200 x 20 mm (W x H x D)

- Color: Black

- Speed: 700 r / min

- Air flow: 98 m³ / h = 57.68062 CFM

- Static Pressure: 1.11 mm H2O

- Noise level: 20.5 dB (A)

Thanks! However, I think the CFM of the "stardard" Spectre is wrong in your list. It is around 40-50.

By the way, is the MegaFlow a simple "drop-in" fit with the 650D? Just remove the stock fan and screw-in the MegaFlow (after moving the HDD cages)?

On the 650D thread on OverClock.net, the CM MegaFlow has been reported as being much quieter than the BitFenix Spectre and seems to be the most popular fan to swap into the 650D. Neither will fit in the case without modification.

A 230mm fan will either be throttled by the front grill and, if the case is opened up for maximum airflow, it will weaken the case too much.

Any fan will make noise unless that perforated front grill is surgically removed. The front filter is far enough away from the fan to reduce the amount of noise passing though the filter. I have the CM Megaflow in my case with the perforated grill removed and a finer filter mesh on the front filter and I can barely hear it when it is running full blast.

You can move one cage to the third cage position to make room for a thicker fan, such as the MegaFlow. Trying to move both there will get in the way of the MOBO. Also, two cages need to be supported top and bottom, something you wouldn't be able to do in the third position. If you move the front two cages back a bit, you will be unable to secure the top without some serious surgery; it would be much easier to cut away the front grill and modify a CM MegaFlow to fit from the front.

The specs for the Aero Cool look attractive, especially since no modification should be necessary.

Thanks.

What about the rear 120 mm fan that comes with the 650D? Is it worth replacing it with the AF120 Performance Edition or the AF120 Quiet Edition? Will it improve cooling and noise levels? In terms of loudness, where does the 650D's stock 120 mm rear fan end up when compared to the AF120 Performance Edition and the AF120 Quiet Edition?

quote from Lady Fitzgerald

A 230mm fan will either be throttled by the front grill and, if the case is opened up for maximum airflow, it will weaken the case too much.

the BitFenix Spectre PRO 200mm actual fan size was actually smaller across the fan blades than the corsair 200mm fan that it replaced

Dimensions (mm): 230x200x30mm which is the outer case size.

the corsair fan I took off measured 200mm across the blades.

BitFenix Spectre PRO 230mm - Black

- Dimensions (mm): 230x200x30mm

- Current (A): 0.41A ±10%

- Speed (RPM): 900 RPM ±10%

- Air Flow (CFM): 156.27 CFM ±10%

- Air Pressure (mmH2O): 1.81 mmH2O

- Noise (dB-A): 25.6 dB(A)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-007-BX&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=2335

Where did you get 230x200x30mm?

Ok, fair 'nuff.

I found it a bit strange. The bitfenix spectre pro 200 mm and 230 mm have fans of the same diameter, which is about 10mm less than the original corsair 200m fan! I am happy with both of my spectre pro's.:laughing::laughing:

Thanks.

What about the rear 120 mm fan that comes with the 650D? Is it worth replacing it with the AF120 Performance Edition or the AF120 Quiet Edition? Will it improve cooling and noise levels? In terms of loudness, where does the 650D's stock 120 mm rear fan end up when compared to the AF120 Performance Edition and the AF120 Quiet Edition?

The performance edition should definitely be an improvement cooling the case, don't think there's going to be a big difference in terms of loudness, but the quiet edition will definitely be silent compare to the stock one but you will have less airflow.

The performance edition should definitely be an improvement cooling the case, don't think there's going to be a big difference in terms of loudness, but the quiet edition will definitely be silent compare to the stock one but you will have less airflow.

Any idea where I can find the specs of the stock 650D rear exhaust fan?

Any idea where I can find the specs of the stock 650D rear exhaust fan?

all the 120mm fans listed on

http://www.corsair.com/en/parts-and-accessories/case-parts-and-accessories

don't have the specs, the only one that has specs for your case is the 200mm

http://www.corsair.com/en/black-200mm-case-fan

•Fan Speed: 1000RPM.

•Air Flow: Up to 92 CFM.

•Noise: 28.8dBA.

maybe someone from corsair...

So, this is what I am thinking...

Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 for the front intake fan and Corsair AF120 Performance Edition for the rear exhaust fan.

Just so I have this clear:

1. In order to mount the MegaFlow 200 at the front of the case, I'll have to move the HDD cage back, correct? Secondly, will the same screws that are used for the stock 200 mm fan work to mount the MegaFlow 200 or will I need some sort of "special" or other screws? Anything else I should be aware of before trying to buy/install the MegaFlow 200?

2. For the AF120 Performance Edition, this fan is NOT louder than the stock 120 mm rear exhaust fan, correct? If it is not, I'll go for the Performance Edition but if it is louder, I'll have to reconsider (depending on how much louder it is than the stock 120 mm fan).

Thanks

I was going to go for a bigger fan on the front of my case.

But found that I could not move my hard disk tray. with my set up there was not enough room for it. That's why I went for the 25mm thick bitfenix 200mm fan with a slight mod to the hard disk cages.

I would check that the cage will fit in the rear position before you order.

2. I've read/heard that fans that move a lot of air start making "sounds" when placed up against a filter. Is this true? Will I have this issue with the MegaFlow 200 and the stock filter on the front of the case?

if my cage had fitted in the rear position I had planned to use the original corsair fan with its guts cut out as a spacer.

this would have needed some long m4 screws and nuts to secure them all in position.

Archived