Corsair Community

iCUE is so terrible I am considering going back to Logitech

biggins845

Hello

First-time iCUE user here. I've previously had Corsair keyboards but this is my first RGB one (K95).

iCUE is utterly terrible piece of software.

The user interface is pure style over substance. Creating or modifying a lighting profile is very cumbersome and difficult.

For example, I have a UK layout keyboard but many custom profiles I have downloaded from the internet were made for US layouts. This means that there are several keys which are missing (unlit) and they need to be manually added to the profile.

This involves going through each "lighting effect" of the profile (there could be dozens of these) and clicking on the tiny key icon on the screen and manually setting the colour, effects, etc.

Then there was something as simple as setting the default profile. I had to search for how to do this which is how I found these forums. If your customers need to ask on a forum "how do I set the default profile" then you know your software UX is poor.

Now I find I can't save a custom profile to my keyboard, which I have made a thread about, here: https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190069

All in all I am so frustrated with iCUE that I am considering refunding the K95 and going back to my Logitech G810.

Good hardware let down by poor software.

Well, I am not sure you can fault unpaid individuals who spend their free time creating complex lighting schemes for failing to include variations for keyboard layouts from region _________ (insert name). Even if it is not a perfect match, adding in or altering a few keys is a lot less work than trying to create your own from scratch. iCUE is a complex piece of software with a massive level of customization. If you pull down someone's incredibly elaborate profile, it may not be immediately obvious why patterns were applied/created in the manner you see. This is in effect its own language and takes time to learn. Of course, there is no requirement to use these and you have multiple preset lighting schemes that are immediately applied to all keys when selected. The most basic step is to start with those, then look for ways to combine two preset lighting schemes together. The layering of lighting effects is key to creating unique appearances. Then if you want, you start going on from there. Not everybody wants to spend 3 hours making a lighting profile. You don't have to either, but it's nice it is an option. If the whole keyboard could only do 6 rainbow colors and nothing else, it wouldn't be very interesting, but then some people just like plain white. So do I sometimes. Yes, some things could be better. For now, the most valuable piece of information I can give you is to use either SHIFT + drag or CTRL drag to highlight groups or individual keys when trying to add or remove a lighting effect. Everyone learns this the one the hard way after clicking on a single key with a left click and watching all the lighting go out -- save one.

The Hardware Profile you are looking for is named "K95P HW1" (and HW2, HW3). I will detail that in your other thread.

Edited by c-attack

Oh yeah, my problem is definitely not with the generous people creating custom profiles. I'm just talking about the iCUE software itself.

And I've just discovered (from your reply in my other thread) that the keyboard isn't capable of storing all lighting effects in the on-board memory.

The software should at least tell you that. A message with something like "Sorry; you can't save this profile to your keyboard because it contains too many effects" or something.

Hallo wir haben auch ein Problem mit der Tastatur K95 Platinium mit der Icue. Auch nach mehreren Versuchen die OSD anzeige Rechts zu aktievieren ist nach dem Update die rechte Anzeige nicht mehr da wo kleine Fenster sind und angezeigt wird was gerade gemacht wird oder welche tasten für was sind? kann da jemand helfen da in Deutschland kein telefonischer Support mehr ist was ich sehr schade finde für solch ein Renomiertes Unternehmen und was die Nummer 1 werden will.