Corsair Community

H100i RGB PRO XT newbie question

Chippyboy

Hi guys

Please forgive the newbie question but I have not built a PC for nearly 20 years, so am more than a little rusty! (Plus it's all changed since I built my AMD XP2500 system!)

I have an Asus Crosshair X570 motherboard and am trying to figure out what to connect to what, with respect to the H100i. I had assumed (before I got the kit) that I would connect the pump to the MB's AIO Pump header, and the fans to two CPU fan headers, CPU_Fan and CPU_Opt fan. Is that correct?

Also, do I need to connect a sata connector? I've seen an online video where they connect a sata connector. And connect the fans to the pump???

I am confused! Only ever wired up air coolers before, and that's a lot more straightforward!

Thanks for any advice

PS, I should mention, the only need I may have for any RGB control, is to turn it off.

Edited by Chippyboy

It doesn’t really matter where you connect the lead from the H100i XT. All it does on that model is report a pump speed to the BIOS. Most people will want it on CPU fan to solve (take advantage of) the CPU safety boot feature. Something must be on cpu fan to boot and this header will also give you a warning if it can’t detect the cooler. There is nothing special about the AIO header on most motherboards. It’s just a chassis fan header preset to 100%. It was a marketing gimmick that came too late after most coolers had gone to SATA and its own onboard fan controller.

You will use a SATA connector from one of the PSU ribbon lines to power the unit.

The fans should go on the XT’s internal fan controller unless you are attempting to run a non-software set up for Linux or something similar. Even then, the fan behavior can be set in iCUE and will persist without the software. The same goes for lighting with a software set of effects and hardware saved lighting when it’s not running, including static 0,0,0 off.