Corsair Community

H115i correct FAN installation on MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z270

Taaani

Hello there,

I bought a new system with the H115i Liquid Cooler on a MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Board. It seems everything is right so far.

At the moment the 2 Fans (4pin) of the pump are installed with the Y Plug (4pins fan to 3pin plug) on the CPU_Fan port (3pin). The other 3 case fans (2 at the front (pulls air inside) and 1 on the backside (pulls air outside)) are installed on the sys_fan 1-3.

My board has also a Pump_Fan Port (4 Pins). There are two different fan plug types. PWM mode (4 Pins with adjustment signal) and DC mode (3 Pins with voltage control).

I don't know if the current installation of the fans are correct installed. And otherwise I'm asking me why the Corsair Fans with 4 Pins should be installed with the included 3 pins plug.

Is there are any combination possibilities how I can install the h115i Cooler in my system or why the Y plug exists?

I hope somebody can help me.

GreetZz from Germany

Taaani

At the moment the 2 Fans (4pin) of the pump are installed with the Y Plug (4pins fan to 3pin plug) on the CPU_Fan port (3pin).

This is how it should be.

The Y cable allows two fans to be controlled by one fan controller. One of the connectors has pin-3 absent as this is the speed signal and only one of the fan speeds can be reported.

All right thanks a lot! That makes sense.

Do you have any idea for what the Pump_Fan Plug is used for? Maybe for other types of liquid cooling systems?

I know that is maybe a MSI specific question. But there is no instruction in the user manual of my board.

GreetZz Taaani

I expect the pump header is really for custom loop cooling when you have a separate pump. Most fan headers are limited to 1.0 amps and that may be more, some ASUS ones are 3.0 amps.

The H115i is really a fan/pump controller that happens to contain a pump.

There is a manual, see https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#down-manual

I also was wondering what the pump header is for. Very misleading as one would assume you would plug the "pump" into the "pump" header. Just trying to clarify this. So the correct setting is pump into CPU fan header and fans into y connector IF using Corsair Link. If I would rather use MSI software to control the two cooler fans, can't I plug them into regular fan headers? Thanks.

If you are going to run the fans from the motherboard, you can put them on on the CPU_FAN and the H100iv2 header on the "water pump header". There is nothing special about these water pump headers. It is just a chassis fan header renamed for marketing purposes and now with a default setting of 100% instead of CPU temperature. On most boards, it can be turned back into a normal case fan header from within the BIOS. Regardless of how you decide to connect, make sure the H100i v2 header get a full 12v supply and something has to be on CPU_FAN (pump or fan) in order to boot up.

Archived