Corsair Community

Connecting 8 QL fans to a commander pro

Blindsay04

Hey all,

About to do a new build and I think I have the RGB sorted but just want to make sure this will actually work.

I already own a Commander Pro (As well as one RGB Fan led hub). I will be buying 8x QL120 fans and I already have 4 of the LED strips

I see the 3 pack of the QL's come with a Lighting node core. Can I just plug 2 of those lighting node core's into the commander pros usb headers (I have nothing else that requires them) and then plug the LED strips into channel 1 of the commander pro. I know for power the commander pro only has 6 headers so I would just use a power splitter on 2 of them

That sound ok?

Yes, that will work and you can pass the USB connections from the Core(s) through the Commander. You don't have to use the Core and the QL will work on the Commander + RGB Lighting hub like other fans. However, you will need at least one core because of the numbers of fans (8) and the need to save 1 RGB channel on the Commander for the strips. The Core devices are fans only.

FYI - When using two of any device, they don't always load in the same order. Sometimes Core A is first. Sometimes Core B. The only way around that is to dump some of the QL back onto the Commander Channel 1. That would then define the global lighting order as Core -> Commander RGB 1 -> Commander RGB 2. The only reason to worry about that is if you are keen on using the Lighting Link Visor or Color Wave effects where order matters. 8 fans could be a 680x, but then it likely doesn't matter as you are running 6 + 2.

Yes, that will work and you can pass the USB connections from the Core(s) through the Commander. You don't have to use the Core and the QL will work on the Commander + RGB Lighting hub like other fans. However, you will need at least one core because of the numbers of fans (8) and the need to save 1 RGB channel on the Commander for the strips. The Core devices are fans only.

FYI - When using two of any device, they don't always load in the same order. Sometimes Core A is first. Sometimes Core B. The only way around that is to dump some of the QL back onto the Commander Channel 1. That would then define the global lighting order as Core -> Commander RGB 1 -> Commander RGB 2. The only reason to worry about that is if you are keen on using the Lighting Link Visor or Color Wave effects where order matters. 8 fans could be a 680x, but then it likely doesn't matter as you are running 6 + 2.

Great, Thanks for the help and tips. I will just be doing a static color so I should be ok there. Case will be a Phanteks Enthoo Pro II as I will be doing a dual system build and the 1000D was a bit much for me (especially with the ek distro plate and all these QL fans lol)